Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15

Author Topic: Republic of New Guinea Design Thread (8 Engineers)  (Read 16026 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: Republic of New Guinea Design Thread (8 Engineers)
« Reply #180 on: March 16, 2016, 10:53:48 am »

My problem with the attack aircraft would be that it's going to be obsolete very soon, they have got jet engines and it's a matter of time until they put one in a fighter, which will result in us losing all the planes in very short time, unless we mothball them or something, but that's useless.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 16, 2016, 11:47:35 am »

Depends on how good/bad their hypothetical fighter is. And how they try to fight.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 16, 2016, 12:46:49 pm »

Lets just make something and fix the stuff that needs to be fixed okay?
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 16, 2016, 01:02:27 pm »

The NG-MAAA52 seems to have opinino starting to shift its way, so I'll probably roll for that unless something changes.  One minor question, though.  What is it you mean by 'electronic traverse'?  I can't get any clear answer when looking up to find what exactly you mean with that.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 16, 2016, 03:33:52 pm »

Turret is rotated by electric motors, mentioned because it was a bit of a big thing with tanks and the bumblebee does not appear to have it.

Which is a bit odd.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 16, 2016, 05:22:49 pm »

Warning.  The chosen design will have 3 new technologies (Autoloading Systems, Indirect Fire Targeting Systems, and Radio Detection and Range Finding Systems) and be at minimum 5 resources short.  This will put it into the Theoretical state.  Do you wish to continue or remove one (or more) pieces of technology?
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 16, 2016, 05:33:02 pm »

We dont have range finding yet? Thats... Odd. Also I would think that the autoloading would be realitivly simple...

Also, the rangefinding and radio detection would be more or less one thing...

Is it possible to create two versions at once, one without the protoradar and the other as listed?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 05:35:11 pm by Aseaheru »
Highly Opinionated Fool

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 16, 2016, 05:57:56 pm »

We dont have range finding yet? Thats... Odd.

Also I would think that the autoloading would be realitivly simple...

Also, the rangefinding and radio detection would be more or less one thing...

You do not have radio-based range finding.

While it may be considered simple, it is still a new technology and as such has the same rules apply to it.

The radio detection and range finding systems is one tech, not 2.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 16, 2016, 06:55:56 pm »

Okay i say we just make the MAAAaaaaa and then fix the landing ship and make that gun a reality.
Like i said,we should use RAM's attack craft and then fix the landing ship and make the gun of fun real.
Yay! I won the hearts and minds of the see-saw vote! Now what to do with them... Oh! I know! I have the perfect design for next year. I just need some lightning rods and to hold auditions to see who can cry "It's alive!" most convincingly. Our troop shortage will be a thing of the past!

May aswell try getting turboprops and radar on it if we are going with something like that. Atleast then it can see whats coming to kill it.
Good ideas! I would be glad to have those added to it! If you would vote for it with radar and turboprops then please state as much! Or even come up with your own version...

My problem with the attack aircraft would be that it's going to be obsolete very soon, they have got jet engines and it's a matter of time until they put one in a fighter, which will result in us losing all the planes in very short time, unless we mothball them or something, but that's useless.
But really, something similar in function to the A-10 "Warthog" thunderbolt II would really help us out right now and those basically have all of the same problems and don't get wiped out. It is about how you use it. It is not a fighter, it doesn't confront fighters, it doesn't loiter at high altitudes where fighters are. It stays close to the ground where fighters can't manoeuvre freely and near to ground-based air defences which fighters are not equipped to deal with. And for the moment it is not completely obsolete and will keep the current generation of air power at bay so long as it has superior numbers to its credit, which should be the situation given that we are fighting unaligned nations. This is not something that needs to be mothballed in the near future, it just needs to be relegated to a support role while dedicated fighters keep their air-power from just ignoring our borders. It will need to have some sort of resistance to guided missiles, but that applies to everything, and if they specifically make an air-to-air missile that only works against slow-moving targets, then that is probably a win, I mean, bad for helicopters, but still... The simple fact is that aircraft with similar limitations are in use today...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #189 on: March 16, 2016, 07:08:48 pm »

