Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Suggestions for old 2D version to try?  (Read 1589 times)

Night Stalker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Suggestions for old 2D version to try?
« on: December 12, 2007, 02:17:00 am »

I've only recently started playing Dwarf Fortress, and I want to try out the older  two-dimensional version of the game that I keep reading about.

Could anyone recommend a good, stable version of the 2D game for me to play around with?

Corbine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for old 2D version to try?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 03:30:00 am »

I still say we need Dwarf Fortress Classic mode, updated DF bug fixes, but with the good ol' fashion DF game there.  :D
hat

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 03:47:00 am »

0.23.130.23a is the version right before the Z axis came out. It should be stable.

Motive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 07:32:00 am »

The pre-packaged mountains of old always annoyed me, it really limited the replay value. Not to downplay the replay value of classic DF because the "sandbox" nature of the game makes your own creativity the limit. The current version is just so meaty and deep it blows my mind every single day.

Given further thought, classic 2d DF is a great place to learn game mechanics without completely overwhelming yourself, although a little overwhelming is inevitable.

ERoberts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 08:46:00 am »

Maybe Toady could add a "tutorial mode" that is essentially the old 2D map structure with Z-levels added to it.

Come to think of it, that could be fun! you could dig below the cave river instead   of bridgeing it, and imagine being able to pump magma up a couple of z levels before spewing it into the outside world with a BoatMurdered-style "Fuck the World" ultimate weapon.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 09:29:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Grek:
<STRONG>0.23.130.23a is the version right before the Z axis came out. It should be stable.</STRONG>
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

elipsis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 10:59:00 pm »

I really missed the dynamics of the cave river flooding, and how common 'river/chasm raids' were   :(

[ December 12, 2007: Message edited by: elipsis ]

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 11:01:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by elipsis:
<STRONG>I really missed the dynamics of the cave river flooding, and how common 'river/chasm raids' were    :(

[ December 12, 2007: Message edited by: elipsis ]</STRONG>

Hermit mode was sure fun in 2d.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 11:37:00 pm »

quote:
The current version is just so meaty and deep...

Tee hee. Meaty. Just like my fortress after I finally took care of those hordes of pesky puppies. Mmm - +Puppy Meat Biscuts+
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.