Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 88

Author Topic: ORO: ANOTHER QUESTION  (Read 114644 times)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: ORO: Senile ghosts bumbling through the magical realm of mutilation
« Reply #1215 on: February 10, 2017, 09:15:04 pm »

Spoiler: Grant Flint (click to show/hide)

Hide in some location where I can close the gap when found/not found and pounce a Spec Ops.

Essentially, divide and conquer here. For the glory of the steel!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: February 10, 2017, 10:58:45 pm »

Any ways out of the pipe? Alternate paths, besides forward and back? Anything in the environment I could rig as a trap, or generally use to my advantage?

Spoiler: Queen wombat (click to show/hide)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1217 on: February 11, 2017, 02:18:59 pm »

Hide in shadows in a dex thing, and no one here has any skill in it. Or even knacks. That means you effectively have a 15% chance of this working. Each.

Wait. We're not cultists of steel are we? We have no desire to strengthen the worm, do we? Are these enemies actually friends?

But no! Metaknowledge says this is a playtest for combat mechanics, so let's get busy!

Grumpy J will find cover and take aim with his long rifle.

((I went off egan's prompt!))
[13]
Yeah so the second you move to get some cover, they hear you and the lights all converge on your stupid face.
[5]
They are not surprised to see you, and thus you cannot avoid them. So now we have combat.

I'm gonna assume that while they do see you, you also get to cover.
Spoiler: Grant Flint (click to show/hide)

Hide in some location where I can close the gap when found/not found and pounce a Spec Ops.

Essentially, divide and conquer here. For the glory of the steel!

[15]
They also see you, but you get some cover about 10 yards from John.

Any ways out of the pipe? Alternate paths, besides forward and back? Anything in the environment I could rig as a trap, or generally use to my advantage?

There's ways out of the pipe both ahead, through the special forces, and behind, away from them. Alternate paths [search check 3, fail] are none and none. As per things you could rig in the environment, the best you've got is probably knocking down some of the more precarious debris that has gathered on the edges of the pipe; large masses of concrete and metal that tangled together and got stuck. That, or maybe find some jagged metal under this sludge and try to knock them onto it.
[roll to continue to be hidden: 14 fail] They see you too.

So combat works like this: First I roll initiative. thats d10+ any dex bonuses. You don't have any dex bonuses. But the soldiers don't either so, even footing at least. I'm rolling the 4 guys as  a single group, for ease.

10 for egan
9 for Gentle
3 for Oz
3 for soldiers

So egan goes first, then gentle, then oz and the soldiers at the same time. Cover is an advantage so it adds +2 to your AC. Still, they're 4 guys with machine guns so I recommend moving quick.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: February 11, 2017, 03:11:34 pm »

Retreat a ways and find an opening to get on top of the pipe.

((...Seriously? It's not that hard to stay in one place to ambush some guys. All we had to do was hide behind the cover we were already behind.))

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: February 11, 2017, 03:40:31 pm »

If the others retreat, run like hell. Otherwise, shoot at the most exposed of the other guys.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: February 11, 2017, 06:05:26 pm »

Spoiler: Grant (click to show/hide)

Any way to get total cover in this area? ie break line of sight completely? I wanna stick 'em with my big slasher but they're too far away. Find that and go to it ASAP. Otherwise duck and wait to murder when they get close.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1221 on: February 11, 2017, 06:48:16 pm »

((...Seriously? It's not that hard to stay in one place to ambush some guys. All we had to do was hide behind the cover we were already behind.))
I didn't say you were in cover. Also you're wading around in knee deep fluid, you think you can slosh through that without people hearing easily?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1222 on: February 12, 2017, 05:11:00 pm »

You slosh a good 200 feet away and get behind a chuck of concrete. You look around for a way up onto the edge of the pipe and you think you might be able to get up there by climbing a big hunk of fallen building over there.

Spoiler: Grant (click to show/hide)

Any way to get total cover in this area? ie break line of sight completely? I wanna stick 'em with my big slasher but they're too far away. Find that and go to it ASAP. Otherwise duck and wait to murder when they get close.
Well, if you put a wall between yourself and them they can't shoot through it...with their guns at least. Breaking line of sight would protect you but losing them completely would be difficult. They're not metal gear solid guards; they're gonna look for you. So for now, you just get some hard cover and hide behind it, waiting for them to get closer.

If the others retreat, run like hell. Otherwise, shoot at the most exposed of the other guys.

So you're acting at the same time as the soldiers, which means you're running under fire. I'm giving you AC +2 because you're a fast moving target.  We have 4 soldiers, 2 are focusing on you, two are heading off to follow gentle.

Both of them are gonna unload 20 shots at you each.  The first one is gonna add 4d6 worth of damage from their attack, the second is gonna add +10 to hit and 2d6.

Your AC is 12, they get +3 on their attack roll. First guy gets a 1 +3 and totally fucking misses. Just sprays lead into thin air. Other guy gets 12 with +3+10 so he hits. 3d6 =1+1+5

-1 Hp. Unconcious, slowly dying.

So John attempts to make a run for it but gets gunned down as he runs.

The other two soliders start slowly advancing towards Gentle's location, with their weapons raised.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: February 12, 2017, 05:21:12 pm »

Is it wrong that I'm kinda rooting for the special forces dudes here?

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1224 on: February 12, 2017, 05:25:24 pm »

Is it wrong that I'm kinda rooting for the special forces dudes here?
I mean, its probably the smart thing. This is a fight between 4 elite soldiers and 3 2 level one characters.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: February 12, 2017, 05:46:02 pm »

"Oh my god, they killed Grumpy! Fucking pigs!"

Assuming that climbing uses str, use my daredevil bonus to increase my str, and then climb on top of the pipe.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1226 on: February 15, 2017, 05:44:20 pm »

YO GENTLE ANY DAY NOW

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: February 16, 2017, 10:40:44 am »

...Son of a gun, my bad.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hide until someone rounds the corner I'm watching, them bum-rush them with my sword.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: ORO: Questions
« Reply #1228 on: April 06, 2017, 10:46:07 pm »

Choose one.

A) A complex and tightly connected, metroidvania style world that requires a fair bit of backtracking and doing similar things.

B) An episodic adventure where there's only limited connection between each event or area, but each is unique and never reused.

Just to gauge opinions.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
Re: ORO: Questions
« Reply #1229 on: April 06, 2017, 10:54:50 pm »

B. Because with timescales we operate here on forums it's easy to forget where we are and where we are going to, especially if something distracting happens along the way.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 88