Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which Era?

EA
MA
LA

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 27

Author Topic: Dominions 4 Round 20 Back to Vanilla. The Games are over. ThtblovesDF wins!  (Read 35555 times)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round 20 Back to Vanilla. The Games are on!
« Reply #135 on: March 21, 2016, 11:29:00 am »

Asphodel does know that they can go AI, right? I mean, they could turn things around and win but that seems very unlikely to me. Going AI would speed up the game a bit and enable them to go do other things. Totally not bitter about them drawing things out. Totally not.

jking47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 21, 2016, 11:33:10 am »

Asphodel does know that they can go AI, right? I mean, they could turn things around and win but that seems very unlikely to me. Going AI would speed up the game a bit and enable them to go do other things. Totally not bitter about them drawing things out. Totally not.

Haha I will tell them, but I don't think you will be getting any relief that way. Knowing them, they will make this as painful as possible.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 21, 2016, 11:34:30 am »

It's less painful and more annoying. Eventually they'll run out of gold and get ganked but... I kinda want to do shit with my military instead of chasing them around everywhere you know?

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 21, 2016, 11:36:33 am »

Whats the best size2 unit one can get with water/air/nature/earth paths?

It was a few patches ago, but Naiad Warriors were/are pretty good units by themselves and one of the more mage-turn efficient summons to boot. I usually prefer to put my gems into battle spells so I'm not too well versed in great summon units.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 21, 2016, 11:51:49 am »

Well, for commanders, you can get the Bishop fish for a sacred 3 priest if you're willing to hand an amulet of the fish over to them. There's also summonig the worm that walks, which nets you an immortal nature 3 mage that recuperates. Slap some nature boosters on them and you won't need to worry about your globals going offline assuming you keep them in your domain.

As for units, there's not exactly much to choose from that are limited to size 2. You've got clockwork soldiers, mechanical soldier (an upgrade), gargoyles, clay men... if I had to pick one to pick I'd go with lamias though. 5 nature gems gets you 5 lamias, which is okay for 50% regen troops with a second form. Issues would be cold blooded.

Anyway, yeah, I guess we'll wait on Marignon. I can swap Asphodel to AI if requested from vangelic or jking. I'd rather not have them NOT rampage at this point, heh, it'd be too anti-climactic if they just rolled over.

fakeedit: wow, thread had no replies and all of a sudden all the replies.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 21, 2016, 11:52:31 am »

Haha I will tell them, but I don't think you will be getting any relief that way. Knowing them, they will make this as painful as possible.

Being a Pangea offshoot, they're probably an ideal guerilla nation.  They could probably come back (after all, returning from the dead is really their thing, right?)

Not to ruin their fun, but:
Dominions ProTip: it is often easier to Domkill someone then Actualkill them.  Build your temples, fortify, and let the whimpering dogs lie.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 21, 2016, 11:59:43 am »

At size 2, I'd agree on that; Awe +4 is decent enough, even at 2 gems per individual Kydnid.  That said, it depends on what you need them for.  While a good core, if you're looking for cheap chaff, Kydnids are awfully expensive.  Vine Men make great chaff, especially with forged items that boost the number you get (Ivy Crowns and Crown of the Ivy King); they'll soak up arrows and evocations so your expensive soldiers don't, as long as you back them up with something that can turn "do not lose" into "win" (this is the issue with Asphodel freespawn discussed earlier).  Lamias are a touch expensive (at worst, 1 gem to one Lamia), but regenerate and are good against someone who's spitting out point-die evocations since they have a second form; if they get hit by a Gift, possibly from Heaven, they'll simply change forms, and the excess damage is wiped clean.  On the Air front, Black Hawks are useful for patrols, though they are worthless for defense.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 21, 2016, 12:07:34 pm »

I can swap Asphodel to AI if requested from vangelic or jking. I'd rather not have them NOT rampage at this point, heh, it'd be too anticlimactic if they just rolled over.

Except they're down to only a single army, no forts or way to get more troops/income, and are being pursued by my larger and more powerful force. I have a bunch of Inquisitors tearing down their dominion as quick as they can. They've already been rolled over and can no longer be unfucked. To me it seems like dragging this out is pretty anticlimactic. But then again, totally not bitter or anything. Totally not. This is sarcasm, by the way, in case you couldn't tell.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 21, 2016, 12:19:32 pm »

> no way to get more troops
What about freespawn?

The longer they tie up your forces, the more it inconveniences you and presents an opportunity for your neighbors to invade you.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 21, 2016, 12:37:35 pm »

That's a very good question. It depends on whether freespawn come in on the recruitment phase (which occurs before movement and thus can't be picked up) or on the dominion effects phase (which occurs afterward movement and can be picked up next turn).

Mind you this is all a moot point since I've got Inquisitors tearing up Asphodel's dominion and their army is nowhere near their former lands. The chances of them actually getting down far enough to figure this problem out are pretty much 0.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 21, 2016, 01:06:14 pm »

Lamias are a touch expensive (at worst, 1 gem to one Lamia), but regenerate and are good against someone who's spitting out point-die evocations since they have a second form; if they get hit by a Gift, possibly from Heaven, they'll simply change forms, and the excess damage is wiped clean.
Unfortunately, a recent patch changed it so that if the damage a creature takes is more than the hp pool of both forms combined they die right out.

I can swap Asphodel to AI if requested from vangelic or jking. I'd rather not have them NOT rampage at this point, heh, it'd be too anticlimactic if they just rolled over.

Except they're down to only a single army, no forts or way to get more troops/income, and are being pursued by my larger and more powerful force. I have a bunch of Inquisitors tearing down their dominion as quick as they can. They've already been rolled over and can no longer be unfucked. To me it seems like dragging this out is pretty anticlimactic. But then again, totally not bitter or anything. Totally not. This is sarcasm, by the way, in case you couldn't tell.
Look, I need to torment everyone sooner or later. But yeah, seriously, I don't think this sounds like a solved problem to me on your end until it goes away, heh. I mean, you have a solution, but how long it takes is completely part of it. Not gonna give you a free pass over that heh.

Addendum: not that I care so much to extend the deadline for submissions now. No point in delaying the main show for a side show.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 21, 2016, 03:20:59 pm »

Look, I need to torment everyone sooner or later. But yeah, seriously, I don't think this sounds like a solved problem to me on your end until it goes away, heh. I mean, you have a solution, but how long it takes is completely part of it. Not gonna give you a free pass over that heh.

Well, it's kind of a moot point now. :v

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 21, 2016, 03:37:42 pm »

Well, rest in peace Asphodel. And hopefully Vangellic enjoyed this game. Sorry if it was a bit too much of a brutal beatdown! Though yeah. We have our first elimination. And congrats on your first victory, since it seemed you carried the brunt of the charge there.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 21, 2016, 03:55:27 pm »

Well, desure is down so most of my google's questions currently hit 404 sites, ugh.

RIP Asphodel.

I see that c'tis has begun its sieges, lets see how things work out. Overall the situation might be the most tense right now, with the conquest phase over (mostly?) and most getting ready for pvp.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 21, 2016, 04:04:20 pm »

C'tis has been sieging the same fort for the better part of the last year. Seems they're stuck in a limbo where Shinuyama sends relief forces only to be killed by C'tis, while C'tis can no longer siege and so they need to ferry troops, until Shinuyama brings the next relief force along.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 27