Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 88

Author Topic: ORO: ANOTHER QUESTION  (Read 114774 times)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: ORO discussion
« Reply #315 on: April 03, 2016, 06:13:14 pm »

I really liked how you did maps in perplexicon. A number of points of interest and routes connecting them. Players follow the rails most of the time, but can go off the rails if they want (for example, go inside a generic house to hide or make a temporary camp) but they are unlikely to find anything interesting there.

With more focused gameplay, you could speed this up even more. For example, you could give a description of the point of things like the interior of the houses and other such useless background locations the moment the players arrive. Or you could have actions like "search every single house" resolve in a single turn, since I assume that when the players are not in imminent danger, time might flow a bit faster.

You could also just make getting off the rails be extremely dangerous, but that has a chance of backfiring with people being even more slow and methodical.

Oh! What about newspapers? Would there be discarded newspapers getting picked up by the wind and flying around the city? Would there be something interesting to read in those demonic tabloids?

Maybe an area where the newspapers are created. Or a media-related area in general. With TV or radio stations staffed by their unholy equivalents.

Could work as a late game quest, when Oro has approached the Holy city enough for its unholy influence to have started affecting it. "With oro getting so close to the holy city, we are now in range of their unholy broadcast towers. The constant stream of the abominable images and sounds is starting to interfere with our broadcasts and create unrest in the general population. Some have even started waking around like zombies, slowly moving towards the towers like moths to a flame. I know you've been trying hard to slay Oro, but until you do so, could you please consider taking care of those towers? With them gone, you could boost the morale of our citizens and we could once again continue our resupply and communication operations unimpeded, so that we can aid you in your fought. And if you could capture them and set up a forward base there... Well, you'd make our lives a lot easier."

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #316 on: April 03, 2016, 08:25:45 pm »

Alright, lets talk a moment about the nature of ORO.

I am a bitterly logical individual, and I'm currently embroiled in medical training. This is coloring my outlook, so I want to explain some things and then see what the consensus is.

There are two ways I see to make ORO.

The first is the one I'm currently doing and it's the "World turtle" design. Ie, the captured lands reside mostly on ORO's back, a vast mound of structures, towns, landmarks and natural formations piled onto and assimilated into the demonic machine that is ORO. The body of oro is mechanical, demonic and impossibly large, but it has a defined set up. It has a circulatory system in the form of a branching and complex train network. It has a mouth that eats cities, stomachs to digest them, immune system to protect itself, respiratory system to pump air to furnaces and such. And the demons within are either working for it or living inside of it as an environment. Or are symbiotic. In the case of this set up, you'd be spending your time mostly dealing with the captured lands and, once you reach a good spot or get something you need, you would mount an assault in and try to cripple an organ. You would do this until the entire beast is terminal and the heart shows itself.

The second would be one that is a lot more...well a lot less organized. I would relax that logical part of my mind that yells "Well, how does it walk?" and just say "it walks because its fucking demon magic, fuck you. Insert its magic I don't have to explain shit image here. In this case Oro would not be a bunch of lands riding a demonic engine. It would be an impossible amalgam of cities, villages, landmarks and natural features that is oozing across the world like a hellish katamari.

In the first case, the player experience would be one of being a tiny insignificant being atop a giant creature, shadow of the colossus but where the colossus is 25 miles in diameter and occasionally stops to eat cities before it continues to trudge onward. You would be acting as a cancer or a virus, infecting, taking over, striking at the organs and trying to bring it down.

In the second case it would be like walking into a neon urban nightmare, dreamlike, hellish, filled with impossible space and Penrose stairs. Trains exist but might go nowhere, or might not go to the same stations each time. An elevator you find in an open field might lead to an inverted cathedral where you walk among upside down gargoyles on the roof and try not to fall into the sky. The heart here would be buried deep in layers of contradiction and paradox, and would be reached by the forcible stabilizing element of our civilizations, which would act as islands of sense in an otherwise eldritch and inscrutable world.

Which of these sounds more interesting?

I should point out also that the first one will take longer to do because I have to get all the parts together, and it will necessarily be somewhat more restricted in what I make.  The second one is much easier because I can just let my imagination run wild and create whatever bizarre, hellish, urban hatescapes I can think up at 3am while staring at the street lights. But it might feel more like a massive maze or dungeon compared to crawling through the guts of a mechanical elder god.

It's a hard choice.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 08:31:10 pm by piecewise »

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: April 03, 2016, 08:28:47 pm »

I quite like the second one honestly it sounds hilarious yet absolutely horrifying.
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: April 03, 2016, 08:35:54 pm »

SECOND ONE.

MOAR ELDRITCH FUCKERY.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: April 03, 2016, 08:39:13 pm »

They both sound awesome tbh, but I think I'm gonna have to agree with the above and hop on the #2 bandwagon.

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: April 03, 2016, 08:56:32 pm »

I'm leaning towards the first one. It feels more...I dunno. I feel like I can make more sense of it.
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: April 03, 2016, 08:57:34 pm »

You...want things...to make sense.

[stamps]
[DEFECTIVE]

;P

Yeah, I was half-tempted to go for option one, too, but seriously, what's not to like about more eldritch fuckery?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Moopli

• Bay Watcher
  • Free Spines Here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: April 03, 2016, 09:00:35 pm »

I am all for the second. You can have elements of the first with sub-regions that make some biological sense, but I'd prefer the overall system to be formless. Maybe it's trying to impose structure, arrange itself into a holistically-functioning organism (in the sense that all the various parts are put to use towards a main purpose), but even oro itself cannot tame the demonic magic that produces it.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: April 03, 2016, 09:09:14 pm »

The second one seems to fit the theme a lot better, I think. The formless in some semblance of form, a nightmarish conglomeration of nonsense and fuckery. Adult Wonderland.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: April 03, 2016, 09:11:40 pm »

first one

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: April 03, 2016, 09:18:11 pm »

The latter is more along the lines of what I expected coming in, but I could go for either.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: April 03, 2016, 09:22:02 pm »

I honestly like the idea of the world turtle more, it just seems really...
I dunno, I just really love the idea of option one.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #327 on: April 03, 2016, 11:44:53 pm »

So far it's overwhelmingly for option 2.

We'll see if the coming days bring any different opinions.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: April 03, 2016, 11:52:32 pm »

I would go for option 1.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: April 04, 2016, 12:03:20 am »

I like the concept of option 1 but 2 just seems more appropriate to what I envision Oro to be. Plus I think it fits with the civilization and holiness compared to the demonic disorder.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 88