Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20

Author Topic: King of the Mafia 5: Hail to the King  (Read 34463 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: King of the Mafia 5: Round 1, Day 1. (7/7) (Queue: 6)
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2016, 06:05:36 pm »

Worth pointing out there that I was playing a third party, so not really as invested in getting things right.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2016, 06:23:21 pm »

Wolf
Why not all of them?
I thought it might be informative to see which you picked.

That would be acceptable, but I'd rather you actually find scum.
Standard.

Reactive, because along with day action users they make very dangerous king mafia.
Reasonable.

Dunno.  As far as I remember KotM 4 only had one goo role (me as toxic goo) and I haven't read the earlier ones, so predictions by me would be rather silly.
Ah, did you think that was an effective role? Like, would you want to lynch a toxic goo if you didn't know anything else about anyone?

Hector
An alignment cop would likely be town in this instance, as the scum know who the town is so wouldn't need to inspect others.
Shakerag picked alignment cop in the last game as a cover. Doesn't mean he couldn't have been scum.

NQT: what's with the loaded questions?
What's loaded about any of the questions?

Deus
NQT: if someone was being vague enough that their claim was only about their role being reactive or proactive with no other context, I'd likely assume that their role had no bearing on the situation as it currently was and wasn't threatening regardless of what they claimed it was and whether they were telling the truth or not.
This? This is a safe response. I liked 4mask's answer much better. Ask me a question.

Shakerag
3 - Then why not wait until you got back?
Why wait when I could get an answer in the mean time?

I need to clear myself now?  Also this is a terrible plan.  Who's to say that whomever is king mafia will deliberately choose not to kill tonight?  Or gets roleblocked?  Or I get roleblocked/redirected/etc.?

Not to mention that you could lie about losing your role D2 and/or you have some ability that makes ‼fun‼ for those who target you.
We all need to clear ourselves. It's the game. And yeah there's a lot of things that could snag this. But I'm offering you a way to move forward. Assuming you don't target OSG for no reason, there's only a 1/5 chance you'll hit the scum. 4/5 chance you'll hit town. I'm saying, target me, steal my role. It'll be worth your trouble if you're town. You'd know if I tricked you into targeting me for !FUN! because you'd have my role! And if scum wastes a turn not killing or redirecting/blocking you... that's great! It's a win/win. If you don't steal my role, I'm not going to say "you must be scum", so mafia disrupting you would be pointless.

Persus
Define popular. Gut reaction though? Yes.
I mean, more than one person picking it. Interesting gut reaction.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2016, 06:46:21 pm »

Wolf
Dunno.  As far as I remember KotM 4 only had one goo role (me as toxic goo) and I haven't read the earlier ones, so predictions by me would be rather silly.
Ah, did you think that was an effective role? Like, would you want to lynch a toxic goo if you didn't know anything else about anyone?
If a toxic goo has claimed, they've already lost their advantage.  Same goes for most goo roles.  So not unless they were mafia, no.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2016, 06:49:09 pm »

Deus
NQT: if someone was being vague enough that their claim was only about their role being reactive or proactive with no other context, I'd likely assume that their role had no bearing on the situation as it currently was and wasn't threatening regardless of what they claimed it was and whether they were telling the truth or not.
This? This is a safe response. I liked 4mask's answer much better. Ask me a question.
No, this is the logical response. Someone deliberately claiming so vaguely in a vacuum (regardless of whether they claim active or reactive) would be doing so to exaggerate the threat they pose. Why ask such a vague question if what you consider to be a reasonable answer requires the answerer to impose their own conditions on the situation (eg. 4mask replying in relation to a king mafia with a reactive power rather than any player)?

Shakerag: So, did Ice Cream actually resolve on you or did it fail and you're still a yellow goo (with an ice cream)?
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2016, 07:18:58 pm »

Yes, I was ice cream man, and yes, I wanted to reduce the power of the best players. I suppose you are a role that gets rid of any role of a person who targets you?
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 26, 2016, 07:20:05 pm »

Yes, I was ice cream man, and yes, I wanted to reduce the power of the best players. I suppose you are a role that gets rid of any role of a person who targets you?
He claimed yellow goo, yes.  Also, as one of the players who was likely on your "to nerf" list, can I just say that I disagree heartily with your plan?

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2016, 07:27:41 pm »

I need to clear myself now?  Also this is a terrible plan.  Who's to say that whomever is king mafia will deliberately choose not to kill tonight?  Or gets roleblocked?  Or I get roleblocked/redirected/etc.?

Not to mention that you could lie about losing your role D2 and/or you have some ability that makes ‼fun‼ for those who target you.
We all need to clear ourselves. It's the game. And yeah there's a lot of things that could snag this. But I'm offering you a way to move forward. Assuming you don't target OSG for no reason, there's only a 1/5 chance you'll hit the scum. 4/5 chance you'll hit town. I'm saying, target me, steal my role. It'll be worth your trouble if you're town. You'd know if I tricked you into targeting me for !FUN! because you'd have my role! And if scum wastes a turn not killing or redirecting/blocking you... that's great! It's a win/win. If you don't steal my role, I'm not going to say "you must be scum", so mafia disrupting you would be pointless.
And what if the mafia don't kill?  Yeah, they didn't kill that night, but if they have an active role they can use it (thus also gaining some honesty points if/when it's role claim time) and there's more often than not at least one town killing role to do their dirty work for them.  On top of that, if your role is in any way useful why would you want to lose it to someone you don't know the alignment of?

