Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can't make any book bindings/instruments  (Read 1006 times)

Hvinnir

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Can't make any book bindings/instruments
« on: March 09, 2016, 05:56:29 pm »

Hi all,

I wanted to try to build taverns/temples/libraries for the first time. All is working well but i just can't figure out how to make instruments and book bindings.
They just don't show up in the craftdwarfs workshop and manager screen. I read the wiki and searched the forums, but nobody seems to have the same problem.

Somebody any idea what's going on?

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can't make any book bindings/instruments
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 06:13:33 pm »

What version are you using?
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Spy227X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 06:22:33 pm »

If the world was generated in v40 but being used in v42, the RAWs are the same. You'll need to edit your interactions RAW (i assume copying it over from a v42 world will work) or gen a v42 world.

Edit: Greycat points out that you'd also need to modify your civ (entity_default iirc) to add stuff.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 06:45:37 pm by Spy227X »
Is this freshwater or saltwater? Because alternatively you could breed a large amount of crocodiles and unleash them into the waters... indirect genocide.

DoktaYut

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME:OCEAN_DEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 06:23:48 pm »

That's... an oddity. I'm thinking it might be a version screwup. They don't even show up in red, as in "lacking resources"?

Is this an older save updated to a new version? I think that little problem happened in that particular case.
This is a Bay 12 Forum Post. Written on the item is a signature entitled Thoughts on Signatures, authored by Dokta Yut. It concerns the elaboration, selection and display of forum signatures. The writing is very concise, yet it has a touch of humor. Overall, the prose is not awful, but not very good either.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 06:40:55 pm »

If the world was generated in v40 but being used in v42, the RAWs are the same. You'll need to edit your interactions RAW (i assume copying it over from a v42 world will work) or gen a v42 world.

If the world was generated in 0.40 then there simply aren't any procedurally generated instruments in your civilization.  Those instruments are created during world gen, and no raw editing can "fix" them.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Spy227X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 06:44:56 pm »

If the world was generated in 0.40 then there simply aren't any procedurally generated instruments in your civilization.  Those instruments are created during world gen, and no raw editing can "fix" them.
To make them you could add them though to MAKE them
Is this freshwater or saltwater? Because alternatively you could breed a large amount of crocodiles and unleash them into the waters... indirect genocide.

Hvinnir

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 07:06:38 pm »

Edit: Greycat points out that you'd also need to modify your civ (entity_default iirc) to add stuff.

I'm playing version 42.06. I updated it a month ago and unfortunately don't know where I updated it from...
So just overwrite the entity_default.txt with one from a newly generated world?

I tried overwriting the .txt and the raw and it gives me the error:

"Missing creature definition: TIGERMAN"

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 08:08:33 pm »

I'm playing version 42.06. I updated it a month ago and unfortunately don't know where I updated it from...
So just overwrite the entity_default.txt with one from a newly generated world?

I tried overwriting the .txt and the raw and it gives me the error:

"Missing creature definition: TIGERMAN"
I recognize that, I think I had the same problem running a fort from the last version. Your dwarves are trapped in a universe that appreciates literature and music, but is incapable of producing them.  :'(

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 08:24:03 pm »

Looks like you need to make a new world in order to make things like bookbindings and instruments. I'm pretty certain you will for instruments, since they're procedurally generated during worldgen. You might be able to copy over the correct raws to your save for bookbindings, but you'll have to figure out what changes need to get copied and which ones don't. I seriously doubt it will be as simple as copying whole files intact.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.