Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What colour are items?  (Read 1077 times)

mixtrak

What colour are items?
« on: February 26, 2016, 11:12:02 pm »

Hi all. I have dwarves with colour preferences for "buff" and "tan". Trying to match them with labours for these colours. Do you reckon parchment is this colour? How might one find out?

More generally, given a dwarf's colour preference, how might we go about compiling a list of objects and materials they would like to work with?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: What colour are items?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 11:41:33 pm »

Parchment is white. It's in material_template_default.txt. There are materials in that file which have their given colours overwritten by particular examples of that material, such as gems or wood, but parchment is not overwritten by anything. The only creature whose parchment deviates from the template is the cow, and that only changes the parchment name to 'vellum'.

Sand pear wood is tan. I don't know if anything in the game is buff.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 12:06:05 am »

I don't know if anything in the game is buff.

Well giants, minotaurs, and ettins might be considered buff. Of course gnomes run around in the buff guzzling booze and chasing gnome tail. So, perhaps the dwarf has a preference for gnomes who ride buff minotaurs in the buff.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 12:26:08 pm »

This df wiki page might be helpful to you:

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Colour

I think yellow would be closer to buff's RGB values than brown, while for tan I think the other way around. So the answer to your original question would be: either make the dwarf a woodcutter / carpenter / bowyer, or a farmer.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 12:29:25 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

PopTart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 05:58:19 pm »

You can look at an item's details in-game as well. The color of the item is right there along with its weight, temperature, material, etc.

gentgeen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 09:27:07 pm »

Some animals can have buff fur. Looking through the domestics (until I got bored), dogs, cats, mules, donkeys, horses, and cows could have one or more body parts with buff fur. Sheep could not.