Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15

Author Topic: Republic of New Guinea Design Thread (8 Engineers)  (Read 16064 times)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Republic of New Guinea Design Thread
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2016, 02:16:51 am »

but assuming lack of support for that, I am going to +1 on kot support helicopter, to speed up things. Right now, with all this vast neutral territory, we need speed more than grenades. resources are king.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 02:02:20 pm by andrea »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2016, 03:54:25 am »

I would like to propose that nobody vote for their own stuff. It should serve to increase the vote pool and speed things up.

In that spirit, I vote for
NG-LS51
as the ability to include tanks in the initial stages of an assault would be quite desirable and seems to be a large hole in our current regime. Hopefully these could grant paratroopers a greatly improved ability to operate in the open and confront fortified positions. It is a bit mundane, but hopefully it has a good deal of longevity. I like the helicopter, but we can already move our infantry and it lacks the armour necessary to replace a tank. The grenade launcher would be lovely, it would be sure to enhance the shock value of our forces, but it seems too reliant on our forces getting into a position to use it and that doesn't seem like much of a guarantee right now.

Oh, I found an interesting depiction of ekranoplans. If we can justify such things, they seem like a rather pleasant thing to use for transporting tanks and such, but I am not entirely sure if we could justify it... I get the impression that from a strategic perspective, they probably operate like fantastically fast boats. Not much good in rough conditions, but extremely fast, much cheaper to operate than things that can actually 'fly' that could perform similarly, and a bit cheaper to build too. But not so cheap as boats that let water do most of the work...
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 04:10:25 am by RAM »
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2016, 05:18:50 am »

I would like to propose that nobody vote for their own stuff. It should serve to increase the vote pool and speed things up.
I agree. I'll make a point to follow that rule in the coming turns, and I encourage everyone else to do so too.

the ability to include tanks in the initial stages of an assault would be quite desirable and seems to be a large hole in our current regime. Hopefully these could grant paratroopers a greatly improved ability to operate in the open and confront fortified positions.
yes, that is the idea. It should be kept in mind that the geography of this arms race game is very different from the original for 2 reasons: water and neutral territory.

In the original game the 2 nations started bordering each other on 3 land fronts, meaning that fighting could begin immediately. armored warfare, rifles, machinegus  and all that were a priority because of that and that is why ships weren't researched: they were not needed. If you wanted territory, you could not afford to spend a turn on something you couldn't give to a soldier on the battlefield, not in the early turn.

But the situation now is of another kind. We share no borders, having to make all our fighting across water. Our combat ability depends , more than on slightly better equipment, on the ability to bring said equipment to the battlefield. Furthermore, we can't even afford to delay invasions for a few turns, due to the neutral territory. Territory is (potential) resources and whoever gets the most in the early will have an advantage.

That is why I support btter transport as our first project.

Vote NG-LS51 for 1951!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2016, 12:54:51 pm »

Yaknow, if all went well I was planning on proposing a transport next turn anyways. But at the moment, Im more worried about keeping our infantry able to fight effectively. Afterall, we dont have infinite amounts of troops and equipment to throw at the issue, and our infantry are the most underpowered aspect of our forces at this moment.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2016, 02:04:10 pm »

right now, the only way we have to deploy our infantry on foreign shores is parachutes. Unless we politely ask to dock our transport ships in their harbors, i guess. Point is, no way to deploy in numbers and no way to deploy support of any non hand-held kind. Personally, I think better logistics in this case would save more lives than better infanty weapons, by virtue of being able to apply all the force necessary, rather than sending our units in small groups in foreign land.

Besides, we also have 2 revisions, one of which we can't use on the landing ship. we could improve the rifle, or get good camouflage.

better infantry is not the highest priority, if we have no way to attack and the enemy has no way to attack us.

edit: so many typos... shouldn't type late at night.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2016, 02:21:48 pm »

We should improve the rifle nomatter what we do.
Highly Opinionated Fool

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2016, 02:32:27 pm »

I agree, I agree. cheap and safe, lets fix that switch.

still, at this early stage I feel we should be more concerned with our ability to deploy, rather than with what we can deploy.an adequate army deploying en masse with full support is able to achieve more than a good one sitting at home.

hm. we need more people on this side to build a consensus. Well, since me and RAM are doing this "not vote your own design" thing, what would you vote for, if you didn't vote your design? ( just asking an opinion right now, if you don't want to make a bolded vote about it)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2016, 02:39:04 pm »

The landing craft, if I had to vote for anything. I have toomany issues with the helicopter to vote for this iteration of it.
Highly Opinionated Fool

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2016, 09:48:52 pm »

The landing craft, if I had to vote for anything. I have toomany issues with the helicopter to vote for this iteration of it.

The landing craft is the way to go, a helicopter will be more use full once we gain land to use them effectively.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2016, 10:35:28 pm »

The landing craft is the way to go, a helicopter will be more use full once we gain land to use them effectively.
1+

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2016, 12:11:18 am »

oh, a couple new guys! just what we needed. Welcome!

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2016, 12:48:03 pm »

Multiaccounts. Ayyyy, hi there guys. Since everyone votes for the craft, I'll vote for the craft too which, I belive, means we're getting some boats this turn.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2016, 01:20:04 pm »

Theres still a pair of votes for the GL (or a singleton if we arent allowed to vote for our own things, in which case theres one abstaining vote unless we have to vote for something), but theres like... five votes for the landing craft even before Kot switched.

So landing craft us up yo!
Highly Opinionated Fool

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Republic of New Guinea Design Thread (7 Engineers)
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2016, 01:42:45 pm »

By the way, anyone has a good idea for target cost? The quantity I used is half that of a transport ship, but not sure how it scales. Is there even any reason to ever put anything above 1/1?

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Republic of New Guinea Design Thread (7 Engineers)
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2016, 01:46:38 pm »

Looking at the transport, you have a few errors that need to be corrected.  First, I do not want ranges within the target cost.  If you roll a perfect, I do not know which would apply.  Second, the T25 is a medium vehicle, and you are attempting to transport that vehicle with a small vehicle.  Can you see a slight problem there?  Third, you don't have the AC-18, you have the Bumblebee (another medium class vehicle...).

By the way, anyone has a good idea for target cost? The quantity I used is half that of a transport ship, but not sure how it scales. Is there even any reason to ever put anything above 1/1?

As a vehicle, the cost would be producing enough to equip a whole unit.  Ship costs are for how much it would cost to produce number that is at the expense level of the ship class.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15