Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Goblin Occupation  (Read 2836 times)

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
Goblin Occupation
« on: February 27, 2016, 04:45:05 pm »

I have a world where there is currently a war between goblins and humans being fought. One hamlet I found had goblin towers and trenches dotted around, and was completely depopulated.

I killed the lord and took over his position.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

JamesCorella

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account Lets Plays
Re: Goblin Occupation
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 06:14:08 am »

Moar updates on the take over pls.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 07:51:14 am »

Usually the occupation forces and "support civvies" will leave town and set up camp on the outskirts.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 09:42:43 am »

Yeah. It was empty save for a few I killed on sight.
I tend to kill any invaders in camps I see.
My goal is now to try to turn the tide of the war, both in adventure and fort mode.
(Does anyone know what worldgen battles care about in terms of equipment, skills etc?)
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 11:49:31 am »

My goal is now to try to turn the tide of the war, both in adventure and fort mode.
(Does anyone know what worldgen battles care about in terms of equipment, skills etc?)
Things I can say for certain: worldgen battles are series of 1v1 duels, skill is taken into account and increases as the fighting goes on, one combatant can slay entire army with lucky early "rolls".
What is possible, but I can't confirm: equipment may give multipliers, physical traits may be taken into account as well.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 11:51:10 am by Diamond »

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 09:53:00 pm »

Things I can say for certain: worldgen battles are series of 1v1 duels, skill is taken into account and increases as the fighting goes on, one combatant can slay entire army with lucky early "rolls".
What is possible, but I can't confirm: equipment may give multipliers, physical traits may be taken into account as well.

I dont think equipment is tracked yet, but its planned. ( I might be wrong about whether or not its currently in)
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2016, 10:24:32 pm »

I dont think equipment is tracked yet, but its planned. ( I might be wrong about whether or not its currently in)
Elves get beaten up really easily, and the only real reason I can think of is that worldgen knows they're using wooden weapons/armour. So it's working out something, even if it's not at the individual equipment level yet.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 07:42:54 pm »

Humans have the advantage of size, elves have numbers and speed, goblins have numbers and a demon master, dwarves are strong.

Also, the personality of the general determines how well an army does, as well as the general's skill in organizing, leadership, and military tactics. Those skills are also trained by battles, even no-contest ones.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 11:41:51 pm »

Humans have the advantage of size, elves have numbers and speed, goblins have numbers and a demon master, dwarves are strong.
Goblins and Elves also have immortality.
Goblins have better physical stats than anyone else (rather surprisingly). Elves are generally worse off for physical stats, but are a little more agile. Humans are, naturally, middle of the road with dwarves slightly above them in Strength/Toughness but still below Goblins.
Just adding on to that a little. One of the reason Goblins do so well, aside from their numbers, is their immortality and the lack of a need to eat or drink -- so their massive hordes can hypothetically all reach legendary (though I don't think it ever happens in world gen, or at least I have never seen it). If a world is genned for long enough, Goblins will almost always win save in the rare case where they're rapidly exterminated by the other 3 races in the very early years.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2016, 01:21:14 am »

Goblins have better physical stats than anyone else (rather surprisingly). Elves are generally worse off for physical stats, but are a little more agile. Humans are, naturally, middle of the road with dwarves slightly above them in Strength/Toughness but still below Goblins.
Just adding on to that a little. One of the reason Goblins do so well, aside from their numbers, is their immortality and the lack of a need to eat or drink -- so their massive hordes can hypothetically all reach legendary (though I don't think it ever happens in world gen, or at least I have never seen it). If a world is genned for long enough, Goblins will almost always win save in the rare case where they're rapidly exterminated by the other 3 races in the very early years.

They also murder each other constantly so they are constantly losing people aswell.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Aleksanderus

• Bay Watcher
  • Champion of the unknown
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2016, 03:20:34 pm »

They also murder each other constantly so they are constantly losing people aswell.
But they're still the most numerous race in df  :D
his title changed to "thruthful chills"
Also known as : "Believe me when I say this guy is a psychotic murderer".