Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 88

Author Topic: ORO: ANOTHER QUESTION  (Read 114545 times)

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
Re: ORO discussion
« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2016, 11:53:09 am »

I like chunky salsa in terms of my burrito fillings/corn chip dips.
What the fuck are you doing to your burritos

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2016, 11:55:54 am »

I've been rather obsessively reading about certain things recently. Certain practices. I'm realizing that it's quite hard to talk about what I'm doing when I want to keep it secret too. I've got a couple pages of history and a diagram of a site written down so far. A lot of my time is spent just reading about things related to this. Gonna work on it more today. Try to get to the next stage, get this core done and work on the reasons for movement.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2016, 12:20:20 pm »

I still need to figure out how to do mapping...I was thinking something like this:

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 12, 2016, 12:47:06 pm »

Nice and sprawling, but would it being too structured be a problem?
One wheel short of a wagon

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 12, 2016, 12:57:42 pm »

I still need to figure out how to do mapping...I was thinking something like this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'd propose an alternative:

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #80 on: March 12, 2016, 01:17:25 pm »

Nice and sprawling, but would it being too structured be a problem?
Not sure what you mean?

I'd propose an alternative:
I prefer  "Shit be fucked, yo" instead.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 12, 2016, 01:48:14 pm »

Makes it a bit hard to show, say, paths that go over and under each other, long diagonal paths between rows of locations, paths that go in one place and come  (underpasses, tunnels, etc), non - Euclidean stuff, really cramped ares, massively overlapping areas, etc.

But there's no perfect system, obviously.
One wheel short of a wagon

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 12, 2016, 01:51:13 pm »

PTW
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 12, 2016, 01:58:24 pm »

why not do a layer map system with a symbol representing something that leads up or down and a number that matches between each  pair of up/down paths to help prevent confusion
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 12, 2016, 02:09:22 pm »

why not do a layer map system with a symbol representing something that leads up or down and a number that matches between each  pair of up/down paths to help prevent confusion
That get's confusing too if people have to compare multiple images in order to know where they are and where they should go.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #85 on: March 12, 2016, 02:15:35 pm »

Hmmm... Many people use graphs to organize data, make it easier to process. And some of those graph-creation programs offer ways to automatically organize nodes to make them look better and/or fit as many of them in the screen as possible while making them easy to understand (with varying degrees of success). I wonder if there's a program where you can define a bunch of nodes and the groups they belong to and have the program try to organize them in an easy to view form, divide them into different groups and areas. Maybe something that can be exported into a series of web pages that form a map. So you can select City A, read a bit about it, then select west district, then a plaza, then an important building there, then a floor and then a particular room, to give an extreme example. Something that will do something like the preplexicon map I had made, but do it in a semi-automated way based on the into inputted by the GM. And the GM can have a public map and unhide sections as the players explore them. Maybe have some shortcuts to important nodes visible in larger group nodes... Oh, great, I've slipped into describing perfect software now.

If something like that doesn't exist, then it really needs to be created. So many people playing games that require maps, like D&D or using nodes to represent data... Someone must have had this problem before. Should search...

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 12, 2016, 02:18:10 pm »

Or you could just describe places and roads and such and count on the players to make their own maps to conveniently outsource the issue.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 12, 2016, 02:48:54 pm »

Hmmm... Many people use graphs to organize data, make it easier to process. And some of those graph-creation programs offer ways to automatically organize nodes to make them look better and/or fit as many of them in the screen as possible while making them easy to understand (with varying degrees of success). I wonder if there's a program where you can define a bunch of nodes and the groups they belong to and have the program try to organize them in an easy to view form, divide them into different groups and areas. Maybe something that can be exported into a series of web pages that form a map. So you can select City A, read a bit about it, then select west district, then a plaza, then an important building there, then a floor and then a particular room, to give an extreme example. Something that will do something like the preplexicon map I had made, but do it in a semi-automated way based on the into inputted by the GM. And the GM can have a public map and unhide sections as the players explore them. Maybe have some shortcuts to important nodes visible in larger group nodes... Oh, great, I've slipped into describing perfect software now.

If something like that doesn't exist, then it really needs to be created. So many people playing games that require maps, like D&D or using nodes to represent data... Someone must have had this problem before. Should search...

A while ago I made a program to handle such thing. With it you can create places, link them to other places, flag them found/not found, track who's where and render whole thing into JavaScript object that you can upload publicly available. Of course, since I suck at graphical representation, it is ugly as sin. If you wanna see what it outputs, then check my test game Question. Especially the later parts.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 12, 2016, 03:10:02 pm »

That get's confusing too if people have to compare multiple images in order to know where they are and where they should go.
it works for mall maps.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Moopli

• Bay Watcher
  • Free Spines Here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 12, 2016, 06:19:57 pm »

If you want to describe a small group of spaces connected non-euclideanly to each other, you can do something like this:

Black arrow is where the poor souls enter, and every colored arrow is a direct connection (could be an airlock, a door, simply empty space connecting two zones of a cavern, etc), where you match color and direction. Yes, if you also match direction, you can even flip someone's chirality (and have fun telling them left and right reversed until the end of time; and enjoy making them get diarrhea from eating sugar, and so on). There's a portal in the example above which does this.

It can certainly be a bit confusing to create, but it's much better than the predicament the players would be in, eh :D?

Or you could just describe places and roads and such and count on the players to make their own maps to conveniently outsource the issue.

The problem here is that as GM you often want to know what the world is actually like, and that requires making a canonical map so you can decide non-arbitrarily whether someone's getting lost.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 88