Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Ocean of Stars IC  (Read 7934 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: Ocean of Stars IC
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2016, 01:44:13 pm »

With a crunch, the lockpick snaps off inside the lock. It looks like it'd take a lot of effort and time to get it out.
And then the ship begins to move. Inside the cabin, the forces are also flat, only the liquid in the heavy glass angling itself.

A course is set, and the demon drive is activated.
Tokoda begins to follow the course set, and progress is made.

For a long while, the force of acceleration pushes the crew into whatever they were against - eventually, the acceleration reduces, and it's easier to move about again. You have several days to complete whatever tasks you wish to undertake.

Spoiler: Location (click to show/hide)

You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2016, 02:20:58 pm »

With a crunch, the lockpick snaps off inside the lock. It looks like it'd take a lot of effort and time to get it out.

"Well, it was a valiant effort." Fio offers Callisto, in a dry tone.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2016, 02:50:51 pm »

The Captain had a lot of papers. Fiori's and Richard set about searching through them, seeking any kind of clue.

They find the ship accounts (profitable, but a decline of late as the Captain began his search for something), and they find a heavy bag of powdery incense - the source of the smell. A receipt found tells them it's bluesilver vine incense - and apparently, it was damned pricey.

Fiori has gained a bag of bluesilver vine incense.

They find some letters, to other Captains, but none of them seem to contain any valuable information.

They also, incidentally, find his brandy.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2016, 05:05:38 pm »

Richard takes the bottle of brandy for himself and checks it if was opened or was still in good condition.

"A fine vintage, this." Richard twirled his moustache in satisfaction.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2016, 05:13:05 pm »

Setting the ship on the proper course before tying the wheel back down so it didn't move, Tokoda relaxed in her chair. She'd need adjustment every once in awhile, so Tokoda and Vaye would have to establish watches.
With a bit of gallows humor, Tokoda says, to no one in particular, "Pilot's log: Ship's time is... Twenty hundred and ten. We've left Zarnshope and are headed for Culworkes, with another five days ahead of us. I am on First Watch. Nothing of any interest to report, but crew morale seems low after the loss of the captain. Tokoda Moonfist out."
She glances over at Vaye, asking "You don't mind taking Middle Watch, right?"

(Watch system.)

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2016, 05:43:11 pm »

Nothing of any interest to report, but crew morale seems low after the loss of the captain."

"Funny that."

Sl4cker

• Bay Watcher
  • clouds are pretty :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2016, 05:52:52 pm »

"Ah, shi-" Hitting his head on the wall due to the force of acceleration, Callisto speaks his rather large vocabulary of swears at a rapid pace.

"Well, it was a valiant effort." Fio offers Callisto, in a dry tone.
He gives the middle finger.
Quote from: Empiricist
I mean no one wants dead whales and abortion clinics juxtaposed with each other, but it's just something that happens! Like false vacuum decay!
carrot cakeu

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2016, 08:57:52 am »

Following the lead pilot's orders, Vaye relaxed as the status of the ship from the initial jump petered back into stability. She was wholefully grateful of the state of technology they were in, that even quantum leaps such as these were taken care of by miniscule adjustments and mechanics, that of which was only possible after decades of applied thought and reasoning.

"I can rotate shifts with you Takoda, as well as anyone else responsible for piloting--that's three out of the whole crew here including me."

As an aside, she voiced out her concerns--if whomever was after the Captain sighted the casting away of his ship, then that meant they could be tracked by basic trajectory computations, as the ship had no relative complex mechanics of how it traversed space.

"Say, um, what if whoever bothered with our Captain bothered to track us down? Given what I know of stellar-travel, we can arrive out of the stellar-leap and be merely hours from meeting other ships parallel to our route, if they did give chase anyway. Do we have a plan of action since we don't have a Captain to give orders around?

"Also how goes searching the Captain's cabin?"

Relax, and maintain optimal course efficiency. Ponder on what we can actually do in the midst of getting to our destination {GM Help Info please?}

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2016, 11:38:47 am »

"Say, um, what if whoever bothered with our Captain bothered to track us down? Given what I know of stellar-travel, we can arrive out of the stellar-leap and be merely hours from meeting other ships parallel to our route, if they did give chase anyway. Do we have a plan of action since we don't have a Captain to give orders around?"

