Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 88

Author Topic: ORO: ANOTHER QUESTION  (Read 114547 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
Re: ORO discussion
« Reply #90 on: March 12, 2016, 06:25:26 pm »

Hmm. coincidentally, I'll be using a similar system to what Moopli posted for Ocean test. Minus the arrows.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 12, 2016, 06:25:44 pm »

If you want to describe a small group of spaces connected non-euclideanly to each other, you can do something like this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Black arrow is where the poor souls enter, and every colored arrow is a direct connection (could be an airlock, a door, simply empty space connecting two zones of a cavern, etc), where you match color and direction. Yes, if you also match direction, you can even flip someone's chirality (and have fun telling them left and right reversed until the end of time; and enjoy making them get diarrhea from eating sugar, and so on). There's a portal in the example above which does this.

It can certainly be a bit confusing to create, but it's much better than the predicament the players would be in, eh :D?

Or you could just describe places and roads and such and count on the players to make their own maps to conveniently outsource the issue.

The problem here is that as GM you often want to know what the world is actually like, and that requires making a canonical map so you can decide non-arbitrarily whether someone's getting lost.
that's what I was thinking of
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 12, 2016, 06:31:57 pm »

You could just do it like the daedric shrines/dungeons in morrowind, where the layout is actually physically impossible if you take a good look at the complete maps.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 07:30:25 pm by Pancaek »

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 12, 2016, 07:22:14 pm »

You could just do it like the daedric shrines/dungeons in morrowind, where the layour is actually physically impossible if you take a good look at the complete maps.
That is actually really cool.

Also I really like the idea of forcing people to make their own maps and notes, which may be horrifically wrong.
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #94 on: March 12, 2016, 07:58:52 pm »

"Infant Gestalt"

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 12, 2016, 08:02:42 pm »

Kill it before it grows any more?

Also I see your MUD background is showing again, PW.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 12, 2016, 08:09:28 pm »

I like chunky salsa in terms of my burrito fillings/corn chip dips.
What the fuck are you doing to your burritos
Truthfully, I prefer smooth salsa/hot sauce in my burritos. I was twisting the truth for the sake of a joke, which is the most acceptable time to twist the truth. Chunky salsa goes better in tacos, really. And before you ask, I prefer soft tacos, they're much nicer in my opinion.

Thanks for making me hungry and sad... well, moreso than I already was, given that it is Free Taco Day today but I am in the wrong state. :'(
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #97 on: March 12, 2016, 08:13:28 pm »

I like chunky salsa in terms of my burrito fillings/corn chip dips.
What the fuck are you doing to your burritos
Truthfully, I prefer smooth salsa/hot sauce in my burritos. I was twisting the truth for the sake of a joke, which is the most acceptable time to twist the truth. Chunky salsa goes better in tacos, really. And before you ask, I prefer soft tacos, they're much nicer in my opinion.

Thanks for making me hungry and sad... well, moreso than I already was, given that it is Free Taco Day today but I am in the wrong state. :'(
Truly you are in the state of denial.

Ha.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 12, 2016, 09:10:40 pm »

well I mean it's always free taco day when you have a gun!
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 12, 2016, 09:12:19 pm »

It costs money to get bullets, spaz.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 12, 2016, 09:15:12 pm »

It costs money to get bullets, spaz.

Who says you need bullets?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 12, 2016, 09:19:58 pm »

If you are, remind me not give you anything when you mug me. :P

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 13, 2016, 07:57:07 am »

Piecewise piecewise, can I help with the mapping?

I *really* like spreadsheets and charts. And I want to get that kind of GMing experience in making more maps.

I bet I could make you a chart map of a city that does not strictly follow euclidean geometry. I'm the man for the job, notice me Piecewise Senpai.

Edit: Did a test run of ERRANT's new hitpoint system. I do prefer whittling down hitpoints to chunky salsa. It kind of gives players a fighting chance, rather than wiping them out right off the boat.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 10:09:58 am by Aigre Excalibur »
Never ever cease communication with your enemies, never ever cease interaction with them, never isolate yourself from them. Never ignore them, relish the time to deal with them, to exercise banter. The biggest mistake one can make is ignoring one's enemies. Go out of your way to pick a fight today.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #103 on: March 13, 2016, 11:24:18 am »

I *really* like spreadsheets and charts. And I want to get that kind of GMing experience in making more maps.

I bet I could make you a chart map of a city that does not strictly follow euclidean geometry. I'm the man for the job, notice me Piecewise Senpai.

Edit: Did a test run of ERRANT's new hitpoint system. I do prefer whittling down hitpoints to chunky salsa. It kind of gives players a fighting chance, rather than wiping them out right off the boat.

Hmmm. A mapper would be good...but also...SECRITS

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 13, 2016, 11:31:15 am »

Hmmm. A mapper would be good...but also...SECRITS

I can disqualify myself from playing if you let me be a monster as well. NPC control could be a fun job for an apprentice GM.

Edit: I could also be an entire NPC faction...
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 11:32:56 am by Aigre Excalibur »
Never ever cease communication with your enemies, never ever cease interaction with them, never isolate yourself from them. Never ignore them, relish the time to deal with them, to exercise banter. The biggest mistake one can make is ignoring one's enemies. Go out of your way to pick a fight today.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 88