Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Ocean of Stars IC  (Read 7940 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Ocean of Stars IC
« on: March 05, 2016, 05:52:23 pm »

OOC thread

The captain was dead.
He'd always treated you well - a stern, middle-aged man, completely bald, with an iron sense of justice and fairness. Of late, he'd been reclusive - disappearing into his cabin for long periods on each voyage. When you berthed at a town or village, he'd go off by himself, his cabin locked securely.

And now he was dead.

You'd cast anchor at the town of Zarnshope, in the middle of the Scatter. Not a very good place for trading, truth be told - you'd been pushed hard, of late, and supplies were low. The cargo of trade goods - iron, mostly - had already been unloaded on the dock, and seven bored crewmembers had gathered on deck.
From the town, you heard shouting, and the drawing of steel.

As fast as he could, the Captain appeared running towards you, waving his hands. A huge, armoured figure pursued him, along with a half dozen smaller but no well less armed warriors.
"Cast off! Cast off!" He shouted, just as the huge knight brought his sword down in an arc.

Blood splashed against the stone of the floor.

---

That was over a day ago now - you've escaped into the void, and now must decide where to go next. Supplies are low, so it will have to be somewhere close - and one of the places in reach is the place the Captain had mentioned was your next stop.

Spoiler: Location (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 08:22:43 pm by GiglameshDespair »
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ocean of Stars IC
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 07:16:20 pm »

Tokoda gripped the helm, staring off into the black. She was maintaining orbit around the asteroid they had stopped at to take stock of the situation. The thinking was to drop into orbit around her for an easy course correction once they figured out where they were headed. It wasn't very distracting, the opposite of what Tokoda was looking for right now. She wanted nothing more than to sink herself gleefully into work, but there was just nothing to do. Even piloting was put off; with the captain dead, the order to sail to Culworkes had been belayed-not by anyone, but just from a general consensus.
Her foot tapped frustratedly on the wooden step she had installed so she could see over the wheel. She needed somewhere to go, and she was close to just firing the engines to take the ship off to Culworkes if the rest of the crew didn't make up their minds.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 10:44:25 pm »

Moving around in the engine room, Gert tapped his foot as he checked that the systems were running properly, double-checked them, and check them again. He hadn't known the captain as well as he would have liked, but he'd respected him all the same.

He moved up onto the deck, standing beside Tokoda, and looked off into the inky never-ending void.

"So... any idea where to go?"

« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 10:48:39 pm by Pencil_Art »

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 11:19:47 pm »

When Gert entered the bridge, Tokoda turned from staring out into the void and gave a smile and jaunty wave. She appreciated the distraction from her thoughts. "We've got cargo in the hold. We were headed to Culworkes with this load before..." She let the unsaid words hang in the air before breaking the short silence. "Might as well finish the last voyage. We can stock up on supplies and pick up a new job, or just some new cargo, depending."

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 11:36:44 pm »

Gert returned the wave. "Yes. Alright. Good idea."

Gert moved to get off the bridge. "I'll be in either the life support or the engine room, if anyone needs me."

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2016, 11:58:47 pm »

Tokoda nodded and turned back to the wheel, making a small course correction.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 12:07:55 am »

Taking her post alongside the maintenance areas, Vaye couldn't help but ponder on what had happened to the jovial Captain over the prior weeks. A quick order to cast away was something swiftly executed--as an assistant to the ship's pilot could do, but with one less crewmember on board, there was tension in the air. Professional worksmanship being one part of it, and the other surrounding the Captain's doings.

"Anyone planning on returning here? There, I mean, from our-...last port?"

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2016, 12:13:09 am »

"No. Not me, at least. I don't really feel like we'll be met well there. We'll probably be associated with our captain and whatever he was doing to warrant such a welcome."

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2016, 12:23:54 am »

"Maybe when we're well off, later on then."

Vaye's mind wandered around the Captain's quarters, still securely locked and awaiting its unlikely occupant. She didn't see what had occurred and assumed the Captain was on board, until the faces of the crew told otherwise. A stray thought appealing to intrigue passed her by: Wouldn't it help if the Captain's quarters was searched to help him? She let the thought go unanswered and tended to her duties.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2016, 01:34:21 am »

"Let's hope for success, then!" Gert says, merrily, before walking off to some other part of the ship to conduct maintenance.

Sl4cker

• Bay Watcher
  • clouds are pretty :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2016, 08:34:58 am »

"Yes, let's hope for success. Our supplies are low, we've only got a bunch of wood and random junk as cargo, and the captain's bloody dead. Honestly, seems like the most logical option to me." Appearing suddenly and without warning as was usual for him, Callisto sports a sour face and crossed arms from behind Vaye and Gert, leaning on the wall.
Quote from: Empiricist
I mean no one wants dead whales and abortion clinics juxtaposed with each other, but it's just something that happens! Like false vacuum decay!
carrot cakeu

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2016, 01:07:13 pm »

"I still say we should have avenged the Captains death, somehow. He was a decent enough of a Human. He didn't deserve to be spitted like a Fardarggen* in the sky." Fiori said grudgingly, not for the first time.

Fiori had been about to run to the Captain's side when she saw him in danger-indeed, to die if it came to that-but...he had had given a final order, to retreat with the ship. She couldn't disobey his command. Even if it was his last one. Her personal code of honor insisted she would have to reckon vengeance. Not exactly because she had liked the Captain-though he wasn't a bad sort, and had no problems with Elves (in fact he might have liked them a bit too much)-but, because she had been hired as his bodyguard. He had been a fair man, and true-few humans could say, or Elves for that matter. He had earned her grudging respect. Since she had failed in her task, the only way to restore balance was to strike down his killers in turn, if the opportunity afforded it...this was complicated by the fact her job (which she technically was still hired for) was also to protect the crew...

She had poked her heard in from the hallway, not feeling comfortable in the increasingly crowded space of the cockpit. Fiori got the urge to swing her sticks around when people crowded too close.

"...As it is, I suppose we should go to this 'Cull-war-kiss' village. The Captains murderers may be waiting there for us." Fiori said, her voice betraying her enthusiasm at the idea.

*Fardarggen: An Elvish 'cattle' animal-sort of a cross between a colorful butterfly and a bad tempered lizard, it's raised in flocks near the upper branches of the Tanglewood. When they grow large enough to be butchered, Elvish marksmen snipe them out of the sky-preserving both the tasty meat, and their archery skills.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2016, 06:07:18 pm »

"Before we make a decision on what to do about our Captain's murderers perhaps it would be best to find out what got him killed, and I suspect his quarters might have some of the answers we're looking for."

Granite said as he made his way towards the Captain's Quarters, and slipping the pair of Adamantine Knuckles onto his hands in preparation. Its just a locked door, surely it can't be that hard to open.

Punch the door to the Captain's room until it opens, or stops impeding my way.

Sl4cker

• Bay Watcher
  • clouds are pretty :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2016, 06:15:36 pm »

Callisto raises his eyebrows at the dwarf, before stepping in front of him. "First of all, you don't exactly need to punch the door in when a master infiltrator, such as myself, is able to do his damn job. Secondly, what would actually be best, in my opinion, is making sure we have enough supplies to live for more than a week."

Get past that door.
Quote from: Empiricist
I mean no one wants dead whales and abortion clinics juxtaposed with each other, but it's just something that happens! Like false vacuum decay!
carrot cakeu

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2016, 10:58:49 pm »

Gert winces at the door punching.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9