Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Back from long time away, wondering whats new, and recommendations  (Read 1393 times)

Gunnarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I stopped playing around the time where minecarts and huge amounts of animal-man was added in.

Wondering what is new in dwarf fortress? I heard seige was broken for awhile but now fixed?

I heard about that the world is no longer paused while playing Fortress mode, but not sure how this changes game

Can anyone list any major bugs (that are around today) and new features since around late 2011?

Should I play the latest patch or a earlier one?

Anything else you guys can think of, say too

thanks very much

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Back from long time away, wondering whats new, and recommendations
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 08:48:25 am »

1) The world being alive means sieges aren't randomly generated any more. Goblins siege you if they feel like it, have enough numbers to do so and aren't busy elsewhere. Sieges are 'fixed' but it'll be different to what you're used to. Ambushes seem to be broken though, so you won't get goblins until a full siege turns up which won't be until you reach population 80. That can be changed pretty easily if you think that's too late (it is, because training is also more effective these days).

2) I'd say latest release unless you need DFhack. Dwarf Therapist is working in 42.06 now.
    42.07 will be even better if you play adventurer. And hopefully the bugs below will be fixed.

3) Main bugs in latest version are:
     Trading masterpieces seems to result in them being 'lost', upsetting the artists.
     Dwarves have a tendency to climb trees and not know how to climb down (rescue them with some stairs before they die)

I mean there are hundreds of little bugs, DF has always had loads, but those two seem to be the ones annoying people the most right now.

The world not being paused effects pretty much everything, but you might not notice much. Dwarves might suddenly inherit noble positions as their relatives are killed off screen, migrants turn up missing limbs (and occasionally heads), your own retired adventurers turn up at your tavern, that sort of thing. If you play lots of short fortresses plus adventurer you'll notice the changing situation a lot more.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 09:00:30 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 08:42:03 pm »

Dwarves have specific needs now, and lots of them. If those needs are not met, dwarves can get Distracted, which means... I dunno, actually. I think they take a penalty to skill rolls. Make a meeting area, then use the new Location menu to make a tavern or temple. You don't need any of the associated furniture or dwarven positions to satisfy the basic needs of prayer and poetry. Actual inebriation is a thing now, with mood changes, loss of coordination, nausea, and lung failure (simulating choking on vomit). Dwarves are a bit more resistant to this than other races, and can drink normally from the stockpiles, but they might be overwhelmed if the tavern staff keep providing drinks.

'On Break' is a thing of the past. Instead you have '[Do Thing!]', where 'thing' is an activity such as praying, meditating, telling or listening to stories, or pondering a subject. Like 'On Break', these are not interruptable. There is a lesser level, '[Do Thing]', which can be interrupted by jobs.

There are also some new industries, such as papermaking and bookbinding. The fruits of these labours can be acquired from the dwarven caravan quite easily, if you want to mess around with libraries without getting all the resources together.

Undead are a little less OP. While they're still tough, they don't retain the combat smarts they had in life.

Also, wagons will get spooked and scupper if they see a sentient corpse. This has occured in previous versions, but the topic seems to be coming up a lot lately.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Gunnarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 11:59:34 pm »

Thanks for replies!

hmm I wonder when ambushes would be fixed now...

should I stay away for longer? :p

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 10:50:37 am »

Thanks for replies!

hmm I wonder when ambushes would be fixed now...

should I stay away for longer? :p

Nah, instead of ambushes you get things like stealth weremamoths showing up instead which is pretty amusing. Lycanthopes in general are more dangerous than they used to be.