My two cents?  You're trying to bait targeting so you can pull some nifty trick.  I just have to figure out motive, and a good long look at the role list may prove enlightening.  I'll be back later.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2016, 07:39:28 pm »

NQT

An alignment cop would likely be town in this instance, as the scum know who the town is so wouldn't need to inspect others.
Shakerag picked alignment cop in the last game as a cover. Doesn't mean he couldn't have been scum.

I know, but I don't particularly want to fill in the blanks for people who haven't already thought of them in case they use the ideas later when they're scum, aye?

Just because I think something's likely, doesn't mean I think it's actually the case.

NQT: what's with the loaded questions?
What's loaded about any of the questions?

Hector, say I'm a cop, would you like it if I inspected you?

The optimal answer is "yes". Saying "no" implies you have something to hide. Question could thus be reworded "do you want me to think that you have anything you want to hide?"

Deus, would you be more threatened by a player who claimed to a have a reactive role or a proactive role (i.e. a role that does something to people targeting them, vs. a role that targets people)?

Answering "reactive" implies the person likely has a proactive ability. Answering "proactive" is a bit more open to interpretation, and could potentially be analysed wrong a lot more often than it could be analysed correctly (a person not wanting to have a kill action applied to them, for example, being misconstrued as scum because they don't want to be inspected/blocked etc.)

It's a pussyfoot rolefish, really.

Persus, Shakerag claims to have a goo role. Do you think goos will be popular?

"Did you choose a goo role?"

Did you gain any insight of the four people who answered your questions?

I'm loving the not-quite-an-OMGUS-FoS, though.

4mask

And what if the mafia don't kill?  Yeah, they didn't kill that night, but if they have an active role they can use it (thus also gaining some honesty points if/when it's role claim time) and there's more often than not at least one town killing role to do their dirty work for them.  On top of that, if your role is in any way useful why would you want to lose it to someone you don't know the alignment of?

My two cents?  You're trying to bait targeting so you can pull some nifty trick.  I just have to figure out motive, and a good long look at the role list may prove enlightening.  I'll be back later.

There are hundreds of roles in that list, what makes you think you can even narrow it down? This assuming you're even correct with your current analysis on NQT... perhaps you just want to look like you're doing something.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2016, 07:40:44 pm »

He claimed yellow goo, yes.  Also, as one of the players who was likely on your "to nerf" list, can I just say that I disagree heartily with your plan?
Well, I can't anymore. I'm gonna sulk now.  >:(
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2016, 07:47:52 pm »

You do realise that only one of them can be scum at any one time, aye?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2016, 08:41:13 pm »

There are hundreds of roles in that list, what makes you think you can even narrow it down? This assuming you're even correct with your current analysis on NQT... perhaps you just want to look like you're doing something.
Hundreds of roles, but only a few where it would make sense to bait that.  That's mostly a thought experiment anyway, but I do maintain that NQT has a motive beyond what has been stated because this is very un-NQT-like.  I said "be back later" because I was going to a social event and legitimately wasn't going to be able to respond, but I also wanted to see how people interpreted my leaving so I left the reason unstated and tacked it on to the end of an action that would take some time for me to accomplish.

What did I hope to gain from it?  Data points with which to analyze people.  What did I learn from it?  Since you're the only one who commented on it during that time period, not as much as I hoped.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: King of the Mafia 5: Round 1, Night 0. (7/7) (Queue: 5)
« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2016, 09:16:03 pm »

Vote Count:

4maskwolf:
Notquitethere: hector13
Deus Asmoth: 4maskwolf, Notquitethere,
origamiscienceguy: Shakerag,
Persus13:
Shakerag:
hector13:

No Lynch:

Not voting: Deus Asmoth, origamiscienceguy, Persus13,

Day 1 will last until Monday 2/29 at 11 PM EST.  4 to hammer.

In danger of prod:  Deus Asmoth, origamiscienceguy

Remember, the activity requirement is voting, even if it for no lynch, the same person, or immediately removed.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 26, 2016, 09:17:46 pm »

Unvote

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 27, 2016, 02:35:30 am »

OSG, do you think that hosing random players of their powers would have been more likely to help or hinder your faction?

Hector what's actually wrong with the way NQT's been asking questions from your point of view?
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2016, 06:08:50 am »

Wolf
If a toxic goo has claimed, they've already lost their advantage.  Same goes for most goo roles.  So not unless they were mafia, no.
Make sense.

What you've said is all true but nevertheless, if the mafia don't kill that's still one less townie being killed and that's really what we want. Well, it's what I want. There are lots of reasons I might not mind losing my role.

There's a lot of things that it would be more plausible for me to be than the thing that I am, but I applaud your willingness to get to the bottom of things.

DA
No, this is the logical response. Someone deliberately claiming so vaguely in a vacuum (regardless of whether they claim active or reactive) would be doing so to exaggerate the threat they pose. Why ask such a vague question if what you consider to be a reasonable answer requires the answerer to impose their own conditions on the situation (eg. 4mask replying in relation to a king mafia with a reactive power rather than any player)?
OK. I don't want to dig around in a discussion on how reasonable it is to expand on hypothetical questions posed to you. I ask questions to try to get a handle on how you might be seeing the game.

Hector
It's a pussyfoot rolefish, really.
Yes, I'm trying to figure out what sort of roles players might have. This will help me make decisions. We know that the King has an active role (the mafiakill) so this is all helpful stuff. What's the problem with that?

Did you gain any insight of the four people who answered your questions?
Yes, I'm getting town vibes from Wolf and Persus a little bit more than I was. Do you have any feelings about any of the other players yet?

I'm loving the not-quite-an-OMGUS-FoS, though.
OK, I've changed it to a full vote. Are you even happier now? Attacking someone for questioning doesn't seem like a pro-town move.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20