"It goes without saying we're going to need to choose a new captain. As soon as possible. If these people did attack us, what would be our response? A dozen voices shouting a dozen different orders. We need to elect a person of worth to lead us, make command decisions...though, I suspect ownership of the vessel and it's profits may become more democratic than before. Unless...we all wish to kill one another and see who is left standing?" She said, ending on a cheerful note.

Cheerful for a warrior Elf, anyway.

"Also how goes searching the Captain's cabin?"

Fiori shook her head.

"Our thie...or, our person of a certain skillset, has not been entirely successful in opening the safe. In fact he made it worse...

And, the Captains accounts indicate he was keeping his head out of the void, surely, but profits were down...he was looking for something. No idea what. We did find the source of the substance...a strong scent...and very expensive..."
She tried to recall if she had ever heard anything about 'Bluevine Incense'-even a small clue could lead them somewhere.

Action: Do I know anything specific about Bluevine incense, by the way?
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2016, 10:53:30 pm »

"Expensive? When our money situation wasn't great?"

Sl4cker

• Bay Watcher
  • clouds are pretty :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2016, 03:48:04 am »

"Our thie...or, our person of a certain skillset, has not been entirely successful in opening the safe. In fact he made it worse...
"Sod off, ya leaf-eating floozy. I'll get this chest open in a couple of hours, at most!" As he constantly wore a cloak over his head in order to avoid showing his pointed ears, Callisto was fairly certain most of the crew did not know he was an elf. Some of the smarter ones probably suspected, though.
Get lockpick out of lock. Continue lockpicking the lock with new lockpick.
Quote from: Empiricist
I mean no one wants dead whales and abortion clinics juxtaposed with each other, but it's just something that happens! Like false vacuum decay!
carrot cakeu

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2016, 10:16:42 am »

"Expensive? When our money situation wasn't great?"

"It is curious, isn't it? Either he was merely a man with expensive tastes, or he had a way to get some in an easier manner."

"Sod off, ya leaf-eating floozy. I'll get this chest open in a couple of hours, at most!"

"Elves don't eat leaves! At least my clan didn't. How could you kill an innocent plant?" She asked, somewhat sarcastically. Her tribe had been...somewhat old fashioned, in that regard...plants were by all definitions, living beings-even if plucked them from the ground and they dried out. You couldn't eat a living plant, they reasoned-and there was no way to tell if plants ever could 'die'-they just sort of dissolved back into the ground, making more plants. Now, you could eat something that was already absolutely proven to be dead...

As for herself, Fiori made no effort to conceal her Elven identity, her mannerisms frequently giving her away-however, it was difficult to tell she was an Elf physically, unless you got close. And for Callisto, who her disdain for was partly feigned out of the constant amusement it provided, she could really care less what he was hiding under that suspicious hood he wore all the time-no matter if it was a pair of pointy Elven ears, a pet wildeslug, a pair of wooly earmuffs or brainshroom. It had little bearing on their continued survival, and thus, was beneath her notice.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 10:18:22 am by Dwarmin »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2016, 10:47:46 am »

Richard takes the bottle of brandy for himself and checks it if was opened or was still in good condition.

"A fine vintage, this." Richard twirled his moustache in satisfaction.

Mm-hmmm. You'll enjoy this, you reckon. Unfortunately it's been opened previously (else the captain must have been some kind of secret mage to get some in the glass), but the bottle is still mostly full.

Action: Do I know anything specific about Bluevine incense, by the way?
You know it smells strong, at least.

That said, you do recall the scent before. Once, when even a non-mage like yourself was permitted up into the Crown Roots for your initiation as a warrior, you remember the smell, strong and entwined with the stench of blood, so thick you almost choked... you can't think of a purpose it was there, beyond ritual, or perhaps it was there for the fey that watched from the walls.

You don't ever recall encountering it in the Scatter before. You'd recognise the odour, if you did.

