Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 88

Author Topic: ORO: ANOTHER QUESTION  (Read 114616 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
Re: ORO: Questions
« Reply #1230 on: April 06, 2017, 11:04:26 pm »

A! It worked well enough in perplexicon.

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: April 06, 2017, 11:11:48 pm »

B for the same reasons as AM pointed out
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: April 06, 2017, 11:38:25 pm »

A.  I really like the parts of Oro about exploration and expansion, with clearing and settling being an important (and possible) mechanic.  A reskinned ER mission format is far less interesting, though perhaps less risky.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: April 06, 2017, 11:56:04 pm »

far less interesting, though perhaps less risky.
AKA the Ubisoft option.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: April 07, 2017, 03:15:30 am »

A.

Thinking about New Londo, Endless Discharge, etc, and the amount of variation you can get out of one area, I think I'd prefer to have different things happen in the same place. Forums games often lack worldbuilding as well...
One wheel short of a wagon

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: April 07, 2017, 05:40:35 am »

A all the way.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1236 on: April 07, 2017, 09:19:05 am »

Option A seems to be winning out as of right now. So I'll add a second question. If you haven't replied to A or B, feel free to still reply.

Question the second:
How do you feel about fast travel?  With option A we have the difficulty that a preset world means that to get somewhere with the stuff you need, you might have to travel quite a distance through many different things. I can foresee it getting rather tedious to bash through monsters and areas repeatedly. As such, I think it might be prudent to allow fast travel in the form of a subway system. Stations for this system can serve both as places to  "warp" to and as places where new characters can jump in if an adventuriing party loses some of their members.

The alternative would be saying like "Ok, the party moves from our town to this area we previously discovered." and then I roll a series of encounters you have to fight in order to get there. Since moving through each area in real time would be extremely annoying, in a PBP format.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: April 07, 2017, 09:22:42 am »

Bonfires Fast travel sounds acceptable  :D

Also might want to think about "natural" fast travel: Journeys back and forth get faster as you unock shortcuts like bridges, elevators, doors, etc. Requires careful worldbuilding, but that's what Option A is about.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1238 on: April 07, 2017, 10:06:56 am »

Bonfires Fast travel sounds acceptable  :D

Also might want to think about "natural" fast travel: Journeys back and forth get faster as you unock shortcuts like bridges, elevators, doors, etc. Requires careful worldbuilding, but that's what Option A is about.
Shortcuts are assumed, but even with short cuts you'll have to fight SOME things and go through SOME areas in order to reach your destination. If you remember DS1, getting from blighttown to sens fortress, even with every shortcut unlocked, still takes a fair deal of walking.

I suppose, thinking back to it, that you could have it so that shortcut routes are relatively unpopulated with monsters, but if thats the case then you might as well just fast travel.

The way I'm thinking about it, for fast travel, is that fast travel is used to move between areas you've found, and shortcuts are used to move around in those areas and avoid having to deal with large parts of them unless you want to.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: April 07, 2017, 10:30:08 am »

I'd consider making it so that once the shortcut is unlocked, you can fast travel there, but no fast travel without an unlocked shortcut.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1240 on: April 07, 2017, 11:01:35 am »

I'd consider making it so that once the shortcut is unlocked, you can fast travel there, but no fast travel without an unlocked shortcut.
Thats the idea, yeah

You can't just instantly travel wherever you want, but once you reach a place, you can get there again. The idea being that each area will only have 1 station, and that interlevel shortcuts allow you to get back to that station. So as you explore the area, the shortcut allows you to return to different parts of the level without warping there.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1241 on: April 07, 2017, 06:13:33 pm »

Another question:
Do you want the world to have a story? A logic behind its existence? Or is such an abstract concept best left unexplained and simply experienced?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: April 07, 2017, 06:17:38 pm »

If you do have subways, maybe make it so it's possible to get attacked while traveling? It's not much fun to get in five random encounters while hiking across the world, but I also don't think that travel around ORO should be a free ride.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: ORO: Discussion of mechanics
« Reply #1243 on: April 07, 2017, 09:56:11 pm »

So I'm gonna be using the REVOLVER system for this. Mostly because people seem to be ok with it, I can do it easily enough, and it offers pretty tactical combat without being bloated.

Revolver only has combat skills so the OURO version is gonna need more  skills to work. I've been thinking and here are the skills I currently have. It should be noted that players aren't gonna be doing any rolls for managing their town. That's all just communal decisions. Player skills will be solely dedicated to adventuring. These are the current NON-COMBAT or at least not directly combative skills

Search: Used to find hidden items, doors, and stealthy enemies. Rolled automatically when there’s an opportunity.

Examine: Used to examine items, enemies, etc. Can be used to learn about items, display enemy stats, and the like.

Skullduggery: A blanket skill for things like bashing down doors, picking locks, disarming bombs and general roguish actions. 

First Aid: For the use of healing items.

Repair: Used to attempt to repair damaged or disabled things. Has some overlap with electronics and mechanics for mechanical or electronic things. In these cases, you may use whichever skill is higher as the roll

Movement: Used for out of the ordinary movements, such as climbing ropes or walls, balancing on an edge, or other acrobatic feats.

City Lore: Rolled to see if a character knows about something around them. For instance, if a player sees a new enemy, they will roll this to see if they know what it is, and thus get some info on it.

Electronics: Used to handle, repair or manipulate anything electronic.

Mechanics:  Used to handle, repair or manipulate anything mechanical.

Stealth: Used to remain unseen, stay quiet and generally not be noticed. When acting in a group, the player with the lowest stealth is the one who the roll is made against, since if he is noticed you all probably will be.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: April 08, 2017, 03:52:36 am »

Another question:
Do you want the world to have a story? A logic behind its existence? Or is such an abstract concept best left unexplained and simply experienced?
Yes. It helps with worldbuilding. Also, REVOLVER is the latter I think, and is too procedural for my taste.
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 88