Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15

Author Topic: Federation of Malaysia Design Bureau Thread (5 Engineers)  (Read 13210 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Federation of Malaysia Design Bureau Thread (5 Engineers)
« Reply #120 on: March 12, 2016, 10:27:25 am »

Pigeon Helicopter
A light, single rotor helicopter capable to carry pilot and 3-5 passengers or ~300 to 400kg of cargo. Its roles are liaison, recon, supply, medical evacuation and small scale landings behind enemy lines

[Vehicle, general (meant to be used by every infantry unit), small, 2 ore, 2 oil, new tech expected: helicopters] ]

Rewrote the proposal. I am considering to add a Sorraria but... I think this is not a right kind of helicopter to provide support because most of its work will be behind enemy lines.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 04:52:42 am by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 12, 2016, 11:06:38 am »

Pigeon Helicopter
A light, single rotor helicopter capable to carry pilot and 3-5 passengers or ~300 to 400kg of cargo. Its roles are liaison, recon, supply, medical evacuation and small scale landings behind enemy lines

[Vehicle, general (meant to be used by every infantry unit), (if we can fit 3 passengers in very small, than very small, else 5 passengers and small), 2 ore, 2 oil, new tech expected: helicopters] ]

Rewrote the proposal. I am considering to add a Sorraria but... I think this is not a right kind of helicopter to provide support because most of its work will be behind enemy lines.
+1 to this
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Dansmithers

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TUNNEL_SNAKES:RULE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 12, 2016, 11:31:37 am »

+1 to FLYEHNG MEHTEL BAWKSES

Also, is it common to not look at revisions until we decide on the design?
Siggy Siggy Hole!

Well, let's say you're going away from Earth on huge spaceship and suddenly shit goes wrong and you have Super Mutants. Social Experiments prepared them for this.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 12, 2016, 12:22:50 pm »

Yep, mostly because it depends on what kind of design we will get.
Your revision is rather interesting, especially if we will need to defeat some fortified enemy but my priorities are different: Yellowjacket III, upgraded T2 breaker, radar guided Bumblebee, cheaper and helicopter adapted troop carriers, maybe even ground attack variant of Pigeon
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 12, 2016, 12:45:05 pm »

Pigeon Helicopter

[Vehicle, general (meant to be used by every infantry unit), (if we can fit 3 passengers in very small, than very small, else 5 passengers and small), 2 ore, 2 oil, new tech expected: helicopters] ]

+1 to this
Another +1.

We're also still using gigantic 30 year old backpack radios too. We can probably miniaturize those significantly and still improve their capabilities.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 12, 2016, 01:29:51 pm »

(if we can fit 3 passengers in very small, than very small, else 5 passengers and small)

Very Small tends to be stuff the size of motorbikes and small has stuff that is roughly as large as a Jeep and the Bell X1, just to give you an idea of size.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 12, 2016, 01:51:39 pm »

So what you're saying is that for something like a UH-1(which is basically what UR is proposing) it'd be more medium than small?
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 12, 2016, 02:02:52 pm »

(if we can fit 3 passengers in very small, than very small, else 5 passengers and small)

Very Small tends to be stuff the size of motorbikes and small has stuff that is roughly as large as a Jeep and the Bell X1, just to give you an idea of size.

Hmmmmm. Jeep (the WW2 one)  is roughly one ton, Bell X1 is 3 ton. Jeep is 3.3*1.6*1.8* meters, X1 is 9.5*7*3.3 meters

What is a threshold for a very small in weight or dimensions? And when stuff becomes medium?

So what you're saying is that for something like a UH-1 it'd be more medium than small?(which is basically what UR is proposing)
I am not proposing UH-1 clone.

UH-1 can carry: "Crew: 1–4
Capacity: 3,880 lb (1,760 kg) including 14 troops, or 6 stretchers, or equivalent cargo"
It weights 2.3 tons.  And it is 17.5*4*3 meters.

