Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which Era?

EA
MA
LA

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 27

Author Topic: Dominions 4 Round 20 Back to Vanilla. The Games are over. ThtblovesDF wins!  (Read 35529 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round 20 Back to Vanilla. The Games are on!
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2016, 10:52:18 am »

Few notes for our new players:

If you're last to upload a turn, consider waiting for the few minutes it takes for llamaserver to process it and then do your next turn straight away. It helps keep the game moving.

Also, the best hotkey in the game is 'n'. It cycles through your (n)ext idle commander. Very handy way to check up on your scouts and to keep your commanders and mages working.

Thanks, I didn't know that!  All this time, I had been using Nation Overview.  While I probably will continue using Nation Overview in my active games, I might throw some "n" into later games.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2016, 11:42:02 am »

So turn 5, someone is already next to my capital, good times.
Sorry for the delay, did a double turn to make up for it.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2016, 11:56:58 am »

I'm just thanking my stars I didn't end up with two nations next to mine.  Time to send off some diplomatic notices, I suppose.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2016, 08:05:26 am »

So I already found 3 4 nations around me, hey guys.

We need more banter or does that only come later?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 08:17:38 am by ThtblovesDF »

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2016, 08:28:45 am »

Well, at the moment I try not to banter too much since I'm worried I'd give too much away. But yeah, we're only running into other nations around now and soon enough I suppose it would be inevitable. Finding myself in an interesting position at least, heh.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2016, 10:21:42 am »

Well I've only spotted a couple of capitals. Little hush hush border discussions, but nothing beyond that at this point.

jking47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2016, 03:40:12 pm »

Yeah, hard to banter too much right now without giving stuff away, but I suspect that will soon change. Just found a few people on the last couple turns.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2016, 04:08:02 pm »

Yeah, hard to banter too much right now without giving stuff away...
That's actually one of the things I find most annoying about Dominions - I'd love to be able to talk about the stuff I'm trying out, how things are going, what I'm planning for the future... and yeah, you really can't do any of that, because you'd be setting yourself up to get countered by your opponents. Heck, even posting screenshots of a particularly cool/decisive battle can backfire, since you've now just informed everybody what your main army composition looks like.

Theoretically you could talk about it after the game's over, but by the point you've been playing for months, and I, at least, am not the kind of person who keeps notes, so can only give vague, sweeping generalities to how the early/mid game went.

Hellheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2016, 05:01:16 pm »

Ideally you'll get to know one or two players enough that you can form strong alliances. Sharing basic info and strategies with them can only backfire insomuch as any backstab would be marginally more devastating. Usually the benefit there outweighs the risks, although everyone will keep a few things back since there's no reason to share everything and you can't guarantee that anybody will remain your ally forever.

You can also talk with somebody you know who's not playing in that game. That's what I generally did when I couldn't find a good ally that would talk enough.

After my Lanka win, I feel that good note-taking is essential. Eventually you'll reach a point where your empire has so many sites, so many scattered troops, and so many commanders doing both one-shot and continuous things that you will be forgetting things without notes. It also helps get back into things more quickly after a long break.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 05:03:32 pm by Hellheart »

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2016, 06:18:40 pm »

That's actually one of the things I find most annoying about Dominions - I'd love to be able to talk about the stuff I'm trying out, how things are going, what I'm planning for the future... and yeah, you really can't do any of that, because you'd be setting yourself up to get countered by your opponents. Heck, even posting screenshots of a particularly cool/decisive battle can backfire, since you've now just informed everybody what your main army composition looks like.

Theoretically you could talk about it after the game's over, but by the point you've been playing for months, and I, at least, am not the kind of person who keeps notes, so can only give vague, sweeping generalities to how the early/mid game went.
One of the perks of a disciples game, which I might consider running here once this one slows down or is over maybe. But yeah, a lot of interesting stuff going on my end, and I'm sure a lot of interesting stuff is going on the others end too.

Anyway, seems the year is about to be over, and we should be expecting dormant gods to wake up. I haven't been keeping track of anyone's titles, so this should be interesting.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2016, 04:42:14 am »

Well I just asked Shinuyama if they need there capital, cause I was planning on taking that region.

Then I submited my 2h and saw. Diplomacy 10/10

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2016, 03:20:04 pm »

Oh, that's highly amusing.  I hereby rate your diplomancy skills two Panzers up. ^_^

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2016, 04:38:26 pm »

Someone remind me to stop sending diplomacy BEFORE doing my turn, it just leads to me saying so many stupid things.

Also while building a lot of scouts was stupid, it gives me a lot of insight and being in the center of the map, I shall be giving away priceless intel here.

If your nation name is short - or sounds a lot like Kishin Shinoyama a japanese photographer - you are doing very well, territory wise. #banter

« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 04:51:32 pm by ThtblovesDF »

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2016, 05:31:21 pm »

It's not a lot of land, and it's pretty bad land to boot. Plus there's an evil eggspawn near here stinking up the place. I'm barely keeping my mages from falling ill on the spot.

Looking at the bright side, at least I'm far from Asphodel. Having to push back two evil dominions would be a bit much.

Hatman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2016, 07:47:09 pm »

"Evil eggspawn", really? We're kind of the token minority that practice death magic prudently, unlike your "sinister and bloody cult of bakemono". And really, it's not that our dominion is toxic, it's that it's tropical - if you're bothered by mosquitos, take good care of your scales and they won't be able to bite you.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 27