Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 88

Author Topic: ORO: ANOTHER QUESTION  (Read 114755 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: ORO discussion
« Reply #300 on: April 03, 2016, 09:37:50 am »

I've been, between thinking about demonic digestion and systems of injury, thinking about how to handle maps. Not how to make  them but the confines of them, so to speak. In ER there's no real boundaries because you can always jetpack over a building or something similar.  But considering this game is more focused, I'm wondering if I should go less sandbox and more dungeon map.  Ie the difference between a MUD style/ soulsian style map like we had in perplexicon's adventure stage, or if it should just be open as usual.

The first means I can craft a denser experience because I know where you're gonna go (or at least where you CAN go) and what places are explorable, so I can focus on enemy placements and items and traps and all that jazz.

Where as the second allows more freedom in terms of how you do what you do, but it also makes the maps exponentially larger and means I won't have time to sit around and decide the contents and design of every single building on this thing.

It's a conundrum.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: April 03, 2016, 09:50:59 am »

I'd consider the tighter design. Should help prevent the aimlessness we sometimes see when there's no clear goal/path, and if there's enough possible paths to take it doesn't railroad the thing completely. Seems to mesh better with the more limited scope and more granular system of the game as well, compared to ER.

(People might still find ways to get to where they shouldn't though.)

On the other hand, sandbox does mean more room for endless tacticool blabbing. I do love me some tacticool blabbing.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 10:10:16 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 03, 2016, 10:14:51 am »

The limited first option, imo.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: April 03, 2016, 10:20:46 am »

tacticool babbling, or just a somewhat limited map.
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: April 03, 2016, 10:27:09 am »

First option makes more sense.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 03, 2016, 11:55:52 am »

first option requires a limiting mechanism. video games are annoying when they have invisible walls keeping the game limited, so make the limiting factors plausible at least.

Frankly, I'd rather a more sandbox style, but I think for gameplay hte limited is better.

Another approach is to design the limited map, then expand it to an actual city, such that htere are numerous buildings which carry the same set of things, and vast stretches that have nothing to do with the objective. just because there is a residential area doesn't mean we have to wander off down it. keep the team focused by using that 'limited bases" idea, and if they go off rails, they cna wander aimlessly in housing complexes or office buildings of pointlessness until they die and the game ends with the destruction of the so called holy city, as is right and proper.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: April 03, 2016, 01:00:26 pm »

As I see it, this is essentially a choice between walking through two detailed areas or running around a dozen generic ones.

I'd go with the first, if only for the sense that the scenery is more involved and interesting. Maybe make a few secret rooms or something to give people who slip their leash some measure of satisfaction, but present them with a brick wall (metaphorical or literal, take your pick) if they try to go any farther.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: April 03, 2016, 01:20:23 pm »

Say you divide Oro into chunks, with only a few ways of passing from one to another for each? That means it can all be minature dungeons, which you handcraft when needed.

Which is basically dark souls. DS2 at least, with a fair bit like 3, maybe a bit more limited than 1.

Guys, remember massive open expanses can be shoved into dungeons for tacticool stuff.

One wheel short of a wagon

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #308 on: April 03, 2016, 03:02:53 pm »

The major thing I want to avoid is me creating a street with buildings on either side, and having the game stop for a month and a half while people search every building and every room.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: April 03, 2016, 04:02:28 pm »

"after searching two buildings, demonic spiders start pouring from every crack and crevice. Y'all might want to get moving before you drown in demon spiders!"

Pancaek's Acme solutions.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: April 03, 2016, 04:28:12 pm »

"after searching two buildings, demonic spiders start pouring from every crack and crevice. Y'all might want to get moving before you drown in demon spiders!"

Pancaek's Acme solutions.
"Fight the spiders while I check that cupboard over there"

We will succumb to lootlust in scenario 2, no question.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: April 03, 2016, 04:35:40 pm »

"THE SPIDERS ARE COMING!"
"!#!LOOTING INTENSIFYS!#!
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #312 on: April 03, 2016, 05:31:36 pm »

I've found that the worse the opposition, the greater the looting. Because obviously, strong or numerous enemies means more loot!

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: April 03, 2016, 05:38:10 pm »

I've found that the worse the opposition, the greater the looting. Because obviously, strong or numerous enemies means more loot!
Maybe you could flood the entire block with loot, instead of spiders. Saturate the need for loot so that the players lose interest.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: April 03, 2016, 05:44:00 pm »

Why not use natural disasters? Oro itself is a living city, so I don't see why it couldn't knock over a water tower or collapse ceilings as some sort of defense mechanism. It would cause it some harm, I guess, but that's a not as big an issue as the adventurers trying to kill it.

Also, landslides don't stink of loot. Not perfect justification in-world, but sometimes you just have to be practical.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 88