I am offering something at least two times smaller. More or less slightly larger version of that - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brantly_B-2 that allows 3 passengers instead of 1

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 12, 2016, 02:20:40 pm »

ummm, I think you are underestimating the size needed to carry at least a modicum of passengers. That seems waaaaay to small for what we want in a general light utility helo

Edit:of course, we don't need to make it EXACTLY the size of a Huey, about 2/3s to 3/4ths ofd a Huey will do perfectly for what we need.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 02:33:41 pm by tryrar »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 12, 2016, 03:05:16 pm »

Actually, instead of making it a transport helicopter why don't we make it a gunship? We need to start somewhere to develop rockets and I can't think of a better unit to try it out on. Wouldn't necessarily need to remove the transport capacity either.

That being said though, I want both helicopters and hovercraft before building an amphibious assault ship. That'll massively multiply our marine units ability to storm the beaches.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 12, 2016, 04:11:58 pm »

Let's try this then:

Cardinal Assault Helicopter. A mid/small helicopter outfitted with a chin-mounted Sorraia turret, twin door-mounted Sorraias, and a pair of stub pylons loaded with two pairs of 12 shot 70mm rocket pods. Expected crew would be pilot, copilot, and 3 passengers acting as door gunners.

vehicle, general, 2 ore, 2 oil, new tech: rocket pods, helicopter

Lasher 70mm rockets. lightweight general-utility high explosive rockets meant to take out light armored units and infantry groups. Cheap, but fairly inaccurate and meant to be fired in barrages.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 12, 2016, 04:20:31 pm »

What is a threshold for a very small in weight or dimensions? And when stuff becomes medium?

I don't have specific numbers for either of these.  What I listed is to give a rough idea as to how large designs within each category is.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Dansmithers

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TUNNEL_SNAKES:RULE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 12, 2016, 04:23:13 pm »

Let's try this then:

Cardinal Assault Helicopter. A mid/small helicopter outfitted with a chin-mounted Sorraia turret, twin door-mounted Sorraias, and a pair of stub pylons loaded with two pairs of 12 shot 70mm rocket pods. Expected crew would be pilot, copilot, and 3 passengers acting as door gunners.

vehicle, general, 2 ore, 2 oil, new tech: rocket pods, helicopter

Lasher 70mm rockets. lightweight general-utility high explosive rockets meant to take out light armored units and infantry groups. Cheap, but fairly inaccurate and meant to be fired in barrages.

It would certainly divert the enemy's resources towards countering it.Take a +1.
Siggy Siggy Hole!

Well, let's say you're going away from Earth on huge spaceship and suddenly shit goes wrong and you have Super Mutants. Social Experiments prepared them for this.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 12, 2016, 11:42:34 pm »

First - I doubt that it fits general role. It is a specialized vehicle. Else we can make Breakers, Yellowjackets and Bolts general and enjoy reduced cost
Second - 2 ore\2 oil is trying to get unrealistic cost for obiously medium helicopter with rockets (rockets=chemicals). Why I think so? Because meduim truck is 3 ore\2 oil. Truck uses cheap steel instead of alluminium and helicopter engine is way more fuel hungry. 3 ore, 3 oil, 1 chemicals is minimum I dare to propose for such helicopter
Third - Sorraria turret may be new technology (if improved iron sights are then...)
Fourth - Such complex Helicopter like this is good for our second helicopter design, when we will have experience. I do have a plans of either ground attack or large (chinook like) helicopter

ummm, I think you are underestimating the size needed to carry at least a modicum of passengers. That seems waaaaay to small for what we want in a general light utility helo

I think you want way to much from our first helicopter. Carrying more passengers is more or less - larger cabin and more powerful motor. B2 can carry 300kg including pilot, thats two passengers. I want *1.5 larger than that

In fact I wrote everything in discription - Pegion is a helicopter for bringing essential and urgent supplies, medical evacuation, recon and small scale landings (Spec ops and stuff)

Browsed for equialent and the most looks like helicopter is actually this - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mil_Mi-1
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 11:44:54 pm by Ukrainian Ranger »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 12, 2016, 11:44:47 pm »

Yeah, merely adding the stub pylons for the rockets would be enough. But I doubt the supplies it can bring would be an improvement over what the bengal can carry, given that the bengal is optimised for off-road duty.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15