Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which Era?

EA
MA
LA

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27

Author Topic: Dominions 4 Round 20 Back to Vanilla. The Games are over. ThtblovesDF wins!  (Read 35494 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round 20 Back to Vanilla. The Games are on!
« Reply #360 on: May 13, 2016, 02:50:26 pm »

Edit: If Vanrus had done a double turn, we would have a turn like 4 hours after the last - impressive.
Coincidence of coincidences, I did do a double-turn. Triple-turns, unfortunately, are a bit beyond my means. :P

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: May 13, 2016, 05:12:32 pm »

My bad - and I finally redid all the orders for the fuck-huge army, this is going to be a nice battle.

Edit: Or struggle, eh.

I've reached the point where my retreating troops and armys are so sizeable (or messed up?) that double-clicks no longer select all  units of a single type, so I have to shift-click armys back together - annoying.

Edit2:

Thanks for the item delivery Ulm, but the delivery man was very aggressive
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 06:15:16 pm by ThtblovesDF »

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: May 15, 2016, 06:29:19 pm »

Very curious on how many gems we'd squeezed out of ulm so far at this point. Each golem seems easily worth 50 gems or so, not to mention the global enchantment battle.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: May 15, 2016, 06:52:06 pm »

The equipment is all relatively cheap, since it's all made by smiths with hammers. Golems aren't so cheap, but I haven't made any of those in ages. The iron angel died remarkably fast, but then, I wasn't expecting either of those two to run into a 600-unit army (maelstrom killed all my scouts).
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: May 16, 2016, 05:17:15 am »

*Vengeful Waters

Malestorm gave mana. No longer, sadly. It's gonna be a messy fight Ulm, may the better one of us win or something like that - but I'm sure we both know how I only recently levels up from beginner to amateur in this game.

Also dear lord, you had like 60 scouts that died to vengeful waters over the various turns, how much intel can one person need? - Your most recent iron angels seem to be doing better., however.

Ironically, the smallest nation on the map currently has the biggest doom-blob I've seen so far.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 10:26:59 am by ThtblovesDF »

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: May 17, 2016, 12:36:32 pm »

If number of scouted provinces is less than the number of provinces you're not scouting enough.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: May 17, 2016, 06:28:11 pm »

I was wondering why this turn took so long, looks like I just forgot to turn it in, ooops. Sorry about the wait!

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: May 18, 2016, 02:55:12 am »

Something for our readers:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Fight Starts with plenty of Strenght of Gaia and quicken self, with the Iron angle jumping right in the middle of my crossbows.

Meanwhile Pan starts Grip of Winter and Cold-rest for the army, as well as the few late EarthPower Powerups - some charm spells fail on the iron angle (which I didn't expect to meet here, honestly).

The Angle then gets storm-of-throned in place and absolutly shotgunned in the face by all crossbows.

A angry shambler chief knocks the iron angle in the knee and he is quickly finished off by the next volly of bolts. But his army remains:

Especially the Black Knights on the "unprotected" flank are worrysome, but they already have roughly 10 fatigue each - a start.

The knights turn on the water-minotaurs and they barly surive the charge thanks to the barkskin.
The Black Plate Inf continues to "nope" all arrow and bolt vollys and for some reason my iron bane never was cast.

We now have a full melee, with the Aphori on the north flank holding there ground, but lacking damage against ulms inf - this mostly comes from there own poison spikes.
Overall the lenght of Ocianas weapons seems to be "winning" this-stall melee, as they are able to repell a lot of hits while the inf itself fatigues out, freezes to death and in somecases even rapidly decay.

The real joke here is that I'm winning with ranged weapons using a nation that has none.

The Queen of Elemental water had to take a nap after the battlefield enchantments and now returns to cast a devestating niefel-flames, hitting plenty of her own troops, but at least they got some cold-res:

The next volley of attacks is finally enough to break the brave Ulm troops - they are not actually beaten, even while countless of them have taken serious damage, but there moral is low, nearly everyone is wounded and high on fatigue - turning now might be wise, even if they could hold there melee far longer if they wanted to. Ulm has plentyful casters, but they are busy rushing thrones, so this fight goes to ociana.

In the last turns, many of Ulms troops are charmed and welcome with healing mists and open arms into this rag-tag-bunch of lovable misfits. Maybe they just miss the Gift of Health?

Most other battles didn't go so well, since iron blizzard is still total bullshit ; )

Infact there are so many spells the fight with Ulms god sometimes makes my game crash on very fast.

In other News "Minimal Investment" the glorious champion of the Arena died, passed out and hit by about 30 Orb Lightings at once.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 06:39:18 am by ThtblovesDF »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: May 18, 2016, 10:45:39 am »

Judging by how things are looking, I expect you'll have enough thrones to win in a few turns.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: May 18, 2016, 11:21:16 am »

Judging by how soon we are to the late game I should consider trying to get everyone who had played the game together if possible. Shaking hands (virtually) and prolly swapping notes would help a lot since this was a beginner's game and all, so some criticisms and comments about how we all did from the folks involved would be nice.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: May 18, 2016, 11:34:07 am »

Oceania's done very well, I think.

My mistake was probably that I didn't attack earlier when I'd have had more of an advantage, but probably the only really effective "earlier" would have been "before I joined the game" :P.

I have very few late-game tricks available as Ulm since we have very weak path access - I have tons of gems and nobody who can do anything really useful with them. (I did empower and boost a bunch of people, of course, but I can't deploy E5 casters into armies to cast Army of Gold/Lead - also the one time I ordered it, it didn't get cast, or maybe the mage never made it, I don't know). Or maybe there are effective things I can do with them that I don't know about. That said, I'm only expending minimal effort on the game at this point because defeat appears certain.

P.S. They're iron angels, not this:

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: May 18, 2016, 12:34:23 pm »

Sorry, English is real hard for my little fish brain.

Seeing how earth blood deep well was finally overcast as well, I tend to agree - thanks to natures bounty I have a income thats getting close to 20 000 G, which is pretty sweet.

I didn't expect things to go so well, mostly because Vanrus choose to mess with my globals like no tommorow. Otherwise, I managed to do enough good diplomacy to get to the lategame in a good position.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: May 18, 2016, 12:45:15 pm »

Should we call this a game then? Pretty much willing to throw in the towel at this point since there's not much more that I can do in game, and it's sounding like Shadowlord is out of options. Might be better to have that round 21 that ThtblovesDF mentioned on the dominions thread.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: May 18, 2016, 01:45:42 pm »

I'm fine eitherway, obviously there is a joy in tasting the victory fully, but I'm just happy with my first eitherway.

Not all is lost - if you hit the right 2 provinces at the right time, all my globals would go down and it would twist things right around. 

Maybe play another turn, just to see if your army can take on ulms fortress, otherwise get worked up on a new turn.

IMO Ulm could have won it, even going back as little as 5-10 turns, but by playing safe and betting on a golem-air-drop and holding many troops back, they gave me time to leave vanrus-land and swing everything around. My Underwater provinces where never attacked the entire game and I'm sure once we see the graphs, my fort spam may have contributed to a tiny and small increase in cash flow over time.

As for a new round, I've never hosted before nor do I think I could do a great job like chaoticag, but I'd certainly be up for playing another game.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: May 18, 2016, 02:03:32 pm »

Ulm was playing way too safe in that war yeah. I should have lost it before Vanarus was Vanquished. The earlier bits of the war were prolly where you could have brokered a peace agreement with me since I was at my lowest there before swapping priorities from "face ulm straight on" to "Let's make ulm pay through the nose in gems".
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27