Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 88

Author Topic: ORO: ANOTHER QUESTION  (Read 114645 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: ORO discussion
« Reply #210 on: March 19, 2016, 04:46:39 pm »

So... some experimentation wil be involved in finding out what actually works on ORO? Because most weapons don't?

Will this mean that homecrafted stuff is a little complex or limited? Because most people don't carry 47 blind virgins able to sing the Lord's Prayer backwards in their toolkit. So how's that going to work?
Nah, we have seers for that.  But it does mean that if you want that new sword, you're gonna have to bring us something specific. Probably something from inside ORO.  And that for weapons at least, they need to be made by someone other than yourself.

Are we able to play as someone who isn't a follower of the church?
Sure, you can play as a dead man.

I mean, you can go in with zero faith if you want, but I don't think your teammates will want to stand too close.

Darn, making a tank with those kind of manufacturing methods doesn't seem very practical. Unless we get a shitload of money and metal.
On the contrary, it sounds like a good investment. Imagine how complex making thirty consecrated katana-chainmail-longbow sets would be! A tank on the other hand only needs one set of rites for the casing, barrel, etc, and would let one bring all the holy city enchantments together in one place.

So you don't get the one guy with the superfast boots, one with the ultrastrong bow, one with the massive glowing sword, one with the energy-conversion armour, etc, due to player funds limits, but instead get all of these. So a high speed tank with an extremely powerful frontal bow, a massive red hot ramming spike and armour that gets stronger the more you hit it.
Eh, the problem is getting it INTO Oro.  From the outside it won't do any good. Even on the inside you'll need to be smart. Raw destructive power isn't whats needed. You need to be like a virus, you need to establish a foothold and grow. You go in there swinging hard and you'll be swarmed and killed in a few minutes. And then your tank will be torn apart, the armor used to patch the holes you blew and the cannon incorporated into the walls to shoot at you.

These early raids on oro are gonna be hot drops, every one.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 19, 2016, 05:21:44 pm »

I think I'll like this; it's been a while since I played a zealot. Sure Lars is nice, but ... well, he's nice. And the one frothing-at-the-mouth raving lunatic we had tried to krump Renen.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 19, 2016, 08:52:32 pm »

Eh. "Church of Human Purity" kills it for me. that makes it feel like there is a bit of a forced attitude about life for the player characters - one subscribes to the "those things are bad because they are different" worldview, and must push a species ideal, rather than fight for something greater. I, as a monotheist IRL, could get behind even a polytheist religion in-game, or into a game such as ER where the multiverse is a mess with no clear religious overtone, but this feels like a forced faith -which makes the city of holiness a brittle, self decaying thing itself, and one almost not worth defending.

The eighties tech level I could live with, but this just feels fundamentally wrong to me. Not, mind you, because of my monotheism. rather, it feels self contradictory and just begging for plot holes.

I hope you don't take this knee jerk reaction too harshly, but the church as described raises more questions for me than answers, and any character I play who isn't a straightforward grunt that I don't give a shit about would probably fall to the dark side pretty early on.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #213 on: March 19, 2016, 09:31:46 pm »

Eh. "Church of Human Purity" kills it for me. that makes it feel like there is a bit of a forced attitude about life for the player characters - one subscribes to the "those things are bad because they are different" worldview, and must push a species ideal, rather than fight for something greater. I, as a monotheist IRL, could get behind even a polytheist religion in-game, or into a game such as ER where the multiverse is a mess with no clear religious overtone, but this feels like a forced faith -which makes the city of holiness a brittle, self decaying thing itself, and one almost not worth defending.

The eighties tech level I could live with, but this just feels fundamentally wrong to me. Not, mind you, because of my monotheism. rather, it feels self contradictory and just begging for plot holes.

I hope you don't take this knee jerk reaction too harshly, but the church as described raises more questions for me than answers, and any character I play who isn't a straightforward grunt that I don't give a shit about would probably fall to the dark side pretty early on.
I never said their faith was RIGHT, did I?

Something I don't think people get is that I'm showing you things from the perspective of one civilization. Their faith is their own, and its one of many. And their city wasn't the first targeted and it won't be the last. Their faith is their own, not one I'm prescribing to the universe. And considering how actively alien, frightening and hostile the world around them is, I think it's quite understandable that they'd choose to believe in humanity.

I mean, I don't know which god you follow, but could you really tell yourself he was loving and rewarding and something worth your faith if all the world seemed your enemy?  Even early Christians believed in a jealous, angry god that punished them for minor slights. And they didn't have nightmare beasts roaming just outside the walls. Also, I'll play the jerk card here and say that there is no religion that isn't full of holes unless it is extremely metaphysical and hands off.  I mean, like this:

"Why did god give adam and eve free will if he punished them for using it?"

People can argue that for hundreds of years.  And the thing is that there's no answer that will satisfy everyone.

If people want a pantheon or something different because the "Go humanity!" faith is too 40k for their liking, I can give you one. I can even make it so that the gods are all different enough so that people can do what they like.

But I stress this: There is going to be one religion, and there are no atheists here. Others exist elsewhere in the world but this isn't about them.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 19, 2016, 09:57:04 pm »

Well, I'd like if there was some venerated figures or something. Someone or something to represent the ideal of humanity, and the faith as a whole other than "oro bad". Basically, give me an Emperor of Mankind to believe in. Not necessarily a single figure, could be a series of saints, or an oppressed but worshipped underclass of martyrs, or an ancient and wise AI from The Old Days, or some vague spirit.

And their city wasn't the first targeted and it won't be the last.
"Won't be the last" is a bit fatalistic, isn't it? :P

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #215 on: March 19, 2016, 10:12:49 pm »

In unrelated news, I'm designing the digestive system of Oro. It's quite a thing when you get into it, taking a bite out of a city block and processing that down into useful things. Quite different from human digestion too.

Human digestion involves a lot less centipede demons.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 19, 2016, 10:25:05 pm »

So is Oro basically crawling through the guts of an eldritch space horror?
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 19, 2016, 10:30:59 pm »

Human digestion involves a lot less centipede demons.

So... kind of like gut bacteria?

Now I'm wondering whether ORO is lactose intolerant.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 19, 2016, 10:35:44 pm »

Hmm, a type of nutrient that the city can not make use of, but it's ecosystem can?

Like... humans?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #219 on: March 19, 2016, 10:40:44 pm »

Hmm, a type of nutrient that the city can not make use of, but it's ecosystem can?

Like... humans?
Nah, it renders those down quite well actually. The stuff it kicks back tends to be soil and sand and similar things.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 19, 2016, 10:45:04 pm »

Do certain humans taste bad?
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #221 on: March 19, 2016, 10:50:47 pm »

Do certain humans taste bad?
Taste isn't really something it understands.

So is Oro basically crawling through the guts of an eldritch space horror?
Something like that.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 19, 2016, 10:54:37 pm »

You know now I want to help it figure out how taste works.How can I violently  betray everyone teach it taste and distastefully fall in love with it inevitably being corrupted?
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 19, 2016, 11:27:30 pm »

Like... humans?
Nah, it renders those down quite well actually. The stuff it kicks back tends to be soil and sand and similar things.
Sooo, we kill it by dropping a sand dune on it?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #224 on: March 19, 2016, 11:45:11 pm »

Like... humans?
Sooo, we kill it by dropping a sand dune on it?
Drop a mountain!
No, wait, drop the moon! Do it on an evening that the moon is magical, so that it also counts as a magic weapon.
"We choose to go to the moon and do the other things, not because it is easy, but because we want to drop it on the city of demons."
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 88