Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help me find the leak (solved!)  (Read 799 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Help me find the leak (solved!)
« on: February 28, 2016, 05:08:51 pm »

So I am a bit baffled.
I've had a giant cave bat, a giant cave swallow, and a troll wander into my fort's cagetraps lately (the former two have been turned into roasts, the troll is in a lever linked cage awaiting some recruits). I can't for the life of me figure out how they could have gotten in, because as fas as I can tell, the caverns are sealed off. Can anyone find the leak?

There's a retracted bridge lock at the shift-F2 zoom point, everything else is sealed with walls.

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11818

You might want to set population cap to 10 soft 50 hard, and child cap to 14:50 unless you want to get swamped by migrants and births. I've been playing with invaders off for FPS and longevity reasons, but every dwarf is in a squad, reasonably well to well-trained and armoured up, so I suppose the fort can put up a defense if nescessary.

EDIT: note: it's for version 42.06
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 05:35:10 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help me find the leak
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 05:16:06 pm »

Are they climbing over the walls, or dropping in from a higher level?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 05:22:31 pm »

My guess would be the level 32-33. There's a 2x2 hole in a ceiling, where fliers can get in.

Not sure about trolls, can't quite tell if it's pathable for walkers.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 05:24:11 pm by Blue_Dwarf »
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 05:23:11 pm »

Are they climbing over the walls, or dropping in from a higher level?
Not as far as I can tell. I'm almost starting to think the are spawning in a small piece of existing cavern which I encorporated into my fort (just 2 or 3 tiles that is), but I thought creatures could only spawn in at map edge, and not somewhere in the middle of a cavern.

My guess would be the level 32-33. There's a 2x2 hole in a ceiling, where fliers can get in.

Not quite sure what you mean with level 32-33... You mean the shift F2 point with the retracted bridge? Or the level above that, where there's empty space below the up ramps?

EDIT: oh, 32-33 down from ground level, I see what you mean. Yeah I'll guess I need to plug that up if only for the flyers. The troll must have goofed, climbed, goofed again and fallen in. Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 05:33:13 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 05:32:21 pm »

Not quite sure what you mean with level 32-33... You mean the shift F2 point with the retracted bridge? Or the level above that, where there's empty space below the up ramps?

I mean these 3 tiles of open space:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: Help me find the leak (solved!)
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 07:30:21 pm »

WHY ARE ALL YOUR WALLS LIKE STOCKPILES?!
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2016, 07:38:28 pm »

WHY ARE ALL YOUR WALLS LIKE STOCKPILES?!
because tileset?
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2016, 07:38:55 pm »

What kind of wall is a = sign?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2016, 08:02:24 pm »

The issue was probably on my end, I attempted to install Phoebus on that save and probably messed it up.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2016, 08:56:14 pm »

What kind of wall is a = sign?
a vanilla one, playing without any textures and thats what walls look like
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/