Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 88

Author Topic: ORO: ANOTHER QUESTION  (Read 115007 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
Re: ORO discussion
« Reply #510 on: May 04, 2016, 10:56:35 am »

Each monster  is a lovingly handcrafted unique character, while every pc is completely generic in every way exept their bios, which are completly ignored by the gm, who refers to them as "subject 1", "subject 2", etc.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 10:58:16 am by Egan_BW »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #511 on: May 04, 2016, 02:42:52 pm »

Yes, a simple system like that would be fine.

The important thing is to say something like:

"This uses a mostly hidden tiered experience system with multiple n-sided dice for attack and defense, and takes environmental bonuses and multipliers into account, while enemies attack according to algorithmic from a random hand from a handcrafted premade deck of cards, attacks taking into accoun risk, poise, damage, weapon range and positioning, defence taking into account reaction, armour level, endurance, poise, agility and faith, while multiple other factors become invovled or uninvolved due to situational modifiers."

As long as you don't tell people what the real system is, everyone's happy.
Ah, the David Cage method.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #512 on: May 04, 2016, 02:43:46 pm »

I've been studying for physics all day but I'll have some time in the hospital tonight to think.

I'm real sorry about being gone so much. Feel like I'm not getting shit done here.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: May 04, 2016, 02:50:25 pm »

When you said you'd have some time in the hospital, I had a half-second of panic before I remembered that you're there for educational purposes.

Anyway, don't sweat it.  Your education/job is more important than entertaining a bunch of monkies online.  And this is finals season anyway, so the only students who're getting anything done that isn't schoolwork are horrible procrastinators like myself.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #515 on: May 04, 2016, 03:50:18 pm »

When you said you'd have some time in the hospital, I had a half-second of panic before I remembered that you're there for educational purposes.

Anyway, don't sweat it.  Your education/job is more important than entertaining a bunch of monkies online.  And this is finals season anyway, so the only students who're getting anything done that isn't schoolwork are horrible procrastinators like myself.

That is a rarely seen contraction there sy.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: May 04, 2016, 04:04:59 pm »

I see you doing something that's not studying pw.

*whip crack noises*

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: May 04, 2016, 04:28:56 pm »

...Huh?  Which one?  "You would", "you are", "do not", "who are", and "is not" all seem pretty standard to me...

Seriously, I'm confused.  Also, apparently I use a lot more contractions than I'd think.  Huh.

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: May 04, 2016, 04:37:49 pm »

I'd

I assume he means "who're". That's one I say all the time, but usually refrain from typing out.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: May 04, 2016, 05:10:39 pm »

Getting on with Procrastination.

... I find the fact that pw needs the least concentration when near actual patients... a little worrying.

Don't get those alpha and gamma source confused!
One wheel short of a wagon

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: May 04, 2016, 05:37:38 pm »

@Doc
You're probably right.  I'm probably gonna forget the apostrophe at some point, and that'll be interesting.  "students whore getting".

@NJW
I don't believe I've ever seen a doctor in a hospital actually concentrate on a patient that they're talking to, though I'd presume they pay more attention during operations and such.  My sister, who is a nurse, has said that doctors are almost all dicks tend to pay very little attention to patients most of the time.

I hope PW's studying to be a nurse and not a doctor, as doctors have very little free time, but I have a half-formed proto memory which says he's gonna be a Doctor.  :\

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: May 04, 2016, 06:28:35 pm »

he's gonna be a Doctor.

"Morning sunshine, you broke your arm in a few places so we lopped it off and put a robot arm in its place." ... "What do you mean it's just a PVC pipe with an oven glove glued on? Well yeah, I don't have an actual robot prostethic yet, those things take time and I'm not some kind of omnipotent wetware ai yet. I mulched your broken arm and made it into a hamburger though, so that's one less hospital meal they'll bill you for."

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #522 on: May 04, 2016, 10:53:02 pm »

Ok so, here's what I came up with between call lights.

Weapons still have range and damage, and a speed value. Speed values are negatives.

4 stats that exist so far, Vit, Dex, Strength, Endurance.

Still using hp with armor. But HP is low. Armor is a buffer.

Basic idea is very similar to the idea I said already; Combatants just roll dice at each other, winner hits.

Range of the weapon adds an "Effective bonus" ie It gives +1 or +2 or whatever to the contest between the dice, but not to the damage dealt. Ie, 3+1 vs 2 would still deal 3 damage.

