Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which Era?

EA
MA
LA

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 27

Author Topic: Dominions 4 Round 20 Back to Vanilla. The Games are over. ThtblovesDF wins!  (Read 35500 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round 20 Back to Vanilla. The Games are on!
« Reply #345 on: May 11, 2016, 10:00:05 am »

Well, chaoticag, you did the one thing that would provoke me into dispelling Burden of Time.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: May 11, 2016, 10:15:26 am »

Out of 25 Commanders in a province, Vengeful Waters attacked the 3 Thugs :/ - Vanrus certainly is having a comeback and might even take marigons former capital back : /
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 11:20:27 am by ThtblovesDF »

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: May 11, 2016, 02:14:18 pm »

Well, chaoticag, you did the one thing that would provoke me into dispelling Burden of Time.
Please, go ahead and toss more gems into this.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: May 11, 2016, 02:39:17 pm »

Having punched a giant hole in the covering force blocking its northern army from moving, Vanarus is now preparing to liberate its provinces surrounding the capital in preparation for a last stand.  That includes certain opportunistic sorts who decided that this war would be a great chance to snag a free province or two. 

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: May 11, 2016, 02:44:03 pm »

Not that I would stop you from making a mistake, but ulm didn't really attack you, it was the enchanted-forests global that spawns armys/attacks.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: May 11, 2016, 03:00:48 pm »

Then they won't mind if I happen to move into that province.  You might, but that's obviously another story. ^_^

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: May 12, 2016, 02:48:25 am »

Forgive the slow turn, I was waiting for messages that just didn't show up yet.

So is the order of armys moving set (i.e. Vanrus always seems to move before me) or randrom each turn?

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: May 12, 2016, 03:06:39 am »

I'm not sure how well you know movement so I'm going explain assuming 0:

Moves into friendly provinces happen,
Then moves into non-friendly provinces happen,
Then resulting fights are resolved

I've read (and we all know how fuzzy hard data on Dominions is) that if two armies are moving at each other, one of them sits while other attacks. This is random but larger armies are more likely to attack successfully. Apparently there's also a chance the armies will both move (ie. no battle), which is more likely when they are small.

edit:
In plain terms, you can't ever catch an enemy army by moving onto its space if it is also moving.
edit2:
Ritual based movements and fights happen earlier, so it is possible to teleport something on top of an enemy before they get the chance to move away.
If you don't know it already, page 80 of the manual has a really handy turn resolution sequence:
http://www.illwinter.com/dom4/manual_dom4.pdf
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 03:10:24 am by Delta Foxtrot »

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: May 12, 2016, 03:32:14 am »

I knew most of that - thing is both me and Vanrus are nearly always moving into enemy territory - me hunting his army, him moving away from my army and running over the war-torne lands of his former nation, so it's a silly game of chicken where I can't possibly catch up unless I "speed" around him at some junction, somehow.

Like so:
O1 = Army
V = Vanrus Army
O2 = Some province I own

[O1] -> [V] -> [O2]

O1 moves to attack [V], [V] moves to O2, so next turn we have the same state, again, except shifted one and me more annoyed.

[O2] -> [O1] -> [V]  -> (another O2)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 03:40:02 am by ThtblovesDF »

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: May 12, 2016, 03:48:43 am »

Rituals are great if you can do anything on that front. Otherwise you'll need fast and/or multiple armies. Pangaea is one of my favourites partly because if anyone starts attacking my lands, I can just use my strong MM3 troops to intercept them. No idea if your sea centaurs are as badass. But if you can't catch him then fair enough. Trade province for province to buy time and kill his forts. That ought to do it.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: May 12, 2016, 04:10:19 am »

Aye - centaurs are badass - and expensive. At least his capital doesn't move ; )

On another note, thanks to Burden of Time, my sirens are now old (80)+ - but there sexyness for luring people to there death still remains, which is oddly entertaining.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: May 12, 2016, 06:38:11 am »

To be perfectly honest, maybe in the last 6 months, standards of beauty have changed since everyone else aged too. That or they're still screaming about it.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: May 13, 2016, 03:25:59 am »

Lovly thought.

The Army of mixed critters and picked up charm'd troops is on the front door or the Capital, 2 provinces away and vanrus has all its eggs in one basket - only thing I wonder is if he will split his army to safe the earth king or put a decent fight in the capital instead? We'll see!

Edit: If Vanrus had done a double turn, we would have a turn like 4 hours after the last - impressive.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 08:27:52 am by ThtblovesDF »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: May 13, 2016, 09:39:03 am »

It wasn't waiting for Vanarus, it was waiting for me. :P
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: May 13, 2016, 12:35:13 pm »

Well, we're pretty close to blitzing this as is. I think we're good.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 27