Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15

Author Topic: Republic of New Guinea Design Thread (8 Engineers)  (Read 16118 times)

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
Re: Republic of New Guinea Design Thread (7 Engineers)
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2016, 01:50:08 pm »

But we have aircraft that use the AC-18. Couldn't we just take one of those and put them on the landing craft?
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2016, 02:00:24 pm »

meant to make it a ship, not familiar with this new design method.
would a small ship be able to carry the medium vehicle? they operate on different scales.

point taken on the cannon, although it is odd since we use it on other designs. I guess I can switch to a machinegun.

the range was due to uncertainty on my part. However, I must ask: is there any penalty on using 1 ore 1 il as target cost for anything? the way I understand your roll system, bad rolls increase resources needed, but there is no penalty associated with unrealistic targets, so setting target to implausible minimums would get optimum results?

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2016, 02:06:33 pm »

0 ore, 0 oil.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2016, 02:28:13 pm »

would a small ship be able to carry the medium vehicle? they operate on different scales.

Scales are different enough that the answer will be yes.  One minor thing I should note if you are making it a ship, though.  Rather than put 'platoon', have it be referenced as 1/X of a unit.  Mainly due to the fact that ship production has each represent a single one being produced, rather than enough to supply a single unit.  On the flip side, with the small and very small, a single unit can run multiple versions of those categories.

But we have aircraft that use the AC-18. Couldn't we just take one of those and put them on the landing craft?
point taken on the cannon, although it is odd since we use it on other designs. I guess I can switch to a machinegun.

It's use in other designs indicates mostly that I had forgotten to change something over.  Changed to a AS-1924.

the range was due to uncertainty on my part. However, I must ask: is there any penalty on using 1 ore 1 il as target cost for anything? the way I understand your roll system, bad rolls increase resources needed, but there is no penalty associated with unrealistic targets, so setting target to implausible minimums would get optimum results?

Target cost represents the cost the item would be if everything goes right.  It might be better worded as 'estimated cost' rather than 'target cost'.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2016, 02:44:31 pm »

modified type, cost, weapon.

I kept the infantry number generic, because there is no indication of the size of units.  How does an unit of infantry compare with a tank in terms of size and weight? it is hard to get an hard number without having an answer to that question. I was hoping you sort it out during design, but maybe we can sort it out now. how big is an unit? would 1/10 of an infantry unit fill a rowboat or a big transport?

and for a last thing: changing the name from target cost to estimated cost doesn't really change anything, since it is still picked by players and it is the base cost of the item. what stops us players from always writing the minimum possible number, since we don't have any set rules? and even assuming our best efforts to make a reasonable guess rather than being exploity, we are still going to end up with costs all over the place due to different opinion by different people on how much things should cost. I made a reasonable guess on the price, at 2 ore 2 oil. but I am not sure how this system is going to be balanced.

edit: I am going to bed. to whoever engineer has a better understanding of the rules, feel free to alter my design until it is acceptable by GM
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 03:12:10 pm by andrea »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2016, 04:08:00 pm »

Yah, things like cost, size, and the like really should be the task of the Gm to figure out. Else we get cheese.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2016, 04:36:18 pm »

Yah, things like cost, size, and the like really should be the task of the Gm to figure out. Else we get cheese.

If I find it unreasonable, I'll call it out and say to raise it a bit.  Unless that happens often, though, I'll be taking a laissez faire approach.

Looking things over again, your ship would more accurately fit within the Very Small category and would need some fair numbers to be truly effective.  In fact, you could double the capacity and keep within the same category, which would likely put things at 1/15 a unit being transported by each one (reduce the cost to 1 ore, 1 oil).  Going past that would put you into the small category, but you could carry more (up to 5 AT-25 tanks and 1/6 a unit)(2 ore, 2 oil).  Your choice.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2016, 04:47:27 pm »

I would go with the smaller version, atleast for now. We can always build larger ones in future, and smaller ones are less of a target. Frankly, the larger ones only really make sense to me if we are attacking in a place that has no ports anywhere.
Highly Opinionated Fool

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2016, 05:53:33 pm »

So Something Like this?
Spoiler: NG-IB51 (click to show/hide)
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2016, 06:17:37 pm »

So Something Like this?
Spoiler: NG-IB51 (click to show/hide)

That'll work.  I'll roll for it if people agree to it.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2016, 07:53:16 pm »

Wait, a "unit" of soldiers is one thousand, right? But yeah, large enough to carry a single medium tank, strong enough to travel between islands under its own power(but presumably require something larger to carry them over rough seas or through bad weather), equipped with a ramp for the tank to drive out of the boat and onto the shore, capable of beaching itself near enough to a beach for a tank or soldiers to exit with minimal difficulties(we are going to need some means of desalinating caterpillar tracks. For now we could probably get away with providing extra grease rations...), capable of being extricated from beaching to be reused(we should really look into disposable sleds, perhaps with some sort of serration to prevent the boat from being pushed out to sea when the tank drives out...). I could agree to that, although some sort of support weaponry to suppress the landing site would be nice. Although presumably the cargo could shoot, do check what the safe firing angles are to avoid capsizing from the recoil...

Of course, we could just go with some sort of flying tank-equivalent, it would have a briefer presence, but a few of them should provide cover until the tanks can land...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2016, 08:02:14 pm »

I have some plans I am working on for a helicopter that can work until turbines are invented, which could have a gunship variant.
Highly Opinionated Fool

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2016, 09:11:29 pm »

That small one looks good. Although since Zanzetkuken said we could double capacity and stay very small I think a second tank would be viable.  But maybe it is best not to have too many things on one of those.

Voting for that small ship.

Edit: however,  it will take at least 3 turns to be able to carry one whole unit on the Vdmall, but if we make a small one it might take only 2. Not sure if we are allowed multiple trips or if it is effective even on a partial unit landing. We will see attthe first combat report I guess.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 09:17:07 pm by andrea »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2016, 09:16:07 pm »

Being able to drop down both troops and vehicular support sounds good.
Highly Opinionated Fool

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2016, 09:20:30 pm »

If we could replace that 'or' with an 'and' in the description (regarding carrying infantryvor a tank)  and still stay very small, that would make a quite nice ship.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15