Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: how do i download this game??? is it free?  (Read 7586 times)

infinitenoah

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
how do i download this game??? is it free?
« on: March 03, 2016, 05:28:37 am »

I was wondering where and how do I download this game? i tried downloading it on the page, but it wouldn't for some reason. and is this game 100% free? thanks in advance.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: how do i download this game??? is it free?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 05:32:40 am »

Yes, the game is completely free, although donations are welcomed.
You can get the download on the main page: http://bay12games.com/dwarves/

Click on one of the blue links after SDL (below the big yellow letters saying DOWNLOAD DWARF FORTRESS 0.42.06 (FEBRUARI 10, 2016), depending on what operating system you use.
This will give you the game in a compressed file. Use any archiver to extract it to where you want it, and it's ready to play.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 05:34:41 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MrReks

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 05:41:03 am »

It's a good game. You should play it

infinitenoah

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 05:51:43 am »

okay.....i have downloaded the game and created a world, the only problem now is that i am completely lost on what to do. any tips?

Innocent Dave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 06:08:51 am »

The DF Wiki is the best source of advice and guides, particularly the Fortress Mode and Adventure Mode Quickstart Guides :
Reaching one's life goal shouldn't come with a happy thought.  It should come with a sudden existential crisis.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 06:12:53 am »

okay.....i have downloaded the game and created a world, the only problem now is that i am completely lost on what to do. any tips?

The wiki quick start page InnocentDave gave you is very good :)
You could also watch a tutorial on youtube. They're a good way to get into the game, but don't watch them for too long, they tend to become less usefull at the end. (Maybe somebody knows a good one, I'm french, so I don't, but I could look it up for you if you really want)
- Start by watching it, and playing at the same time, doing the same things, and getting used to the graphics / ui.
- Repeat the step above until you are confortable enough with the game basics (getting below ground, getting food, drinks, bedrooms and what not).
- Then, when you know what's going on well, you can start reading the wiki page : http://dwarffortresswiki.org/  and learning things by yourself.

Don't get depressed if it's too hard and you feel like you're not learning.
I learned the game by playing like a mad man for two weeks straight. Learned a lot, but also died a lot.
Then I got disgusted, stopped playing. Played it again months later, learned more things.
I basically did this stop-play-learn for like a year, learning things every time (like quality modifiers, using the manager and stuff).

Have FUN ;)
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 06:37:23 am »

Don't get depressed if it's too hard and you feel like you're not learning.
I learned the game by playing like a mad man for two weeks straight. Learned a lot, but also died a lot.
Then I got disgusted, stopped playing. Played it again months later, learned more things.
I basically did this stop-play-learn for like a year, learning things every time (like quality modifiers, using the manager and stuff).

Hah. I came across DF and started playing the first version with z-levels, tried to follow the guide that was available at the time until I got to the "dig a well" part, flooded the fortress while diverting a river, raged about the absence of user interface, savegames and graphics designed for human beings and dropped it for a while.
Then came back after reading more stories and discussions, this time back 2d version, and played it almost a year before switching to 3d at 40d release. One might be surprised that last 2d version had more features, such as required supports for ceilings in larger rooms and noble variety, and stable while 3d versions were bugged as hell.

infinitenoah

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 07:59:23 am »

question: What is the difference between channeling and digging? and what is a "Z-Level"?

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 08:02:29 am »

I think now should be about the time someone posts

like others have said, DF is one of the most complex games ever created. Play, Fail, Play More ;)

achamalacha

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi there, you might know me from other tags like..
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 09:02:23 am »

Maybe worth mentioning are the various DF distributions which basically providing (convenience) patches, utilities and pre configured tilesets all out of the box. See the wiki for details.

Also, have fun striking the earth!

« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 09:05:07 am by achamalacha »

Redman the Communist

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:LIGHT] [SPHERE:HEALING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2016, 09:40:20 am »

question: What is the difference between channeling and digging? and what is a "Z-Level"?

Digging is just simply removing the ground you designated, while channeling removes the ground you disignated (unless you designated air) and anything below the designation, which lets you direct liquids easily, and dig directly downwards without stairs. And Z-levels are the game's measurement of height, and there's a wiki page on this: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Z-axis

And good luck with your fortresses, Battle Brother! And remember, the solution to everything is to pour magma on it. ;D
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 10:15:34 am by Redman the Communist »
A light cannot fade by darkness
it will shine even in the darkest corners of the world.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2016, 09:41:09 am »

All of this is in the wiki. Though I remember having some trouble with understanding channeling...

If the X axis looks north, and the Y axis looks east, then Z axis looks up into the stars.

Digging is moving laterally underground, as if you were digging a tunnel.

Channeling is digging laterally and down, as if digging a ditch.

Seriously, go search the wiki. It's all there. Specifically, read this: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Quickstart_guide

And have fun!

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2016, 09:44:02 am »

good luck, it took me 10 forts and 3 real months to figure out how to farm and make booze
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

dwarobaki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2016, 09:48:53 am »

Dig & channel :)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2016, 10:22:46 am »

They tricked you into downloading the basic version.

As a new player, you'll probably want to get the LNP that includes graphics and useful tools.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.
Pages: [1] 2 3