Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: the hammerer in 42.x  (Read 1188 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
the hammerer in 42.x
« on: March 05, 2016, 11:00:27 am »

So recently, I was having issues with my hammerer not using the artefact bone warhammer made by a craftsdwarf mood.
The answer given in a thread (forgot which thread) was that I needed to assign the warhammer to the hammerer in the military menu.

Now I always thought that hammering was a civilian job that needs an available warhammer.
So I wasn't surprised when drafting the hammerer, and equipping the thing did not work either.

I just found out the problem.
Hammering still is a civilian job, which requires an available warhammer lying around in your fortress.
the problem: artefact bone(?) warhammers do not count as a hammerer job compatible item.
I just made a normal adamantine warhammer, and sure enough, the next hammering sentence has been carried out properly by my hammerer.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

bmxbumpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • How did I pass? She beat me like I owed her money.
    • View Profile
Re: the hammerer in 42.x
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 12:11:18 pm »

That's weird, I keep seeing you chaps posting you need to have a warhammer "available" laying around. But the last time my hammered, off duty, smashed someones head in with a silver hammer, I switched him in the military screen to a wooden one and didnt have the issue again.  I wonder why so many people have different experiences with this

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: the hammerer in 42.x
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 12:29:52 pm »

Some more testing:

- not drafted into the military: hammerer grabs hammer from stockpile, delivers hammering to sentenced dwarf.
- when drafted into the military(inactive), with the adamantin hammer assigned via the equipment screen: cancels execute criminal, no available hammer message.
- when drafted into the military(inactive), with no weapon assigned: hammerer grabs warhammer from stockpile, delivers hammerings to sentenced dwarf

I will test next if i can assign any weapon + shield to the hammerer, and still have him use the hammer from the stockpile for punishment

EDIT: I assigned the bone artefact hammer via the equipment screen, and a shield. When hammertime came around again, the hammerer went for the stockpile, and used the adamantine warhammer lying there to deliver punishment, while still wearing his military equipped hammer and shield (strapped to body)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 01:24:53 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479