Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15

Author Topic: Republic of New Guinea Design Thread (8 Engineers)  (Read 16105 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Republic of New Guinea Design Thread (7 Engineers)
« Reply #75 on: March 09, 2016, 11:10:30 am »

Refining the ammo sounds fine, changing the caliber sounds silly at this point, since we would need to replace all the ammo for them.
 I would say just work on fixing the fire selector, throw in an extra rail or three in places that are actually useful, perhaps work on the ergonomics a bit.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 09, 2016, 12:20:36 pm »

Minor request: please do not use bullet points next time, or if you do, don't use so many sentence fragments.  It's a pain to convert things over to the standard description and there was one or two times I wasn't one hundred percent certain what was being said.

NG-IB51c "Cockle"
This small diesel-powered transport is sized to carry a single T-25, two dozen infantry, and week of supplies.  A Bumblebee turret is mounted atop the engine room and the walls are low enough that a T-25 tank can fire over them from within. Various tests display the collapsing ramps at the front for a medium tank and at the sides for infantry frequently seal poorly, letting water into the ship, or refuse to drop, preventing a swift exit for the infantry or the ability to exit at all in the case of the tank.  In front of each of the side-ramps is pair of semi-spherical compartment prepared against low caliber rounds.  Each mounts a single open-turret with a forward-facing shield and a pair of AS-1924 guns converted to be belt-fed and utilize a modified interrupter gear to alternate the fire of the two guns.  Underneath the craft are a half-dozen under-side sleds with a series of wedge-clamps that a second sled with matching grooves and a serrated wooden track underneath designed to go forwards easily but resist sliding backwards. The clamps are locked in place by a single locking-beam that is held in place by a pin accessible from the cabin. If the pin is released while the boat is under pressure to move backwards, then all the clamps will release and the upper-sled will slip free from the lower and allow the boat to slide into the water, leaving the lower sled behind. When not beached, the clamps can be applied, the beam reset, and the lower sleds thus reattached.  The locking-beam is quite weak and frequently breaks from the stress of when both the Bumblebee and the onboard tank fire off their weapons simultaneously, as well as when the tank attempts to exit the craft.
Target cost: 2 Ore, 2 Oil
Transport Capability: Two-dozen infantry packed like sardines and a tank living in luxury(or an additional tank's worth of infantry).
size: Very Small
type: Ship

New Tech: Waterproof Drop Ramps [5 Turn Expensive], Wedge-Clamp Sleds [5 Turn Expensive]
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 09, 2016, 12:37:33 pm »

Right, so, we want the wedgeclamp sleds fixed and the drop ramps fixed along with the rifle getting worked on, correct?
Highly Opinionated Fool

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 09, 2016, 12:43:24 pm »

indeed.
It seems we went above our target cost but not by much. we must have rolled decently.
the 2 new techs will make it rather expensive for a while, but it was unavoidable since both were needed. better start early.

my votes are:

revision 1
fix the existing problemswith the landing ship, bringing it up to design specs. Namely, we want to try to waterproof the drop ramp and strengthten the locking beam

revision 2
improve rifle. fix the select fire switch plus whatever else other people want to change

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #79 on: March 09, 2016, 12:44:15 pm »

Ye, use the revision on the boat to fix whatever problems and puting tacticool shit on fixing whatever problems the rifle has.

Things we can put on the rifle:
Bigger regular magazine (the description mentions that the one we use is "wide", which might mean it's double stacked, but if it's not we should make it as such) or something.
Collapsible stock or something, to make it more useful in CQB.
Suppresors, I think we can squeeze it into revision. The tech will be useful later on and we will get superior commando forces.
Enchanced iron sights.
And of course, bayonets, for those cool charges that will happen 40 years late.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 12:51:54 pm by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 09, 2016, 12:46:03 pm »

i  doesn't have many problems actually, besides a too hard select fire. maybe we could add a second tactical rail to attach future things.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 09, 2016, 02:14:29 pm »

Like one thats one the bottom, instead of just one on top.
Highly Opinionated Fool

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 09, 2016, 06:29:05 pm »

Could we try for a second trigger linked to an underslung attachment? We could later develop a 32 mm shotgun or grenade for mounting underneath... Building an actual weapon to mount there seems like too much for a mere revision, but could potential be a component of a design for an independent weapon?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 09, 2016, 07:12:34 pm »

I think it would be the job of the underslung item to attach and fire, but if it wants to use rails its the job of the main weapon to have rails.
 See: the GL design suggested this turn.

However, a second trigger that connects mechanically to another weapon that may or may not be there sounds like needless complexity and places to fail horribly.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #84 on: March 09, 2016, 07:37:33 pm »

Oooor we could revise something else. I mean, as proved by AK-47s and M1911s, you can improve a gun only so much before adding anything more is just tacticool accessories. The most useful thing I can think of adding is a suppressor, collapsible stock and bunch of rails to get a commando version for paratroopers or something.

Also, for future reference, we should make something utilizing rockets, as rocket and missile launchers are the easiest way to enchance infantry anti-everything, anti-tank or anti-air capabilities, and IFV anti-armour and anti-air, not to mention that it's about time they will start dominating air-to-air combat and air-to-surface warfare, not to mention rocket artillery or cruise and ballistic missiles. Hell, rockets are used even in torpedoes. We can also make gyrojets and then we are only 38000 steps from this...

Yep, I got a raging hardon for rockets and missiles and I want New Guinea to be the second country in space. ALSO I WANT SOMEONE TO RETRIEVE ME FROM UP HERE!
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 09, 2016, 08:25:10 pm »

The grenade launcher would probably help out some with rocket/missile launchers.

Gyrojets will probably have to wait until we are in a situation that really needs them though. Like space. In a number of decades.
Highly Opinionated Fool

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 09, 2016, 10:48:09 pm »

revision 1
fix the existing problemswith the landing ship, bringing it up to design specs. Namely, we want to try to waterproof the drop ramp and strengthten the locking beam
+1

revision 1revision 2
improve rifle. fix the select fire switch
Three-round burst
Collapsible stock or something, to make it more useful in CQB.
Suppresors, I think we can squeeze it into revision. The tech will be useful later on and we will get superior commando forces.
Enchanced iron sights.
+1
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 09, 2016, 10:53:46 pm »

If we do three round bursts, only as an option and not as a limiter between safe and that.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #88 on: March 10, 2016, 09:35:35 am »

The grenade launcher would probably help out some with rocket/missile launchers.
Except not reaaaallyyy, let's just face it, your grenade launcher would be only slightly (also way less cooler) more useful trinket than my gyrojets, we have more important stuff to spend designs on, which is ROCKET SCIENCE.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 10, 2016, 12:11:47 pm »

Actually a grenade launcher would be useful, since there's going to be a lot of beach landings and probably a few ship boardings, having the ability to launch and frag or smoke grenade would be incredibly useful.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15