Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 88

Author Topic: ORO: ANOTHER QUESTION  (Read 114634 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: ORO: Character sheet
« Reply #1245 on: April 08, 2017, 08:04:27 pm »

So here's a thing

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In order to prevet issues people had with DIG, starting skills now get a boost up from zero by governing stats, though increasing the stats later doesn't increase the skill.

If you guys would like, It would be nice if you could fill in a character sheet (really just a list of your numbers for all stats and skills), just so I could see what the distribution is like and work from there. Oh and when it says "Average" I mean add the two numbers and then divide by 2 to get a number that is the average of the two stats.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: April 08, 2017, 09:26:39 pm »

Ors, Brute Librarian

Strength: 23 + 7 = 30
Dexterity: 18
Endurance: 19
Mind: 13
Will: 14
Speed: 14 + 3 = 17

Spoiler: skills (click to show/hide)

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: April 09, 2017, 02:39:41 am »

Hope I did this right
Spoiler: Sorrow (click to show/hide)
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: April 09, 2017, 04:37:01 am »

I see you are rounding down, Egan.

Explosive and unarmed should be 9, though.

I can't help Lupanian as much, unless he shows where he added points.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: April 09, 2017, 04:39:19 am »

You didn't say which way to round so I didn't.

I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: April 09, 2017, 07:50:26 am »

Initial thought on the skills:
-roll 'search' and 'examine' into 1. Seem to overlap a lot.
-remove 'repair', keep 'electronics' and 'mechanics'. Again, overlap, the description even mentions it.

No time right now to create a char, sorry.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1251 on: April 09, 2017, 10:27:01 am »

Initial thought on the skills:
-roll 'search' and 'examine' into 1. Seem to overlap a lot.
-remove 'repair', keep 'electronics' and 'mechanics'. Again, overlap, the description even mentions it.

No time right now to create a char, sorry.
Search, Examine and City lore have overlap, but I thik of it like this.

Search is for stuff like finding traps, hidden walls and loot.
Examine is for deducing things like the worth of an object, the stats of a monster, or mechanical information about the game.
City Lore is for learning about monsters or items in terms of their place in the game world or details that aren't strictly mechanical. Its akin to reading item descriptions in Dark souls.

I suppose I could roll them into one skill.

Repair I could probably safely remove.

You didn't say which way to round so I didn't.

I've updated the rules to clarify that you should round down.

Here's a question I have for you guys. As of right now most of these characters seem to be heavily focused on a few specific skills, generally letting most utility skills stay lowish. If you had more points, would you put them into utility or would you instead put them into other attack stats? I ask because the 3d12 we're using has a curve, so even if you have 10 in a skill, thats like a 7% chance of success. Where as 20 in a skill is a 50% chance. A few points, say from 10 to 15, increases the chance from 7% to 27%. And if 20 is 50% then 25 is 80%.  So people with their utility skills floating in the 10's or so have little chance of being able to do them, but a little bit more and they'd at least have a 25% chance.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: April 09, 2017, 11:26:21 am »

I wouldn't roll them into one skill
they have the same value individually as the individual combat skills do. Roll the utilities together and you gotta start rolling together the various weapon skills too, or risk the same kind of ridiculous imbalance that Dig has.

That said, in answer to your question about putting points into utilities: when has that ever been a viable option for one of your games? You had to modify Dig pretty heavily to make build interesting enough to work for most players, and once it was, it became one of two highly dominant skills - overshadowing pretty much the rest of the game.

I don't know of another of your games where utilities are balanced at all with combat or magic.

So, that said, I would wait until the game starts and see which way the wind blows before making a character. Frequent combat? I'd go combat only. Some practical need for utilities? I'd make something with a mix. Tinker on Wheels (or in a Drill)? Build skill all day long. Except I hate tinker, so in the third option I'd just ... either idle or drive away from the group until I found something interesting.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: April 09, 2017, 12:01:38 pm »

Utility skills are largely based on Mind, which in my case rolled rather low. So I decided that instead of wasting points on low stats I would focus on where I already have high numbers and specialize there. It's simple question of optimizing for your strengths.

Having more points could mean more wider distribution, but on the other hand it could mean even more crippling specialization.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: April 09, 2017, 12:50:05 pm »

I'd probably have invested in utility skills, I was planning on it but ran out of points.

And to answer the question, yes, I did round down. I did all my math on a hotel paper pad, and really didn't feel like transferring the math.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: April 09, 2017, 02:05:42 pm »

I was kinda unlucky with my stats, with high str and fairly low everything else, so I decided to just put points in the one utility I really wanted, and put the rest in combat.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: April 09, 2017, 02:23:00 pm »

Dunno about rolling your own stats. Seems a bit exploitable and unrewarding to me.
One wheel short of a wagon

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1257 on: April 09, 2017, 02:50:57 pm »

Dunno about rolling your own stats. Seems a bit exploitable and unrewarding to me.
The alternative would be "Everything just starts at 15. Here are some points to use"

The major reason for rolling stats is that it is a powerful anti-munchkin tool. And makes balancing somewhat easier.

In any case, I'm gonna probably go for the "Everything starts at this, heres some points."

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: April 09, 2017, 11:40:39 pm »

You could do point value assignment, so each person has 6 tickets with different values and then a few more points to pad out.

So, for example, you have: a 5 point, a 10 point, two 15 point, a 20 point, and a 25 point ticket. Then 20 points to put wherever you want.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: April 10, 2017, 05:04:50 am »

Search is for stuff like finding traps, hidden walls and loot.
Examine is for deducing things like the worth of an object, the stats of a monster, or mechanical information about the game.
City Lore is for learning about monsters or items in terms of their place in the game world or details that aren't strictly mechanical. Its akin to reading item descriptions in Dark souls.

I suppose I could roll them into one skill.
Perhaps keep city lore but combine search and examine, and make it so the differences between the remaining two are clear and people can't substitute the one with a good roll of the other.

The alternative would be "Everything just starts at 15. Here are some points to use"

The major reason for rolling stats is that it is a powerful anti-munchkin tool. And makes balancing somewhat easier.

In any case, I'm gonna probably go for the "Everything starts at this, heres some points."

It's not like people couldn't go for a build that prioritizes flexibility over specialization in DIG (competence be damned) but yeah, starting at a base level in everything at least makes sure people can't stat themselves in a way that makes certain action literally impossible (which a 0 in a skill in DIG does ensure). In ER having negatives didn't prevent you from trying, it just made disaster and hilarity have a high probability.

You could add a skill/stat ceiling that's relatively low when genning characters, so you can only really get good at something after investing in it in-game, and not start out a master. Or perhaps make a few templates yourself people can choose from?

I'd not go with rolling for stats if they tie into your skills so much, it might lock you out of the role you wanted to play due to bad luck.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 88