Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to Stop Dwarves Cleaning Themselves  (Read 896 times)

Glitchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to Stop Dwarves Cleaning Themselves
« on: March 03, 2016, 06:30:23 pm »

I have an in house bathhouse/pond that I can flush in and out water, but unless I put all my dwarves in an active burrow. Dwarves keep going outside...sometimes annoyingly into a siege rendering my defenses moot from their idiocy to wash themselves with soap. I'd rather not use burrows so I don't get cancellation messages with things being stocked. Is there any other way to stop this?

Admiral Obvious

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Wordsmith
    • View Profile
Re: How to Stop Dwarves Cleaning Themselves
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 06:43:34 pm »

Try designating your bath house as a water source with zoning. Maybe you could restrict traffic to the river too.

Not sure if it'll work, but it might.
"I have a rock here for you.  No animals or plants died bringing you this rock.  How fast do you want me to throw it at you?"

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 07:05:12 pm »

Paint a very big burrow should work.
Or you can design some wells inside your fort and hope they use it.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 07:42:51 pm »

You pretty much have a choice of a burrow with the attendant cancellation messages, or having your dwarves run out into the combat zone to take baths, pick up socks, clean up spilled blood, gather fruit, climb trees and get stuck, just hang out with no job, etc. They have no clue that it's dangerous out there.

So you just have to ask yourself, which do you prefer, a bunch of messages flashing at the bottom of your screen, or a bunch of dead civilians. It's a tough decision sometimes, and only you can make it.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

slashnul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 08:39:57 pm »

Put your soap stockpile at the end of a hall way.  In the beginning put a pressure plate, and above the middle have a small reservoir of water opened by the pressure plate.  When dwarfs enter the hallway to pick up soap they'll get doused, hopefully with enough water to cause this cleaning job to cancel.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 09:32:37 pm »

How do you keep the reservoir full enough to wash each dwarf, without eventually flooding your fort?

Hmmm, could have floors grates so the water drains away...

It might be doable. A drive-thru dwarf-wash.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

slashnul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 10:03:56 pm »

I think youll find a few methods on the wiki.  But just keep in mind that when they want to clean themselves they'll grab soap first.  And if you clean them before they get to the soap, you can get them to cancel the job and save soap if theyre submerged in 4/7 water, even briefly.

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 10:56:10 pm »

You can turn off the cancellation messages in the 'o'rders menu
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".