Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Infinite inventory space in workshops?  (Read 2786 times)

a rhesus macaque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Infinite inventory space in workshops?
« on: December 12, 2007, 10:28:00 pm »

Hey. I noticed that my workshops can store seemingly infinite amounts of whatever they produce if I don't have a stockpile for them. But that seems to make many stockpiles pointless, like wine and furniture stockpiles. Why would you ever make a stockpile for wine if your dwarves can just take it from the brewery? Or why make a furniture stockpile if they can just take items as needed from the carpenter's shop or the masonary?

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
Re: Infinite inventory space in workshops?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 10:28:00 pm »

rotting+clutter=not fun
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

a rhesus macaque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 10:34:00 pm »

Really?  How long does it take for wine to go bad?  And maybe I'm not very observant, but I don't really notice any clutter around my workshops.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 10:36:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by a rhesus macaque:
<STRONG>Really?  How long does it take for wine to go bad?  And maybe I'm not very observant, but I don't really notice any clutter around my workshops.</STRONG>

You don't understand what the hell you're doing if you think you don't need food stockpiles for, say, a kitchen. Unless you're without common sense, you'd need stockpiles to be even moderately efficient in any kind of production.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 10:37:00 pm »

double

[ December 12, 2007: Message edited by: Torak ]

Ookpik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 10:37:00 pm »

It's clutter IN your workshops you need to worry about.  If the top line of your workshop description says CLT, then your building is getting slowed down.  The brighter the colour (it moves through grey, white, yellow, red), the more efficiency is being sacrificed.
g+@@T@+

The intruder arose, casting off its black cloak.  "Behold, stunted jesters!  It is I, Scuro!"  A jagged scar marked the goblin's face from eye to chin, his greasy mane gray and wild, and about his neck was the broken silver amulet, strapped together by a leather band.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 10:38:00 pm »

Clutter more than offsets any gains from not hauling that item somewhere. Producing each item takes much longer for every level of clutter.
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

a rhesus macaque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 10:53:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Torak:
<STRONG>

You don't understand what the hell you're doing if you think you don't need food stockpiles for, say, a kitchen. Unless you're without common sense, you'd need stockpiles to be even moderately efficient in any kind of production.</STRONG>

Nice to see that even Dwarf Fortress has its share of assholes.  Sorry I didn't realize that the forums are only for people who already know everything about the game, and therefore have no reason to post anything other than to berate people.  And no, it's not "common sense" to know what the letters "CLT" mean, or what the clutter mechanic specifically entails, or that there even is one.

[ December 12, 2007: Message edited by: a rhesus macaque ]

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 11:08:00 pm »

Don't mind Torak.  I'm not sure where he came from, but I haven't seen a jerk of that caliber in the forums since I joined them.

Feel free to ask all the questions you need, that's what we're here for.  Almost everyone here is more than willing to help.  :)

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2007, 11:13:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sappho:
<STRONG>Don't mind Torak.  I'm not sure where he came from, but I haven't seen a jerk of that caliber in the forums since I joined them.

Feel free to ask all the questions you need, that's what we're here for.  Almost everyone here is more than willing to help.   :)</STRONG>

Why am I a jerk? Don't go calling people things, that's just rude.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2007, 11:15:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Torak:
<STRONG>

You don't understand what the hell you're doing if you think you don't need food stockpiles for, say, a kitchen. Unless you're without common sense, you'd need stockpiles to be even moderately efficient in any kind of production.</STRONG>

No, THAT is rude.  If you don't have anything constructive or helpful to say, then please don't bother.  There is absolutely no cause to insult someone who is only asking a simple question.  This game is complicated and difficult to learn, so we all try to be supportive of each other.

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2007, 11:16:00 pm »

Check the wiki for an article on clutter. By the way, the 't' key is very useful for managing such clutter. (Shows you all the contents of a building, including what it is made from, as well as the contents of your wagon{s})

Basically, you need to watch out for clutter in butcher's workshops and any shops that see a LOT of use. Butcher shops pile bones and such up and aren't the highest of priorities for most dwarves to clean. Also, I'm relatively certain that any food, even if it's in a barrel, can rot if not put into a stockpile.

EDIT: Torak - generally, using an exasperated tone (swearwords and the like) and making comments to the effect that someone is without sense is regarded as demeaning and rude. I strongly recommend that you examine your choice of words in the future if you don't want to come across as an idiot of the highest degree. That being said, I think most reasonable people among us should be able to agree that from time to time mistakes in reading and typing can occur, especially when one becomes comfortable and "loose" in one's assumptions.
However, many people (especially in the day and age where using proper and reasoned grammar and vocabulary is considered "weird" and "gay") may still fail to grasp the concept of courtesy and thus try to make themselves feel superior by "flaming" you. I plead with such people not to harass you about this any further, as doing so would only exacerbate the situation.

SIDE NOTE: Dear Diary, today I finally got to use the word "exacerbate" in a sentence. Now my life is complete. Or at least as complete as it can be without a final, perfect release of Dwarf Fortress.

EDIT: Good cripes, if I don't stop editing this I'll never get to sleep. (This is at least the fifth time, I just keep deleting the little edit log.)

[ December 12, 2007: Message edited by: Reasonableman ]

A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2007, 11:18:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sappho:
<STRONG>

No, THAT is rude.  If you don't have anything constructive or helpful to say, then please don't bother.  There is absolutely no cause to insult someone who is only asking a simple question.  This game is complicated and difficult to learn, so we all try to be supportive of each other.</STRONG>

I am aware he was asking a question. I realized that he was not making a statement, but asking. It's a grammatical error on my part, and I'm still working on finding a way to apologize without looking like a total jerk-off. Assuming the worst of people is a very ugly trait to have, miss.

Scorpios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2007, 11:57:00 pm »

[CLICHÉ]Stop it, stop it! All this fighting is tearing us apart.[/CLICHÉ]
 find that I identify forum goers more by their signatures than anything else.
That being said, I should probably think of something witty to put here.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2007, 12:07:00 am »

Food in barrels will never rot, no matter where it is. Alcohol is always in barrels (at least, unless something strange happens) so it won't ever rot.

Anyway I think everyone has made some pretty good points on why you want to avoid using workshops as storage. However, don't be afraid to do it sometimes especially for a small amount of items. For example, I almost never build a furniture stockpile and instead just let the chairs and whatever sit in the masons shop till I get around to building them.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!
Pages: [1] 2