Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13

Author Topic: Ocean of Stars: Fantasy Space Exploration game: Started!  (Read 13819 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: Ocean of Stars: Fantasy Space Exploration game [looking for players!]
« Reply #75 on: February 29, 2016, 11:51:01 am »

Also isn't it also possible that Gig can provoke us into all taking initiative without being caught in probably-personal-affairs-for-too-long? :P

That is the aforementioned killing everyone, yes.
Post slowly at your peril. :P
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 29, 2016, 11:55:11 am »

So how many people are you going to be taking, Gig? When are you going to choose?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 29, 2016, 12:02:16 pm »

I'll be taking 5-6 people, choosing reasonably soon - within the next day or so.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 29, 2016, 12:06:10 pm »

Love you too Dwarmin :'(

<3

See, that's why we need a Captain tho. Hurricanes, terrorism, floods of poison fish-stuff happens, not everyone can post all the time. Relying on a freeform game with a 100% participation is not very wise. It'd be good to have one person (relatively stable) who can keep the ship moving no matter what. Because if the ship isn't moving, we're all hostages.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Romans

• Bay Watcher
  • More of an abstract Concept
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 29, 2016, 12:16:05 pm »

I concur and we can shift around who the captain is, if the group doesn't like how they're running things.
Crazy??I was crazy once they put me in a room, a rubber room, with rats. I hate rats, they drive me crazy......Crazy?? I was crazy once, they put me in a room, a rubber room, with rats. I hate rats, they drive me crazy......Crazy??

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 29, 2016, 12:26:45 pm »

Yeah, we shift them right out into the icy cold darkness of space...
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Romans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 29, 2016, 12:29:07 pm »

Shhhhhhh, don't say that to loud no will volunteer themselves for tribute want to be captain.
Crazy??I was crazy once they put me in a room, a rubber room, with rats. I hate rats, they drive me crazy......Crazy?? I was crazy once, they put me in a room, a rubber room, with rats. I hate rats, they drive me crazy......Crazy??

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ocean of Stars: Fantasy Space Exploration game
« Reply #82 on: February 29, 2016, 12:32:18 pm »

Since I'm the only pilot, and thus, a bit irreplaceable, I'll volunteer.

Romans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 29, 2016, 12:36:53 pm »

How hard can it be to fly a spaceship eehh I have no objections because I don't want too :p.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 29, 2016, 12:40:30 pm »

you try and fly through an asteroid belt at full bern with elven raiders on your exhaust and then ask that question again m8

:P

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 29, 2016, 12:47:56 pm »

The pilot doesn't have to be the Captain. :P

Also, no reason to volunteer for anything until we see who is/isn't going to be playing! It may be the crew will have to hire NPC's to plug in some spots.

Romans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 29, 2016, 12:57:15 pm »

Well i've a got a jar of dirt True lol lets find out first.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 29, 2016, 04:18:33 pm »

Gigla, is my sheet alright?

PTW and making a sheet.

Spoiler: Character (click to show/hide)
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Mopsy

• Bay Watcher
  • loveless power is abusive powerless love is anemic
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 29, 2016, 07:52:46 pm »

I honestly think we need a chain of command to keep things flowing-free form games need strong direction. If we spend every turn waiting for everyone to vote on a destination, we're going to make everything run slow as sludge-one guy can hold us up for weeks, and if the discussion peters out no one might be willing to go ahead. I know, because I've tried this. It doesn't work. When we are on planet, people have latitude to do what they want-but overall decisions about the ship need to be left to just a few, active people. IMO. A Captain and a second in command, and not much more.

I have pretty strong feelings about this.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=154786.75 <--take a look at what happened to my game where just less than half a dozen people had to decide on three or four ways forward. A spirited discussion, then it just ends and no one picks it up, because no one wants to make a choice. LOL. I should have killed them all by now...as gig will probably blow our ship up if we spend too much time floating in space waiting for Tiruin to post. Srry Tiru. :I

This game is going to have an infinite amount of ways forward. We NEED a Captain to chart our course-it'll be up to that persons personal IRL and OOC charisma, however, to ensure everyone is happy with these choices. Otherwise mutiny.

I'm not against OOC or IC discussion about strategy, either. But in the end we need to draft some unlucky person to actually make that final decision-to go ahead and move us forward, and allow Gig to advance the game.

Good point there. I'm sympathetic to your wish to not have the game hung up on lazy/distracted/vacillating players all the time. It's an important aspect of the leadership issue that I hadn't really considered. However, if your proposal is implemented, then I'd like to see the IC officers exercise restraint in the use of their authority, making unilateral strategic decisions only when no strong player majority emerges. Officers being fully in control during battles is not a problem for me.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 01, 2016, 07:39:09 am »

Since I'm the only pilot, and thus, a bit irreplaceable, I'll volunteer.
Someone forgets that I'm also a pilot/navigator :P

Good point there. I'm sympathetic to your wish to not have the game hung up on lazy/distracted/vacillating players all the time. It's an important aspect of the leadership issue that I hadn't really considered. However, if your proposal is implemented, then I'd like to see the IC officers exercise restraint in the use of their authority, making unilateral strategic decisions only when no strong player majority emerges. Officers being fully in control during battles is not a problem for me.
If we keep it open to suggestion, maybe that also follows bonding moments between people if conflict arises and people juuuust have the right attitude in facing it. :)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13