Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Vermin Adventurers  (Read 2099 times)

SwedishLemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Vermin Adventurers
« on: February 25, 2016, 11:57:15 am »

So, has anyone tried modded vermin that are playable as adventurers yet? It's hard. Like, really hard. I made a fairy adventurer and every creature would move 100 ticks before she could get in one step. It was so impossibly slow that I made her basically kill herself by attacking a camp of bandits, where she was tackled to death.

Tackled. To. Death. She died of bloodloss after her 'basically everything' skid across the ground, opening up arteries left and right. And it was only one guy who tackled her, and he only charged at her once.

Are worms raw-editable? How hard would it be to be an intelligent worm adventurer, I wonder?

Vermin-adventurers are the ultimate challenge for those looking for !!FUN!! in Adventure Mode.

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vermin Adventurers
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 12:03:42 pm »

I'm not sure if I'd qualify waiting 100 ticks per enemy tick !FUN!...I'm pretty sure that's just considered... not fun.

On another note, I thought worm adventurers were already playable via vanilla, weren't they?

Elfhater69

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 04:03:54 pm »

I'm not sure if I'd qualify waiting 100 ticks per enemy tick !FUN!...I'm pretty sure that's just considered... not fun.

On another note, I thought worm adventurers were already playable via vanilla, weren't they?
Yup i had a writer worm man in .05

SwedishLemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 04:34:17 pm »

I'm talking about literal worms, not worm-men. Worms with no arms or legs, or any humanoid structure. The type you find shuffling in the grass.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 04:44:20 pm »

Most vermin are so small that they do not really have any blood in their body. Even the slightest scratch could leave them dead in an instant from blood loss.

All non-randomly-generated creatures are in the raws, and can be edited.

SwedishLemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 04:51:51 pm »

But that's my point. More people should be vermin adventurers for the ultimate challenge. Imagine killing a hydra as a beetle.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 04:57:48 pm »

You can be a monarch butterfly man.

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
  • Ischrotaur Axe Lord [SUPERNATURAL][STRANGE_MOODS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 05:21:22 pm »

I'm playing as a demigod Kobolth (heavily modified kobold) and it's at body size is at 25,000 and trying to do battle even with my OP character with bigger folk is a lengthy ordeal but once the kill is made it's sweet.
"I'll make my own way." - Max Rockatansky

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2016, 05:38:34 pm »

Played as a (wingless) pixie adventurer before, though I really, really couldn't fathom doing so for too long if I didn't also remove blood. Sure, it made him practically invulnerable to strikes and (most) long falls, but he's still had plenty of game-ending weaknesses, such as being:

• terminally vulnerable to grapples
  • incapable of carrying anything larger than a candy coin without slowing to a crawl (though jumping around did help some)
  • unable to wear any armor or clothing, OR, if you did have mods/tools to do such, slowing to a crawl unless you grind to legendary in armor

As for the "challenge" bit, highly depends if the adventurer have both hands and/or are intelligent, and even when they have neither, they can still throw crap just about as well as any other rookie adventurer. In that latter case, such an adventurer wouldn't be all that much different to playing as, say, a pig.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 05:46:11 pm by ShinQuickMan »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2016, 05:53:59 pm »

A goat adventurer would have been trendy.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2016, 05:55:45 pm »

If you make fairy adventurers playable, do fortress workshops get the option to fit armour for faries?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2016, 06:00:52 pm »

Player-vermin are not treated as regular vermin, but are instead treated as proper creatures. If you were to make ants playable in Fortress Mode, for instance, you should be able to fit armour for them, and they would not be hunted by cats. But again, they have little blood, and no hands to perform jobs or grasp weapons with, making gameplay incredibly difficult.

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2016, 06:25:36 pm »

If you make fairy adventurers playable, do fortress workshops get the option to fit armour for faries?

A job for the sissiest of sissy elves haha

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2016, 06:46:27 pm »

considering the bug with darkages not applying the correct animal person creature variant for great jumping spider people so that they are really the size 1 than vanilla counter parts 30,000
playing a vermin adventurer would more likely really good at stealth bad at holding any items with out suffering weight issues and massive slow down.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

L0rd L33t

• Bay Watcher
  • My Life for Auir!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2016, 07:36:13 pm »

Imagine being a mosquito adventurer! Mod it so you can be speedy, dodgy and EXTREMELY stealthy, injecting a syndrome into bandits with your bite!

...and avoid toads and green tree frogs like the plague! Mod them to aggressively hunt flies and mosquitoes (with their long tongue if it's possible) !
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 07:41:25 pm by L0rd L33t »
Tantrum Spirals in a Nutshell:
Dwarf 1 is throwing a tantrum!
Dwarf 2: A fight? Count me in!
Dwarf 2: EVERYONE! GET IN HERE!
Dwarf 3: EVERYONE! GET IN HERE!
Dwarf 4: EVERYONE! GET IN HERE!
Pages: [1] 2