Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: thinking of playing DF again. can anyone "update" me?  (Read 3738 times)

ViciousBug

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
thinking of playing DF again. can anyone "update" me?
« on: March 05, 2016, 01:27:03 pm »

Hi

So, last time I played this game I played on version 0.34.11, I was wondering if the game really has changed since (don't want to read 2 year of changelogs)... seen the latest version is 0.42.06... also, if I install a newer version, should i just delete my old DF folder or install over it (was using some mods at the time like Df hacks and dwarf therapist)

Also, has game running performence been increased? I remember having troubles when having bigger fortresses, game was starting to lagg badly.

Thanks!

Spinning Fly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: thinking of playing DF again. can anyone "update" me?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 11:48:14 pm »

So, last time I played this game I played on version 0.34.11, I was wondering if the game really has changed since (don't want to read 2 year of changelogs)

I was in the same position as you (playing for the first time since 34.11) a month or so back, so I guess everything new for me will be new for you too:

• Goblin and kobold ambushes have been removed, I think temporarily. You can re-enable this by changing the raws back. I've seen necro ambushers coming together with necro sieges, so I'm not entirely sure how those have changed
  • Undead got nerfed somewhat, they aren't that OP anymore. However necromancer sieges now come with armed zombies, which are a hell of a lot more dangerous
  • There are also a lot of new giant animals and animal men available in savage biomes, and now you can choose to play as these animal men in adventurer mode as well (e.g. playing as an elephant man)
  • You can now create "locations" in your fort like taverns, libraries and temples
  • Taverns are places for your dwarves to drink, perform and watch performances, and can attract visitors from other civilisations to come to perform or chill. Some of these can petition to join your fort as performers or warriors, and can eventually become full citizens
  • Temples basically exist to fulfil the dwarves' need to "Worship!", though you can sometimes get dance performances
  • Libraries are places for your dwarves to read, write and copy books and scrolls. You can attract scholars to do the same as well
  • Dwarf happiness has been changed completely. Now there's a separate metric measuring the stress level of your dwarves based on how many of their needs are fulfilled. These include praying, drinking alcohol, practicing skills, crafting, fighting etc.
  • Trees occupy multiple tiles now, and can grow to several z-levels high
  • You can collect fruits from trees using herbalists and the new plant gathering zones
  • There are a LOT of new above-ground crops available, which can be processed in various different ways. All of the crops that produce cloth can now be turned into paper as well

Hopefully I didn't miss anything

seen the latest version is 0.42.06... also, if I install a newer version, should i just delete my old DF folder or install over it (was using some mods at the time like Df hacks and dwarf therapist)

I think it's best if you don't overwrite. AFAIK DFhack isn't available for 42.06 yet, but Dwarf Therapist is. Not sure about the starter packs and all that.

Also, has game running performence been increased? I remember having troubles when having bigger fortresses, game was starting to lagg badly.

Eh, if anything it seems a little more laggy in 200-dwarf forts than in 34.11.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 11:52:14 pm by Spinning Fly »
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. The competent use magma.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 11:52:01 pm »

adventure mode has goblin forts and elvish giant trees for you to visit. All trees are multi-tiled now. You can put different levels of prioities on different jobs, so dwarfs get the important ones done faster, you have some nifty mining tools, like automine a vein of a specific material, etc.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 12:53:45 am »

Kobolds haven't been removed. I'm getting a few thief attacks a year in my current fortress. That last post was mainly changes from 40.24 to 42.x. Since you last played a lot has changed. Designation priorities and the ability to auto-mine gems is pretty big too.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 01:37:56 am »

Mini-changelog ho~!

-There are a bajillion quality of life improvements and bugfixes for fort mode. Too many to easily list.
-Morale is implemented and is currently only moderately wonky.
-Visitors visit and do visity things.
-You can make "l"ocations out of meeting rooms and designate them as taverns, libraries or temples.
-Dwarves will write books if you give them the supplies and will make scientific discoveries.
-Dwarves use mugs to drink booze now.
-Happiness is replaced by stress and focus and seems generally more forgiving. Tantrum spirals seem somewhat less prevalent, although we get people getting killed in drunken brawls now.
-Stuff happens in the outside world in fort mode, although very abstracted and in much less detail then world-gen.
-Civs/entities are more multi-racial, although goblins are still disliked.
-Alchohol has more realistic effects now and less hardy dwarves can even die outright from it if they overconsume.