Speed number is determined by Dex. Your weapon acts as a negative against your natural speed, which is considered to be your speed bare handed.  Speed works like this: Speed is a static number determined by your dex - penalties from weapon and armor.  Your speed only matters when you beat your opponent by double his speed or more. ie 3vs5 doesn't do anything, but 3 vs 6 would. The bonus it gives you is that if you have double speed, you roll two dice, keep the highest. Triple, you roll 3 and keep the highest. etc.

Strength determines the base number of faced die you roll. Ie 6 strength, you roll a D6. 10, D10. Etc. The set damage of the weapon is added to this. Ie, Roll + static weapon damage= damage dealt.

Vit is HP, spread via ratio through the body parts.

Endurance is basically equip load.  Armor gives you extra HP to work with, but it also gives you speed penalties. Points in endurance negate these. Ie, if you have armor with -10  speed, but you have 8 endurance, your effective speed loss is only 2.

I figure this will allow people to create builds based on gear and weapons and such, choose opponents, and then have the fights go very quickly and simply.

Special moves can be used to buff stats, increase bonuses, temporarily change weapon attributes, or enable passive or active effects.

Opinions?

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: May 04, 2016, 11:13:12 pm »

It makes sense to me and everything is inter-connected in ways that make sense.
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: May 04, 2016, 11:48:28 pm »

My inner munchkin weeps at the simplicity.  I suppose the system's fine, though.

Endurance should do more.  The way you described it, it's entirely inferior to speed; for every point of END, you get one less -1 speed from armor weight... but for every point of speed, you get +1 speed, which has the same effect if you're encumbered, and actually has an effect at all if you aren't.

Also, I don't really see the point of buffing anything aside from SPD and STR, at least when only concerned with direct combat.  Spending a lot on VIT/END means SPD/STR builds will almost always hit you, so it just means you wait a while longer to die, practically never getting a hit in.  VIT/END could be buffed if there's environmental traps which just do guaranteed damage, though.

Also, VIT could easily be inferior to END, or vice-versa, since they pretty much exclusively affect the exact same thing.  If ten points of END lets you wear 15 points of armor without penalty, while ten points of VIT grants you 10 HP, nobody smart would pick VIT.  Easy ways to fix that would be to make armor be expensive (so VIT's free, end's not), or to make VIT grant more HP than END grants armor, but you can choose how to distribute armor across the body.

...I've been saying STR/DEX would be best, but it would probably be pure STR.  40 STR means you roll more than 20 half the time, and anyone with less strength than whatever you rolled would find it impossible to hit you, even if they get twenty die due to speed.  Of course, there's a tiny chance of rolling a one or something, but that's so unlikely it scarcely matters, especially since you'll probably one-shot basically anything.

Hmm.  Diminishing returns could sorta balance it, simply by making it worthless to invest in things after a point, but then there probably wouldn't be a lot of individuality between characters.  People munchkins would still level the "best" stat(s) primarily, with the only individuality coming from exactly what they see as breakpoints, and what they think are good secondary stats.  So, you might see STR/VIT, STR/END, and STR/DEX, but anyone who doesn't have one of those three would die if they fought one.  And STR/DEX would probably win against the other two most of the time.

Of course, these statements could all be altered greatly depending on what abilities exist.  For instance, an ability which lets you add your total amount of armor to an attack roll at the cost of some FTH would make a tank char more powerful compared to a STR/DEX char.  However, I doubt abilities would grant much creativity unless there's just tons of them with interconnecting effects, in which case the simplicity is lost.  So, yeah... munchkin's crying.

THIRD EDIT:
Maybe armor could provide DR, rather than additional HP?  And if you take less damage than you have DR, you automatically hit?  That makes a tank build more interesting, and makes the difference between VIT and END more notable.  It acts as a hard counter against DEX, and sorta-kinda counters STR by making it harder for them to one-shot you, increasing your chance of getting a lucky hit.  Of course, you'd need some rule like "you cannot have negative speed", or else I'll someone will just go for max STR and get all the heaviest armor, granting them 1d40 rolls, 20 DR, and -80 SPD.

FOURTH:
How does range work?  If both people attack every turn, that means nobody's sacrificing an attack to close/retreat and get a better bonus.  If both people get to change range once per turn, it'd just cancel out unless they have a competing roll.  If said roll uses the attack numbers, it inherently favors status quo because one person probably has a shorter range than the other, so it'd probably be best to base it on SPD.  An alternative would be to just lower range by one each turn, which could be interesting.

Also, does range work like the previous combat test, where a range 1 weapon never gets a bonus and a range 4 weapon never gets a penalty?  I think the flaw there is obvious.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 88