Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 88

Author Topic: ORO: ANOTHER QUESTION  (Read 115118 times)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: ORO discussion
« Reply #780 on: October 01, 2016, 01:23:43 pm »

Writhe of Flesh
Flesh Inhabitance: 3
Intelligence Consumption: 10
Humanity Cost: 50
Range: Sight

Writhe of Flesh requires no touch! it's int based, and line of sight. Still not enough for a hit - of course. this is why I had intended to swap out writhe for pneumatic strength. curse my distraction.

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: October 01, 2016, 01:33:55 pm »

Spoiler: blue (click to show/hide)
activate my chainsaw again, and then chainsaw spiky spiky stab man.
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: October 01, 2016, 01:54:26 pm »

Blue Team

Have the swarm go after Gentle. Dodge and stay alive.

Spoiler: Stats/Spells/Limbs (click to show/hide)

((Meh. No more spoilers, I'll make it easier on ya PW))
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 09:13:46 pm by renegadelobster »
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #783 on: October 01, 2016, 03:17:16 pm »

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: October 01, 2016, 03:38:32 pm »

Team This Color

clobber jag wiht cyber arm.

Spoiler: Stats etc (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 05:51:49 pm by Ozarck »

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: October 01, 2016, 04:30:54 pm »

Wait, PW shouldn't gentle be next to me? Since he took a swing at me with his piston arm?
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #786 on: October 01, 2016, 04:46:00 pm »

Wait, PW shouldn't gentle be next to me? Since he took a swing at me with his piston arm?
Oh yeah, thats right. He has the chain saw not Ren.  Then I suppose Red is all still where they started.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: October 01, 2016, 05:50:48 pm »

PW, why don't you roll for initiative, with spd as the base? Since every other stat based effect involves a roll, except humanity.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: October 02, 2016, 09:18:47 am »

((Pretty sure I have more than a +34 bonus to more or less everything. Actually, shouldn't it use int, which is a lot higher? Assuming there isn't some quirk of the head that I missed, anyway.))

Wait for Gentle to die. If he does, run over so that I have a better shot at Sy's chest, then tricloptic-head it. If he doesn't, blast Gentle's instead.

Spoiler: Blue (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 10:48:39 am by Whisperling »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #789 on: October 02, 2016, 10:39:58 am »

PW, why don't you roll for initiative, with spd as the base? Since every other stat based effect involves a roll, except humanity.
I suppose I can, though thats 6 more rolls each turn.

((Pretty sure I have more than a +34 bonus to more or less everything. Actually, shouldn't it use int, which is a lot higher? Assuming there isn't some quirk of the head that I missed, anyway.))

Wait for Gentle to die. If he does, run over so that I have a slightly better shot at Sy's chest, then tricloptic-head it. If he doesn't, blast Gentle's instead.

Spoiler: Blue (click to show/hide)
You're right. And at 85 int it passed the requirement to hit, assuming you're not aiming at a specific part. Lets roll sy's dodge.  76+[94]

So he still manages to avoid the hit. So far my screw ups are at least not having to be retconned.

Waiting on gentle.  Remember, if you want to  use the bonus from a limb, you have to say you're using it, unless you're inherently using that limb to attack. Like punching a guy, you'd use the bonus of the punching arm automatically.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: October 02, 2016, 01:09:30 pm »

I know it's still very early, but ...

The system feels unwieldly to me. Seems like we are doing a lot of 'stat chasing', tryingto figure out what does what, what each action affects, how damage changes several factors.

And a lot of our abilities are "fire and wait" types, which is why I intended originally to keep my humanity as high as possible. And it feels like ren, starting with stats an average of 13 points above the rest, has a pretty good advantage, making him the defacto 'thing to beat'.

Of course, my own mistakes in character building lend to my frustration, but I at least know how i would make two completely different characters out of the same stat set.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #791 on: October 02, 2016, 04:18:25 pm »

I know it's still very early, but ...

The system feels unwieldly to me. Seems like we are doing a lot of 'stat chasing', tryingto figure out what does what, what each action affects, how damage changes several factors.

And a lot of our abilities are "fire and wait" types, which is why I intended originally to keep my humanity as high as possible. And it feels like ren, starting with stats an average of 13 points above the rest, has a pretty good advantage, making him the defacto 'thing to beat'.

Of course, my own mistakes in character building lend to my frustration, but I at least know how i would make two completely different characters out of the same stat set.
I feel like a lot of the "stat chasing" is a result of us being unsure of the system.

However, if it feels unweildy after this first incarnation, what I'll do is scale back the construction as aspect so that we have more defined and permanent body forms, because that will eliminate a lot of mechanical things that exist just to reign in uncontrollable expansion.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #792 on: October 02, 2016, 04:59:03 pm »

Since we're still waiting on our good friend gentle, I'll tell ya what I have in mind for scale down, should it come to pass.

Basically, it would involve having the body plans locked to certain forms. It would be a lot more like that game "Rengoku", where you are stuck in a humanoid form (for the most part) but your individual bits are all interchangable. There would be some unique ones, like the naga tails, but for the most part they'd fall in the human body plan. That would basically get rid of a lot of the more complex parts of body building, allow for simplified humanity rules (since it doesn't have to act as a part restrainer) and make balancing easier.

The downside of course being that you'd be stuck in fairly standard body forms and unable to become horrible centipedes made of chainsaws.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: October 02, 2016, 10:31:32 pm »

I, personally, would prefer to play an unwieldy game that allows for creativity, rather than a smooth game which stifles it.  I imagine a lot of people here would agree with me, what with said game being hosted on the Dwarf Fortress forums.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: October 02, 2016, 10:40:37 pm »

You mean it's hosted on the Bay 12 forums. Toady has made more than just one game, and some of them are simple and elegant. :P
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 88