Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: D&D 3.5e: The Librarian's Tomb  (Read 9647 times)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5e: The Librarian's Tomb
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2016, 02:33:31 pm »

I'd really love to, but you are fifteen hours ahead of me, so playing at 5 PM for you is 2 in the morning for me. How long do you plan on sessions lasting?
I think the general idea should be "if you cast spells regularly as part of your class, you can't be involved".
I think it's since casting spells lets you cast from scrolls, any spellcaster would make the dungeon super easy, since there are hundreds of scrolls just lying around. hence, we need to use UMD.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2016, 02:42:04 pm »

Yes. :P
Black lives matter.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2016, 02:49:15 pm »

Classes that have no spell casting (not including NPC classes) are... fighters, rogues, barbarian, monk, swordsage, warblade, crusader, expert, swashbuckler, and samurai, off the top of my head?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2016, 02:54:48 pm »

Also arguably Binder, Artificer, Factotum, and Psion, but that's up for debate. And Scout, Soulknife, and Marshal, but those are definitely in the clear, just not very memorable classes.

Edit: Oh, and also there's that one class that we don't talk about that doesn't sort but sort of does cast spells.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 02:58:57 pm by My Name is Immaterial »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2016, 03:10:55 pm »

Yeah, I deliberately left out Psionics.

I forgot about scout, and I don't think I've ever even heard of a marshal tbh.
I thought binders have spellcasting, but it turns out not. Fair enough.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2016, 03:28:41 pm »

Yeah, it was in the Miniatures Handbook, which I'm pretty sure no one ever used.

Skyrunner, how would you feel if I rolled up a spellless ranger? It's an alternate class feature in the Complete Champion.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2016, 03:31:08 pm »

Oh, I made a couple of favoured souls, but imagined they'd be too spell-castery for this.

Shame, because I do like them.

Additional question for skyrunner: Are we permitted to take LA templates? Flaws?

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2016, 08:10:20 pm »

Duskblades, bards, warlocks, rangers, and favored souls, oh my!:

I think the important difference is that duskblades, bards, warlocks and rangers have a separate spell list, while favored souls simply draw from the cleric list. So, favored souls would not be allowed (and indeed be too spellcaster-y), while the former four are fine. Also, the Artificer seems to have an infinite spell list (on the random spell generator, artificers appear nearly 80% of the time)... so probably not ok.

Also, the ranger barely gets any spells per day, so it's probably fine.

(And no Psions :v)

Generally, Tier 3~4 should be fine.

Scrolls possibly too easy:
If this is a concern, it's pretty easy to rectify! The srd rules for spell scrolls (without UMD) is:

- Correct type of magic (arcane / divine)
AND
- Spell is on class spell list
AND
- Ability score high enough

If ...
- the second rule is edited to be "You know the spell"
and
- If the spell is on your spell list but you don't know the spell, you need some sort of skill check (perhaps Spellcraft) to cast it without UMD

are added, then you can both play a spellcaster and still enjoy the scroll concept :P How does this sound? (I will definitly clarify the UMD:Scroll and Scrolls rules before the game starts)

(Additionally, since your supplies are running out, the party will probably only get one or two rests total. Scrolls hopefully useful.)

Lore:
Per the nature of this one-off adventure, there isn't much lore about the world. However, the Librarian's Tomb does have some.

Many hundreds of years ago, a group of well-intended but ultimately mislead heroes attempted to seal away all the magic in the world. They failed, of course--but to some mages, this was a neverbefore seen threat to their power, and their legacy. One powerful mage in particular, whose name is lost to history and is known only as the Librarian, decided that she must preserve all the magic in the world. She cast scroll upon scroll, hired many others to create scrolls for her, and near the end of her life even started summoning and permanently destroying fiends and elementals for their natural spell-like abilities. But as her archiving tendencies became more and more dratastic, she was more and more ostracized from the mage community. One day, she suddenly disappeared. While some were curious, nobody was curious enough to actually go looking for her. The Librarian was never seen again. While rumors abounded of where her Library was, none have actually found it, until now.

It rather sucks that you stumbled into the Library, rather than simply finding it.

LA Templates: Sure!
Flaws: No flaws, but you do get a free extra feat at lv1 regardless of class or race, and one every odd level. So, that's 4 feats total at lv5, or 5 if you are human.

Time: It seems it will be Saturday 5pm China time (which iirc is GMT+8).
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 01:15:07 am by Skyrunner »

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2016, 08:26:52 pm »

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2016, 08:29:39 pm »

OK, what format do you want the sheet in? Posted in thread? On mythweavers?

I've not used roll20 to my memory, so I don't know if it needs an account or the like.

Also, damn, that's a lot of extra feats. Hmm...

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2016, 09:48:45 pm »

5pm China time happens to be 5am for me, but I'll.. see if I can work it out? :P
Black lives matter.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2016, 11:52:16 pm »

OK, what format do you want the sheet in? Posted in thread? On mythweavers?

I've not used roll20 to my memory, so I don't know if it needs an account or the like.

Also, damn, that's a lot of extra feats. Hmm...
Mythweavers had a pretty nice sheet format last time I checked, so that would be cool.

Roll20 needs a signup but otherwise nothing too hassleful.

5pm China time happens to be 5am for me, but I'll.. see if I can work it out? :P

Sorry bout that :(

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2016, 12:00:53 am »

It's no problem sniff, actually. If it's more convenient for everyone else than you have your game. :)
Black lives matter.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2016, 02:05:08 pm »

To poke the interest check, I'd be in favor of Saturday as well.

Tho I would not be able to play before 9 (Tho I probably the AM/PM mixed up)-even that would be a bit of a squeeze. Also I have computer restrictions at the moment, that mean while I could use Roll20, IRC would be out-and so would voice chat.

In short, I might enter a character when you lock down a time+day+means to play.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2016, 05:59:38 pm »

It's nice to see you trying a D&D game gain, Sky. I'd join but I've been having troubles and the timezone difference might be a problem. Still, good luck and I hope you and the players have fun.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9