Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15

Author Topic: Republic of New Guinea Design Thread (8 Engineers)  (Read 16079 times)

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Republic of New Guinea Design Thread (8 Engineers)
« Reply #121 on: March 12, 2016, 05:54:02 pm »

The heck is with that naming system? Thats not what we use...

Also, which language? Google translate thinks its Romanian of all things.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 12, 2016, 08:43:20 pm »

We are going to do the classic arstotzkan New Guinean thing of adding numbers to names,also its 1 because its the first version of it and 1952 because that's the year it was made...

Ps removing the numbers makes a name of a character.

PPs im so happy people like my first idea,submarines are great nuke editions ho!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 09:01:35 pm by piratejoe »
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 12, 2016, 09:06:23 pm »

So whats the Ki bit about? With the system we use, I would expect either NG-CS52, CS-52, or something similar.

* Aseaheru looks up the name

Just... What the fuck does that have to do with A) this game, B) subs, or C) weapons in general?
Highly Opinionated Fool

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 12, 2016, 09:17:21 pm »

Maybe we should design a radar unit? If they're going for air power having the ability to have a early warning system would greatly help us gain air superiority(See Battle of Britain.). beside then we could build AA guns equipped with radar which would drastically improve it's effectiveness.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 12, 2016, 09:42:15 pm »

* Aseaheru looks up the name

Just... What the fuck does that have to do with A) this game, B) subs, or C) weapons in general?
Its just a name,jeez,how about i start nit picking on your name.

Edit Screw it im changing the name,happy now?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 09:51:02 pm by piratejoe »
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 12, 2016, 10:00:58 pm »

That will be useful but we wont be dealing with the feds till at least two turns(besides the use of subs),besides the two things we are making this turn are a sub and a AA it from what it seems at the moment,and how useful is a radar without AA or fighter aircraft,next turn i suggest we make a fighter and a large radar system,then fix the landing craft and make that damn non extant gun.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #127 on: March 12, 2016, 10:03:34 pm »

We need to make something rocket related to get them techs going, so when we actually face the other side, we will have stuff like AA missiles ready.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 12, 2016, 10:06:06 pm »

All i have to say is thank the goddesses we have a few turns to prepare for the feds,and they wont like our little surprises

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 12, 2016, 10:08:55 pm »

Thats probably going to die horribly RAM.
Please do post an alternate model if you note any obvious faults. Or is there some specific fault that you would like me to try to address? At present we are facing resistance and something like that would hopefully be quite devastating against such things and also serve well when supported by ground forces. It is not designed to attack strategic targets... I do suspect that it would be too heavy, but it should be easy to remove such things if we do not object to wasting a revision on being greedy with the design... The flak gun is desirable for discouraging pursuit when engaged by aerial threats and should also prove to be useful when circling around a ground-target, so is not a indication of any intention to confront air targets. I admit that two heavy weapons is probably too much, but, meh, I am really unclear as to what we are supposed to be getting away with at this point...

I do love the submarine idea, hopefully we could field them in some capacity that can inhibit the Mals without instigating open warfare... It does seem a bit early to be honest, we want to claim territory quickly, and a surface vessel(or naval bomber) would likely be better suited to supporting our troop movements, but the submarine suits my personal interests so I am voting for it, for now...

And yeah, I would tend towards maintaining the current naming scheme of NG-<two letter abbreviation of role><two-digit abbreviation of year> to keep everything obvious, but meh, long live freedom, down with censorship, rah rah rah and all that. Still, if you want inconsistent designation, why join team metric?

Spoiler: A shotgun (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: A buggy (click to show/hide)
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 12, 2016, 10:14:16 pm »

I do love the submarine idea.
I don't know why but i am so happy from people liking my idea.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 13, 2016, 06:44:28 pm »

Also in terms of design names i like to think im a freelance designer hired by the Republic of New Guinea and not an actual citizen,that's my excuse and im sticking to it.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 13, 2016, 07:33:15 pm »

That is fair, so long as you use metric.

And I reserve the right to change my vote, if a new design that meets my criteria comes up.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 13, 2016, 07:55:17 pm »

Changing it to metric now,though most ship cannons are ranked by inches.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 13, 2016, 08:02:39 pm »

Ram, the reason I am under the belief that your ground attack aircraft wont do well is, from the description, it appears to be a bit of a glass cannon, and will likely be extremely slow. Meanwhile, thanks to the size, mass, and retaliative scarcity of our radios(what are they, company level?), it will be of limited utility.
 While lack of speed can be a defense against quick opponents, our foe also has weapon systems that can hit it, the bumblebee. So, until we are in a situation where one of the above issues is corrected, I would rather have us design other systems.

Commenting on your other designs, the shotgun appears to me to have issues of its own, notably that it has a cylinder which lessens its power and slows potential reloads. The caliber also makes me itch slightly, but thats not really a major(or even a minor) concern.
 The buggy I have issues mostly just with its armament, which appears to be a totally new design in another totally new design.

Now, for my issues with the sub: Mostly the same issues I have with RAM's buggy. Designing a new weapon within a new design. Also, deck weapons are, at this timeframe, mostly obsolete. The lack of snorkel, radio, and similar equipment is also causing me issues.

Finally, nitpicking Funk's mobile AAA: Designing a new weapon in a new design. I also think that we could get a radar system designed in there, although that causes part of my brain to vibrate(and incidentally, brings me to my main issue with this system, that designing more new stuff at once does not have a drawback, atleast none that I can find.)

So, here goes with my suggestion: A variation on Funk's design.

Spoiler: NG-MAAA52 (click to show/hide)

-edit-

Joe, from what I can tell, more naval guns are listed by shell weight than diameter in inches, followed closely by metric measurements.

Of course, thats after skimming this list for roughly 120 seconds.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15