Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which Era?

EA
MA
LA

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 27

Author Topic: Dominions 4 Round 20 Back to Vanilla. The Games are over. ThtblovesDF wins!  (Read 35512 times)

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes. Chaoticag posted a link few posts earlier with instructions if you're not sure how it works. And make sure you download the mod and map we use, you can find them in the opening post.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile

Glad to have you here Vangelic, hope it goes well on your end.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd be intrested, unsure of race since I didn't try most of them yet, but I'll just take one with free-chaff and no/limited unit building if possible, in hopes of that being "easy".
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 09:56:41 am by ThtblovesDF »

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile

Free chaff and limited unit building does not an easy nation make. Usually the opposite in fact, since the free chaff generally comes with your dom ganking your populations to generate them (making everyone hate you) and your limited unit building being done with gems (which has its own host of problems). Not to mention that micromanaging your free chaff is a pain... I definitely wouldn't call any nation that fits your criteria 'easy'.

If you want 'easy' then I would go with MA Man if I was you. They don't get free chaff but their units are good and their mage-corps aren't bad either. So you have a good early game which definitely helps you later on when people start fighting each other.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile

I'd be intrested, unsure of race since I didn't try most of them yet, but I'll just take one with free-chaff and no/limited unit building if possible, in hopes of that being "easy".
I wouldn't recommend this but we have a free slot. Figured I'd have one in case an eighth player showed up. All we have for freespawn nations is Ermor. But yeah will update the topic when I'm back home to account for your pick.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Seriously though. Don't take Ermor if you're unsure of which nation to play as. They work differently from everyone else and are huge jerks and so on. Not the kind of thing to play if you're looking for something 'easy'.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile

Aye.  While Ermor meets your criteria for freespawn, it is also typically target numero uno for anyone nearby who has to deal with its murderous dominion, and having a relatively unique recruitment mechanic for armies tends to make things tricky.  I think the most friendly nations for neophytes tend to have relatively low magic diversity (less combinatorial explosion with paths, allowing the player to ease in), as well as powerful, relatively inexpensive national troops (can throw a powerful army together from fort recruits, rather than messing with summons or freespawn).  In game at present, Ulm and Marignon probably qualify.  Not yet picked include Man, Pangaea, and possibly Sceleria and Pythium. 

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile

Now that Culise mentions it, if you really want to, remember that you can automate recruitment this time around. It's like freespawn, but you pay for it. Unfortunately, Ulm, the go to recommendation for beginner nations (in my opinion anyway) has already been taken. Maybe play Tien Chi instead. Another suggestion would be to play a bless nation where you only need to worry about the logistics of a few elite units, while the rest of your troops support those units. Scaleria can also hit the freespawn but not threshold I believe since their priests can reanimate the dead. Wait until someone else confirms that for me.

Also, lemme know if you need help Vangelic, you seemed confused on how to submit things to the server to get started, so we're free to help you out with that stuff if need be.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I can always give up Ulm and move to another nation if needed. MA Pelagia isn't the best nation in the world, but they do appeal to me and the thought of shaking my fist at the surface dwellers is very amusing. It's up to Tht if they want to play Ulm of course, but I see no problem with switching. With another player joining I'm more worried about the map being too small than anything else, if that counts for anything.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile

8 players at 113 lands should still be a little spacious. The rule of thumb is 10 lands per player as is, with 15 being as spacy as it gets before it feels too open. On Snerdryn we'd have 14 and a half land provinces to share, with two water provinces each given a missing water nation.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh. I thought that Snerdyn was smaller than that for some reason. Never mind, the map is definitely fine with me in that case.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile

Unless I'm too old school to know about changes, Abyssia is pretty easy, especially in MA when it doesn't have the blood thing going.  Their strategy can be summed up in two words:
"Burn Everything"

And since their dominions only heats up the neighborhood, their neighbors usually don't hassle them.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile

Ah, the only reason I didn't suggest Abysia is because they have the double-whammy of high-heat and high-encumbrance, which hurts fatigue quite a bit, but it looks like that actually isn't as big an issue as I thought from looking it over - their fire resistance is high enough to completely negate fatigue penalties from heat.  In other words, if learning how to blood and burn is your thing, then by all means, feel free to scorch the world. ^_^

Also, T'ien Ch'i was my very first nation, and it is a very good learner.  They have a huge variety in magic, though, so the complexity of that might be a bit daunting.  That said, if you can grasp it and how to benefit from it, it's an excellent option.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 05:35:39 pm by Culise »

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile

...Sometimes I forget abyssia is a nation despite it having a giant flaming الله as a god. For some reason.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Probably because LA Abysia is the only one that really sees play? Most people tend to go for nations that aren't so... monosyllabic. Yes, EA/MA Abysia have Blood/Astral/Earth in their cap but outside it there's nothing but Fire. Tends to put people off.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 27