Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which Era?

EA
MA
LA

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 27

Author Topic: Dominions 4 Round 20 Back to Vanilla. The Games are over. ThtblovesDF wins!  (Read 35557 times)

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round 20 Back to Vanilla. The Games are on!
« Reply #150 on: March 21, 2016, 04:42:11 pm »

I have been painfully reminded of the importance of a research plan. Troops are fine and dandy against indies but you really need some extra oomph for PVP.

Hatman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 21, 2016, 05:46:48 pm »

Regarding sieges, 9 base morale is starting to hurt. But I have lizard kings, summons, longdead et cetera, so it shouldn't continue to hurt for much longer.
Regarding research plans, they win games. So I've already dropped part of mine over an exciting indy mage. Can't wait to reap the results of that brilliant scheme.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 21, 2016, 06:16:53 pm »

Editing Indy mages can win games too, you just need a new plan.  :P
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 22, 2016, 04:48:04 am »

I have been painfully reminded of the importance of a research plan. Troops are fine and dandy against indies but you really need some extra oomph for PVP.
Yup. Seeing as you're already hit the mainstay of C'tis you need to figure what shinuyama can do well at least. Seems an interesting nation of rainbow mages at the very least, but not sure how to best leverage that.

Edit: Well, looks like llamaserver has some weirdness when a player is knocked out. Asphodel should take a reminder to send a 2h file in anyway, but it's not going to be a huge loss if the hosting time is missed.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 11:29:49 am by chaoticag »

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 22, 2016, 11:42:25 am »

So I just now learned that admin increases your income, I always figured it just "draws in resources" that effectivly.

Maybe I should have build forts on high income provinces, eh... : / the more you know ~

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 22, 2016, 12:05:45 pm »

Well, the problem is that the admin bonus isn't a massive boost to gold production. I want to say that someone did the math once and figured out that the bonus gold pays for the Fort in +20 turns but... I can't remember exactly. It's definitely way too long to be worth spamming forts everywhere though.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 22, 2016, 12:07:53 pm »

I seem to recall some math a long time ago about it not being worth it. If someone happens to link that or correct me, cool. But basically building a higher level fort for admin alone takes a lot of turns to pay itself back under ideal circumstances. Game might not last a lot of turns, and you most likely won't have ideal circumstances to work with. Between rituals, raiders and armies marching about, lots of things will tank your forts' income.

Not a bad idea to build on farms though. You're less likely to lose that provinces while fighting. Except farms have less gems and resources. And sometimes geopolitical landscape just doesn't agree with that farmland fort. It's all up to whatever you value most.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 22, 2016, 12:11:54 pm »

Well, forts in high resource areas are also good. Having a fort gives you access to the "hidden half" of the resources in a province, and draws from touching provinces (exception to the touching provinces thing. Sea forts do not interact with land provinces, land forts do not with sea provinces). Hidden resources are first drawn from the hidden half, then from the available half. I believe admin also helps distribute better supplies in an area...

But yes, 50 admin is 150% income instead of 100%

Though yeah. It's a lot of money and turns spent. Generally, you get more of an effect with scales I think.

jking47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 22, 2016, 01:31:05 pm »

Oh dear, it looks like Shinuyama and Arcosphale have decided to target me. I did kind of have a feeling it was coming.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 22, 2016, 01:39:14 pm »

Nothing personal! Well, okay, I was targeting those lands you grabbed so damnit! Maybe a little personal. Out of everyone I've had dealings with, I've talked to you the least so it's pretty threatening seeing an army that big so near my borders out of nowhere.

jking47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 22, 2016, 01:55:02 pm »

Yeah, we both kind of seemed to be racing for that throne, to be honest if you got there first I might have done the same thing haha.

Did not expect it to happen at the same time as Shinuyama though, but looking back I did take a lot of his stuff. I probably deserve this.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 22, 2016, 01:58:03 pm »

Yeah, we both kind of seemed to be racing for that throne, to be honest if you got there first I might have done the same thing haha.

Did not expect it to happen at the same time as Shinuyama though, but looking back I did take a lot of his stuff. I probably deserve this.

MP 101: Don't attack alone, gang up!

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 22, 2016, 02:00:49 pm »

To be fair, I did not even know Shinuyama was in on it. You just seemed to be in a momentarily vulnerable position.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 22, 2016, 02:52:42 pm »

Nothing personal! Well, okay, I was targeting those lands you grabbed so damnit! Maybe a little personal. Out of everyone I've had dealings with, I've talked to you the least so it's pretty threatening seeing an army that big so near my borders out of nowhere.
Yeah.  I've been looking rather askance at both Ulm and Marignon for that reason.  There's just something about seeing over 150 soldiers in a province when you're the only neighbor that could possibly merit such a troop deployment. 

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 22, 2016, 03:18:28 pm »

Sorry about that, Vanarus. It's hard not to spam soldiers from every fort, even if it's right on your borders. Can you not hold it against me?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 27