Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Snow Dwarfs  (Read 1397 times)

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
Snow Dwarfs
« on: March 11, 2016, 07:52:33 am »

Hi guys!
I'm a dwarf from the freezing glaciers of the north and I'm a dabbling modder  not a modder so I'm asking you the dwarfs from the south for help in creating few creatures ;).
The story is that I wanted a challenge that my dwarfs could fight but not always win 8). So I heard of modding and decided to create orcs. I created the orcs by creating a new creature based off goblins and I just wanted somebody to look at the orcs and make sure that I didn't do something stupid(big body tiny eyes or something like that). I also wanted the orcs to have some beginning skills in weapons like swords etc. and be big and of course I don't know how to do that. I'm sure you have some ideas for other ways to make the orcs harder (I know I can make them [TRAPAVOID].
Orcs:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I also wanted to make dwarfs that are just normal but made of ice and I don't know how to make them not melt in normal temperatures but melt in fire and magma.

I started working on dragonblood (dragon people) and I wanted to make them breath fire and this I know how to do but is it possible to breath fire in adventure mode with those guys?

Which token makes the creatures bigger?
Sorry for being a noob :(.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 10:31:01 am by snow dwarf »
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Slidey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Snow Dwarfs
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 03:30:25 pm »

Keeping them from melting is possible by changing either their material or giving them a HOMEOTHERM tag thats colder than their melting point. edit: so basically you change their material melting point to be higher and a bit more than summer temps for what you want.

some resources here
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Modding_guide

« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 03:51:00 pm by Slidey »

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 02:50:29 am »

Thanks a lot :). I already new about the modding guide but thanks anyway :D.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 11:16:46 am »

If your creature can actually spit fire, pressing [ x ] in adv mode will let you do it.

I'm not a modder, but looking at other creature raws and reverse-engineering has helped me a bit in the past.
One wheel short of a wagon

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 09:46:41 am »

So "just normal but made of ice" can be a lot more complicated.  Right now, dwarves are made of many materials, skin, bones, fat, muscle, teeth, etc.  If you replace all of these materials with ice, it's going to have a big impact on how they function in combat, since they could chip instead of bruise or shatter instead of get a broken bone. 

The easy way to do this would be to grab one of material based creatures like gabbromen and replace the gabbro material with ice and then just copy in the dwarfy traits like personality, size and stride. 

If you're looking at creature files to learn how to make creatures, the dwarf file is probably the largest in the whole game.  Start with something like a lion because it will be shorter. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Slidey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 03:48:02 am »

If you do this, maybe you could later make snow/ice variations of normal creatures too (Theres a file to apply variations to a lot of creatures---giant etc etc)