Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 88

Author Topic: ORO: ANOTHER QUESTION  (Read 114552 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: ORO discussion
« Reply #105 on: March 13, 2016, 11:33:32 am »

Piecewise piecewise, can I help with the mapping?

I *really* like spreadsheets and charts. And I want to get that kind of GMing experience in making more maps.

I bet I could make you a chart map of a city that does not strictly follow euclidean geometry. I'm the man for the job, notice me Piecewise Senpai.

Edit: Did a test run of ERRANT's new hitpoint system. I do prefer whittling down hitpoints to chunky salsa. It kind of gives players a fighting chance, rather than wiping them out right off the boat.

Hmmm. A mapper would be good...but also...SECRITS
How about you let Aigre map, give me the secrets, and then we're all happy!  :P

You could just ask him to set up the general map with the things people can know, then make a copy for yourself that you expand and add secrity secrets of mystery to. A 'master copy' so to speak.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 13, 2016, 11:57:53 am »

A secretary... hmm.
Never ever cease communication with your enemies, never ever cease interaction with them, never isolate yourself from them. Never ignore them, relish the time to deal with them, to exercise banter. The biggest mistake one can make is ignoring one's enemies. Go out of your way to pick a fight today.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #107 on: March 13, 2016, 12:53:23 pm »

A secretary you can't have an affair with?

What a novel concept.

Moopli

• Bay Watcher
  • Free Spines Here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 13, 2016, 01:25:45 pm »

A secretary you can't have an affair with?

What a novel concept.

Oh, but you can ;D

Anyway, if you also want to include doorways that take you to a different place when you return through them, you can take the style of map that you posted, and use arrows instead of lines - so if a room has an arrow going into one side and an arrow going somewhere else put of the same side (or out of the same point, if you want to have multiple doors on one side of a room) then the player could enter the room, turn around, and end up in a different place.

Another suggestion is to use an image editor with layer support, not just for making nicer flat maps, but for actually denoting multiple layers of data independently - for example, simply in terms of connections, you might have the tangly, long-distance connections on a separate layer to keep the base connections from being cluttered.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 01:31:47 pm by Moopli »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #109 on: March 14, 2016, 07:07:13 pm »

Mapping is a little bit in the future. Right now I'm setting up how Oro started and where it went. Obviously something thats made of lots of places it ate has  to leave a big trail of destruction in its wake and its got to have a long of weird mish-mash history and stuff inside it. Once I set up the core, I'll create the world around it and then start it walking. It will eat as it goes and I'll try to keep everything interacting and working in the ways that make the most sense. Oro isn't a new thing in the world, it will have been trundling around eating cities for roughly 400 years once we get to it. Imagine if godzilla was wandering around since the 1600s randomly destroying cities. Things would be very different in terms of how we viewed the world. You can bet that some people would be worshiping it and that others would be trying to kill it and many others would just try to get out of the way.

This core is interesting though. I'm almost regretting the fact that it's gonna be so deep in because getting into it and seeing whats there will be neat.

You'll also probably be very angry with me because I think it will kill off a lot of people.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 14, 2016, 07:11:40 pm »

As long as I use everyone else as meatshields I'll be fine.
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 14, 2016, 07:16:34 pm »

How upset would you be if we just killed by afflicting it with rampant gentrification (cancer) or through turning it into a police state (autoimmune disorder) without ever seeing the core? :3
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 14, 2016, 08:22:28 pm »

history: A city that is a conglomerate of sin could arise form a lot of things, evolvng naturally into it's current point. Observe: wealth, trade, and power coalesce int oa great, thriving metropolis. wealth requires protection, trade requires control, power breeds pride. Side effects of success include corruption, self gratification, and conflict. People invest energy into these things, and into forms and beings (security forces, backroom deals, etc) until they lose sight of what they were originally protecting or pursuing, and control, sin, and corruption become the goal in their own right. eventually, the city, thrumming with dark power, tearing at itself and at the world around it, drains what good it has left, consuming it in a thirst for ever more ... more of whatever it desires. Thus, the beings in the city, and the city itself, look outward for more: more resources to absorb, more power to control, more good to corrupt, and it moves, leaving lifeless emptiness in it's wake in it's unending, passionate thirst.

two the city itself: well, people could have sold themselves into dark alliances, called forth demons, created alternate lifeforms, or broken reality itself a bit, becoming avatars of darkness. There are all kinds of ways to fill a city with evil. and the evil could be in objects, designs, buildings, the air itself, connections with other things, and of course, the process of consumption of good.

the system could revolve around recognizing the type of sin represented by a give n threat and seeking to counter it through resource denial, penance, replacng a wicked thing with a good thing, or outright destruction. I think, if the city is consumptive of good, though, that some form of protection would be absolutely necessary for the good things, lest you do nothing but fuel the wickedness

player town: well, this could be the source of protection for the good. Faith, prayers, and acts of goodness could be part of the process here, as well as restoring broken things, purifying corrupt things, and destroying wicked things -items and beings brought to the player town by the adventurers. thus, a mote of good could grow within the city of wickedness. of course, this would be an antigen to the city's infection, causing the city to react against the town. So we'd need a robust understanding of the holy City, and the connection fo the Holy City to the player characters and the town, in order to form a proper resistance to that. that's probably where my main interest in this kind of system wold lie.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 15, 2016, 02:47:59 am »

Firstly, this is starting to sound a bit like the Mortal Engines series, which is alright, but I hope just a coincidence.

Secondly and more importantly, if Oroboropolis is self-constructing, how on earth is the holy city stopping it? Really big walls? Or are we killing just enough inhabitants to delay construction? How, in fact, does Oro grow/move?

Anyway, remember to make it eat a fishing village or two if you get the chance, and have a couple of canals and internal docks or something. That would be fun.
One wheel short of a wagon

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 15, 2016, 03:19:53 am »

Infernal docks sounds really fun. +1.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 15, 2016, 08:10:38 am »

You'll also probably be very angry with me because I think it will kill off a lot of people.

You might wanna put up a big sign in the OP saying "DEATH IS CHEAP, YOU WILL DIE. A LOT. PLAN ACCORDINGLY."

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 15, 2016, 08:13:04 am »

Never I must put untold hours into every character then have it all be destroyed when they die horribly!
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 15, 2016, 08:35:14 am »

Please don't be tempted to nerf it to save player characters. I'm still waiting for a single casualty from Infinite heavens since I joined the waitlist. I'd say, if the gmae starts, after six months or more, ot bog down to the point where no new progress is being made at all, then maybe possibly reconsider a little, but maybe not. I mean, if hte game becomes unwinnable, either we lose, or things must adjust. But of charcters die, well, make the character generator user friendly and brief. Nothing turns me off of roguelikes like investing time and effort into a customizable charcter, only to have literally everything lost when it dies and have to start from zero again.

Of course, if you are feeling generous, you could make a system, where, after a certain number of a given player's characters die, the next ones get bonuses - I think that has already been suggested though.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 15, 2016, 08:52:43 am »

I'm still waiting for a single casualty from Infinite heavens since I joined the waitlist.
You might just have gotten lucky there. I didn't get to play for all that long and me and another guy died in the same confrontation. It wasn't groovy at all.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 15, 2016, 09:20:43 am »

I'm still waiting for a single casualty from Infinite heavens since I joined the waitlist.
You might just have gotten lucky there. I didn't get to play for all that long and me and another guy died in the same confrontation. It wasn't groovy at all.
I do see that the death count is up there a bit. Both battles wit hteh bone thieves were high casualty, and I guess that fight with the mad god? which I haven't read yet.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 88