Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which Era?

EA
MA
LA

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 27

Author Topic: Dominions 4 Round 20 Back to Vanilla. The Games are over. ThtblovesDF wins!  (Read 35541 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round 20 Back to Vanilla. The Games are on!
« Reply #270 on: April 25, 2016, 10:00:34 am »

New turn rolls around, one gone. So except for Chaoticag everyone now holds at least one (in some cases 2) extra capital provinces. Ulm sure has a good amount of death income - about as useful as my fire-gem income, I assume? I hate how akward my empire is, with just one thin line of territory all over the world, turning me into a global-no-mans-land. Fish land. Will we start into a cold war now?
Unless something very surprising happened with the siege of Shinuyama, I don't believe Vanarus fully holds two capitals, either.  I won't be able to check for a few hours, though.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: April 25, 2016, 10:14:50 am »

I'm still clinging, but you really could just storm it now. Less than twenty troops inside. Less than five who aren't diseased. Most of my shapeshifting mages have shifted into -paths +hp form just to stay alive.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: April 25, 2016, 10:50:37 am »

Ulm sure has a good amount of death income - about as useful as my fire-gem income, I assume?

This is news to me! I was just thinking it was really low, and C'tis must not have bothered to do any site-searching for death, and was somehow getting by on just the 2 death gems from their capital...
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: April 25, 2016, 11:43:26 am »

Oh I somehow thought they would produce far more. Marigon did even less site searching, capital only income, too. Eh.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: April 25, 2016, 12:53:55 pm »

Yeaaaah. Though since this is a beginners game I think it's expected that some players would not have even thought of it.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: April 25, 2016, 01:32:48 pm »

Marignon player did remark their lack of knowledge as far as research is concerned. It's easy to imagine they ignored searching as well. Or they got plain unlucky. Mari mainly searches for fire and it's possible there's none in their lands. Especially if we played with default MA site frequency. I prefer EA frequency myself. A bit more gems to go around and bit more fun magic shenanigans as a result.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: April 25, 2016, 01:54:52 pm »

There was also a possibility of astral for Marignon, maybe even air. Though yeah, seemed super basic knowledge of the game, but also a lot of potential seeing their tactics. A bless strategy carried them through backed with heavy crossbow recruitment. Though, well, undone by research.

I'll also have to say maybe for the next game I run whenever that would be we can use EA frequency and faster research. I figured the slower research would help newer players weight their options with each level better, but seems most walked in reading at least a guide somewhere. C'tis had skelespamming up, Mari focused on a bless and crowssbows, Ulm did what Ulm does best and seems to have gone with scales and rushing for magma eruption, Oceana did it's Oceana thing, I think. I am not sure about Vanarus, but seems as though whatever they're doing is working. And I'll leave people to guess what I'd been up to, but Elephant expansion worked.

That being said we're heading to a point where a lot of older strategies are going to fall apart. This should be interesting.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: April 26, 2016, 02:26:09 am »

Oceana did it's Oceana thing

Honestly I didn't even find a guide, so far I build my trample-dudes and... put them in peoples face. Light water-damage-spell-spam ontop and that was enough so far, since the water-stuff allows me to pick my battles very carefully. Then I killed 1/6th of all my casters with transformation (and bad luck), so there is that. Since I'm so very heavly in green (at least the guys that can leave the water [!]), I lack any spell that just straight up bombs someone out of the water and my scout network tells me that there are all kinds of naughty things flying around, especially those iron-darts and lighting bolts & Earthquakes.

Edit:

C'tis                 Waiting for 2h file
Marignon           Waiting for 2h file

Wait, isn't one of those already eliminated?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 03:52:14 am by ThtblovesDF »

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 26, 2016, 05:35:24 am »

If it sends out a turn file it waits for a 2h file. You're still active on the last turn you have despite losing. Same thing happened with asphodel. If Marignon was also eliminated this round I'd have force hosted, though I doubt there is much that can be done with just 2 non-fort provinces.

Also, let's talk a bit of etiquette.... These things do drag the game a bit since we're waiting for people that may not show, so anyone that's thrown in the towel at least swap to AI to avoid this. It's just good manners especially for a multiplayer game. It only takes five minutes and helps the rest of us out. Alternatively if you want to continue receiving turn files, stale your turns and turn them in.

Alright, one more 6 hour delay, although I will possibly be asleep when hosting happens at this point. Either way, likely the last delay for this from those ends.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 12:16:52 pm by chaoticag »

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: April 27, 2016, 02:43:43 am »

So thats 5 scouts killed in the last turn and this, why are ya'll so curious about my stuff, eh?

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: April 27, 2016, 03:29:53 pm »

How long till Marignon officially dies off?

They've staled the last three turns so if they're going to cling to life a few more turns I could switch them AI. Should cut a few hours off of the current turn to turn cycle. Or you know, anyone could. I'm probably asleep when Chaoticag sees this and I reckon Mari doesn't have too much in the way of super secret info that would benefit Arcoscephale. I know I'm dead as soon as Vanarus feels like it so I assure you that's not a concern either.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 03:31:36 pm by Delta Foxtrot »

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: April 27, 2016, 03:31:58 pm »

Next turn they are off the list. They are unofficially dead now, their turn is effectively a you lose screen. I've been sitting over the game page more or less to force a host when vanarus turns in their turn.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: April 27, 2016, 04:26:17 pm »

Yeah Vanrus was testing defences this turn with a single commander - thats certainly a pro-thing I have to keep in mind, great way to not be suprised by whats behind the castle-walls.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: April 27, 2016, 04:38:57 pm »

It's a decent enough trick, but there's a few issues with it. It's telegraphing which castles need more defenses, and while the data is accurate, you need to have a way to respond to things fast to make the most out of it. An astral pretender could use that to ferry troops into a fortress through Gateway to deal with it for example, or an SC can drop on that province with cloud trapeze or teleport. It's not a terrible choice, and it has it's uses, but it seems best used when at war or against tough indie provinces.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: April 27, 2016, 05:12:58 pm »

In this case, it was a scout looking into Shinuyama's fort after it was breached, I believe. (I didn't watch the battle because it probably was just the scout retreating immediately)

I haven't done it to forts like that before, but it's good for finding out the exact composition of armies which aren't in forts.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 27