"Sod off, ya leaf-eating floozy. I'll get this chest open in a couple of hours, at most!" As he constantly wore a cloak over his head in order to avoid showing his pointed ears, Callisto was fairly certain most of the crew did not know he was an elf. Some of the smarter ones probably suspected, though.
Get lockpick out of lock. Continue lockpicking the lock with new lockpick.

Looks like that'll take a while. Gods be damned.

If anyone wants to do anything over the journey, say now. Suggestions for actions have been posted in the OOC.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2016, 10:55:20 am »

Later...

Fiori had waited until the entire crew was in the mess hall to give her speech-during dinner, but after her unfortunate attempt at music to lighten the crews spirits. She had really gone all the way to make a good atmosphere...

Not that they had anyone who knew how to cook, and they hadn't exactly had time to load up on fresh food given their hasty departure...Fiori had hashed out a meal herself for the crew-spooning greasy huge gobs of vaguely defined meatlike substance onto plates and into bowls-it's only taste was it's extraordinary spiciness, implying she had run out of options and gone for her usual method of combating an enemy-overwhelming force. Grudgingly, she had added Dwarven ironbread to the side-more of a chewing exercise than a meal, that.

She had splurged by rewarding the crew with flagons of cold mineral water to drink. Bizarrely, she had also tied a strip of red ribbon around all the forks and spoons. She had given no reason for this. Or any hint where she found ribbon.

Cormyr was at the meal too, digging away at some delicately cooked roast with tiny, sharp claws. Much better looking than what Fiori gave the crew...

Fio put down the Elven harp she had been mauling, and spoke loudly and with confidence at the appointed time.

"...Listen up, you lot! We need to choose a new Captain-someone to give orders, to choose our direction. We need someone in charge, someone who cannot be opposed. You can run a city through majority rule, but if you run a ship like that it's called a mutiny. We're going to do this without much drama-stand up and be counted if you wish to be considered for the Captain. Convince the rest of us-if we stand with you, then we're for you. Whichever woman has the most of the crew on her side, we shall all pledge loyalty to her. Easy enough. No time to scheme and ferret in the shadows! This will be a warriors induction. Though hopefully we can avoid using the Elven Circle of Death ritual, in the event of a tie..

So, who shall step up and take the branch?

I've also drafted some papers you all need to sign, as well...giving each person on the ship an equal share of the profits, and his fair share of upkeep costs. Essentially, each person owes one seventh of the vessel. It lasts until either you die or leave the ship-either of your own will, or...majority rule! At which point the remaining shares of the ship are divided among the survivors. Of course, if you do not wish to sign, you can still be considered a crewmember-as will those who join us afterwards.

And I warn you, these papers won't hold up against any prior wishes of the Captain-if he deeded this vessel to someone else, we'll have no legal standing to ownership...except salvage rights, I suppose. Which was good as any!"

She often punctuated her little speech by stabbing her dagger at the air, as if impaling imaginary enemies. Sort of foreboding, really.

If anyone wants to do anything over the journey, say now. Suggestions for actions have been posted in the OOC.

Action: Fiori spends the journey trying to hone her connection with Cormyr and teach him some 'tricks'-by which I mean she tells him what to do, and he decides if it's worth his time. She wants to train other beasts, as noted, and this little fellow is a good start as any...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 11:22:18 am by Dwarmin »

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2016, 11:46:08 am »

"As for me, I happen to not be particularily interested in whomever becomes the captain as long as the orders are reasonable, but most importantly profitable in the end. I'm an enterpreneur at heart, after all. Which reminds me that I should see the entirety of this... void-worthy... vessel and see what we've got for bargaining."

Richard signs the paper, then does not vote for a Captain proposal and instead begins scouting the entirety of accessible ship areas to do an inventory check and see what scrap or machinery can be sold without disturbing the ship's performance in any way.

"Anything in particular I should not touch? Hmm hmm, pity there's no one here is there." Richard mumbled as he, during his check of the ship, ultimately stumbled into the engine room. Not being a mischievious gremlin nor a dumb animal, he merely gave everything a looksie from respectable distance of at least few meters.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 12:43:44 pm by Haspen »
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9