Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Divine Metals in Fortress mode?  (Read 5606 times)

SeiggrainHart

• Bay Watcher
  • Order of the Black Arrow
    • View Profile
Divine Metals in Fortress mode?
« on: February 29, 2016, 04:32:26 pm »

So, I've just gotten back to playing DF after a bit of not playing, so the first thing I've done is created a brand new world. Getting into the location I wanted, it had a waterfall going into a secondary river, so I could use it to keep dwarves happy, I ran into something interesting. Rough-hewn Twinkling Metal. Now, last I checked, Twinkling Metal was one of the Divine Metals you can run into during Adventure mode, found on many of the Divine beings. I've seen it, and the others in the Manager when ever designating any task with metal involved, but have ignored them due to the fact that I shouldn't have been able to get any to my fortress.

At the moment, all I'm going to do is collect the Twinkling Metal, as I'm not sure it's supposed to show up in the world like so. Before doing anything else with it, I want to know if this is a bug/glitch, or something deliberately done. And if it's deliberately done, then would it 'break' my army dwarves by making them Over Powered if I were to make armors and weapons from it?

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
Re: Divine Metals in Fortress mode?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 04:50:03 pm »

there have been reports of divine metals showing up in fortress mode unexpectedly, though it hasnt been mentioned in the release notes so im guessing bug
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

SeiggrainHart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 04:55:31 pm »

I'm thinking it might actually be an unexpected glitch, due to the world gen. not registering that the generated divine metals aren't supposed to be placed in the world as rough hewn like it does with the other metals.

Either way, weather it's a bug or a glitch, I'm going to just stash them in a little corner of the fortress, before I attempt to craft anything with them.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 05:24:01 pm »

save pl0x

SeiggrainHart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 05:40:00 pm »

fearlesslittletoaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 05:53:02 pm »

I say you really aggressively mine through it and post what happens. Probably its a bug and there isn't something horrific on the far side. Or there is!

SeiggrainHart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 05:59:52 pm »

That'll be the issue though... If you look at the file I linked, you'd realize that the Twinkling Metal is the only stone I've dug into so far... (I used Cheat Engine to raise the embark price thing, so that I can bring a shit ton of supplies, including 50 pieces of Pitchblende.)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 06:05:37 pm »

The divine metals have the same qualities as steel, but are a lot lighter. They'll give you a nice head start on training raw recruits, because you can protect them more without weighing them down.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

SeiggrainHart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 06:14:25 pm »

The divine metals have the same qualities as steel, but are a lot lighter. They'll give you a nice head start on training raw recruits, because you can protect them more without weighing them down.

I'm already aware of this, as I looked into Divine Metals after seeing them in the Manager menu. My concern is the fact that they've shown up in a raw format, which from what I could see, was NOT something they should have been able to do. So I'm wary of doing anything with the Twinkling Metal other then moving it to a stock pile, which has worked so far.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 06:29:35 pm »

Okay, you can decide for yourself whether divine metal is OP.

I melted down four of the 'boulders' and made a -mail shirt-. The metal itself seems to be functioning as intended, even if it's showing up as a mineable layer.

You have a duplicated raw, which is something that can cause odd substitutions. There's SANDY_CLAY in the mod soil folder, and also in the original soil folder.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

SeiggrainHart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 09:19:08 pm »

That, might be the source of the bug. I thought it might be an issue with the world gen. and never thought it might be due to duplicate raws due to my mod... I'll fix that in the next update for my mod, which also has a thread.