But really, something similar in function to the A-10 "Warthog" thunderbolt II would really help us out right now and those basically have all of the same problems and don't get wiped out. It is about how you use it. It is not a fighter, it doesn't confront fighters, it doesn't loiter at high altitudes where fighters are. It stays close to the ground where fighters can't manoeuvre freely and near to ground-based air defences which fighters are not equipped to deal with. And for the moment it is not completely obsolete and will keep the current generation of air power at bay so long as it has superior numbers to its credit, which should be the situation given that we are fighting unaligned nations. This is not something that needs to be mothballed in the near future, it just needs to be relegated to a support role while dedicated fighters keep their air-power from just ignoring our borders. It will need to have some sort of resistance to guided missiles, but that applies to everything, and if they specifically make an air-to-air missile that only works against slow-moving targets, then that is probably a win, I mean, bad for helicopters, but still... The simple fact is that aircraft with similar limitations are in use today...
There are a few major differences.
A-10 is actually a plane built around the gun. The gun in question being GAU-8/A Avenger, which is REDICULOUS gun. Next, it has things like titanium armoured bathtube that protects the pilot, most systems are reduntant (and sometimes the redundancies have redundancies), jet engines (!), a lot of electronics and is basically fucking awesome and perfect... and it rarely faces enemy with actual capabilities to combat it on even "ground" and all of those things combine to make the A-10 actually fucking useful.
Not to mention that what you're proposing is basically a bastard child between Hs.129 (Anti-tank cannon?) and someting (Flak turrets? Wait, isin't our flak like FUCKING 9CM?) else that has three engines. It would struggle to compete against current designs which are pre-WWII, it was obsolete before you even came up with the idea for it, not to mention that is an horrible design. The only good part is that you want to put rockets on it, which involves making rockets, but I'd rather make rockets and mount them on other planes than make a new one that's complete and utter shit to utilize them.

Eh, I just have a feeling that either we are very stupid or we are getting fucked over for some reason.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 16, 2016, 07:13:44 pm »

Fair enough Zan. Is it possible to do a variant at the same time without the radar?
Highly Opinionated Fool

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 16, 2016, 11:59:06 pm »

More like a cross between the A-10 and AC-130  ground attack aircraft except built out of what we have(light-weight W.W.II-era) and able to shoot up because flak guns are still relevant against aircraft. Obviously it isn't an A-10, but A: an A-10 would be boring, this is about fictional warfare("build a plane around a gun" was vetoed as soon as it came up), B: We don't have anything near to the required technology yet, and C: we have massive holes in our forces so we need to be a bit more versatile.

It uses our current primary antitank weapon, it just so happens that our current technology isn't even late world war two so our best is still embarrassing.

So if I specifically mention large amounts of titanium going into it, jet engines, and aerial radar, to get it nicely up to "we will build it someday" territory, would that get your vote? I do realise that I should make it four-engine, but ugh the price... And redundancy? It already has a fair bit, I guess I should make a specific note of extra redundancy, but, ehh, I was trying to be brief and coherent(not my strengths) after the last design...

If anyone else wants to design something that can help us quickly clean up the last pockets of resistance and can also perform exciting displays for the public to address our previous issues, or can present a compelling description of next-year's issues, then I am all ears. But so far all I see is "the people we are nt fighting yet have aircraft" and "we could rush into the war right now instead of waiting". I lean towards the latter, as the former requires both the war to start and the enemy aircraft to have the effective range to bother us. Given that voting for myself would result in a terrible system where we pretty much lose everyone who has proposals from the voting pool, all I am left with is voting for the submarine and an early bit of logistical harassment.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 17, 2016, 01:03:39 am »

Fair enough Zan. Is it possible to do a variant at the same time without the radar?

Do you mean go through with the design then make a revision to remove the radar or something else?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 17, 2016, 02:54:04 am »

Like design the vehicle, and then at the same time make a version thats missing its radar systems. Same action.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 17, 2016, 12:28:11 pm »

Like design the vehicle, and then at the same time make a version thats missing its radar systems. Same action.

That would require two actions.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15