Adventurer mode has gone through a lot more changes:

-You can jump, sprint AND climb now.
-Quest system is changed, generally more obtuse
-Conversations are better, you can choose a bunch of topics.
-You can talk to people about their beliefs and even change them if you argue well enough.
-You get to set your adventurers personality now.
-Animal people are playable, including the dreaded elephant men.
-You can join bandits now, I think. They give you quests.
-You can perform and gather a performing band.
-There are taverns and tavern brawls.
-You can knock down statues in temples for instacurse.
-Combat is improved greatly, especially unarmed combat
-As of next release[42.07], adventure crafting and constructions will be implemented.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Spinning Fly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 08:05:55 am »

Kobolds haven't been removed. I'm getting a few thief attacks a year in my current fortress. That last post was mainly changes from 40.24 to 42.x. Since you last played a lot has changed. Designation priorities and the ability to auto-mine gems is pretty big too.

Yeah I know kobold thieves haven't been removed, but their ambushes have. Similarly goblin thieves and sieges still happen, but goblin ambushes don't.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. The competent use magma.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 05:06:46 pm »

Ah sorry, Kobold ambushes used to be a thing? Hmm.
Bunch of Kobolds decide let's go attack a heavily guarded dwarf fortress just for lols. That sounds sensible...

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 07:36:51 am »

Don't be surprised when your dwarves stop their job and duke it out with their fists because they escalated a heated argument.

Similarly, don't be surprised when enemies (if they show up) jump and climb to get around trivial obstacles (like a 1z rough wall).

I can't remember if minecarts were around in v0.34.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

ViciousBug

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 12:21:10 pm »

Great! thanks!
I dowloaded the 40.24 starter pack instead of latest version. need DfHacks to remove pesky aquifers!
Still getting bad laggs tho. can't go past 150 years in world gen, drop at 0 FPS and years are super slow.
Same in fortress mode,i'm at 30 fps with only 20 dwarves  :'( My computer not young anymore...
But thanks for the replies! good memories relearning all the basic stuff

Also, I have lots of coulourful patches around my trees, I belive those are fallen leaves, but it is really ugly and never going off, I thought it was rainning blood at first,  :o
Is there some way to turn this off?

Tygroux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2016, 12:33:16 pm »

It appears that micromanaging you dwarves occupation gets a lot more rewarding.

A craftdwarf at heart will deal with it if you put it in the millitary but the food is good and the bodies few, but one doing what he loves with its needs fulfilled will really perform great. (less pauses and fights, more quality and speed.
Consider also that tantrums spirals have let places to tantrum storms, wich can be more or less commons and far in between depending of the stress level (no more "breaking point" like before where people would suicide and murder each other, rather, an increase in panics, more lethal and frequent brawls, a fall in efficiency...)

Things tend to climb and swim more. 1-high walls aren't enough anymore. Add in the fact that discipline, courage and recklessness are actually a thing now, and war HAS changed.
Mostly recruits running away and drunkyards rushing werebears.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2016, 01:25:18 pm »

You can assign particular types of stone to masonry jobs using the [d]etails submenu.

And if you figure it out, you can customize statues (for instance, make a statue of a particular dwarvish deity) instead of having them picked at random.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 01:43:15 pm by mirrizin »

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2016, 03:26:57 pm »

DF-hack has a command called "clean" I believe that can get rid of leaves.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2016, 04:59:28 pm »

"clean item all" gets rid of fruit and leaves in DFHack. I use it to actually see the saplings in my tree growth experiment. I don't think you can turn it off, though (cutting the trees down will stop the buggers from cluttering up the place, though).

Raven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2016, 06:14:59 am »

embark in a rocky wasteland, more fun

I don't really like all of that wood popping out of a single three, I get that it's more realistic, but embarking in a woodland cover my map of wood
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 06:16:31 am by Raven »
http://dwarffortressitalia.tumblr.com/

Italian blog about Dwarf Fortress

Il primo blog italiano su Dwarf Fortress

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2016, 07:22:46 am »

I think we srill miss the most impressive feature here: world history continues while you play!
Pages: [1] 2