Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20

Author Topic: King of the Mafia 5: Hail to the King  (Read 34455 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: King of the Mafia 5: Round 1, Day 1. (7/7) (Queue: 5)
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2016, 01:01:24 pm »

Shakerag

Well, if your ability was Ice Cream Man, then that was me.  So, scumbag, trying to target the stronger players first to ensure they lose their abilities so as to make your odds of winning better?

hector13: Let's pretend OSG said what his ability was right away.  How would that information change your play?

It probably wouldn't.

Multitude of questions:

Should a particular answer to any question change my play, though? (beyond "okay, this answer makes me think they're [alignment] so I'll [action based on that assumption]")

Why do you think that because OSG chose this particular role, that he's that particular alignment?

Assume you are correct in your that OSG targeted you for the reasons you stated. Why do you think he targeted you as opposed to one of the other "strong" players like 4mask or NQT?

I like your claim. How do you think it will affect the other players?

NQT

Hector, say I'm a cop, would you like it if I inspected you?

I wouldn't be bothered by it. Thoughts regarding cops:

An alignment cop would likely be town in this instance, as the scum know who the town is so wouldn't need to inspect others.

Role cop is a little bit more ambiguous, since scum might want to know which roles the town have to better tailor who they want to try to get out of the game, while town might just be curious what else is in the game for when they get to be KING MAFIA.

NQT: what's with the loaded questions?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
Re: King of the Mafia 5: Round 1, Day 1. (7/7) (Queue: 6)
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2016, 01:40:10 pm »

NQT:
Shakerag
Seeing as that I've never played in a KotM before, I suppose I'm just going to wing it.
Shakerag, you're losing your memory in your old age or you're just making stuff up.

Do -you- have a strategy for winning, oh great Mafia subforum representative?
Yeah. For this round at least. I'll explain it in my denouement post when I've found all the clues.

Why did you even bother asking this question?  Why make OSG look for the role?
I was about to leave the house and didn't have time to look myself.

Anyway, I'll save you the trouble; it was Yellow Goo.
Plausible.
1 - Huh.  Okay, I totally forgot about that.
2 - It's always interesting when I have to look up a word.  Doesn't happen often enough.  And thanks for the non-answer.
3 - Then why not wait until you got back?
4 - You betcha.

hector13:
It probably wouldn't.

Multitude of questions:

Should a particular answer to any question change my play, though? (beyond "okay, this answer makes me think they're [alignment] so I'll [action based on that assumption]")

Why do you think that because OSG chose this particular role, that he's that particular alignment?

Assume you are correct in your that OSG targeted you for the reasons you stated. Why do you think he targeted you as opposed to one of the other "strong" players like 4mask or NQT?

If it wouldn't change your play, then why ask the question?

1 - Potentially.  Although I don't know you and your playstyle very well, so I'm not sure I can answer that question.  But, for the sake of ruminating, if I learned that someone had an ability like Toxic Goo or Nexus, then that would potentially affect what I would do at night.
2 - Ask me this again after OSG responds.
3 - I have a better win/loss ratio than either of them1.  Clearly I am the bigger force to be reckoned with.
4 - Most likely piss them off. 

1Based on older data.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2016, 01:43:03 pm »

Thoughts regarding cops:

An alignment cop would likely be town in this instance, as the scum know who the town is so wouldn't need to inspect others.

Role cop is a little bit more ambiguous, since scum might want to know which roles the town have to better tailor who they want to try to get out of the game, while town might just be curious what else is in the game for when they get to be KING MAFIA.
Do remember that this game contains a lot of room for obfuscation and mindfuckery.  I almost won KotM 4 because NQT removed me from existence when I tried to make a kill and TDS, who claimed an action on me (which failed because I wasn't there at the moment), got accused as King Mafia having failed his kill and lynched.  In a game with such a variety of roles, it can be very beneficial to choose not to kill/use your normal role as king mafia if you think you can get away with it.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2016, 02:50:58 pm »

hector13:
It probably wouldn't.

Multitude of questions:

If it wouldn't change your play, then why ask the question?

It would force him into a position of claiming something that others might be able to dispute, at some point.

For example, if someone acts on you and retains their ability, you're not yellow goo. Whether someone wants to risk that or not is another thing entirely.

2 - Ask me this again after OSG responds.

Acceptable.

3 - I have a better win/loss ratio than either of them1.  Clearly I am the bigger force to be reckoned with.

A win/loss ratio is probably not the best measure of an individual's ability in what is, for the most part, a team game.

I'll wait to see how things turn out between you and OSG before pressing that further.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2016, 04:23:02 pm »

PFP
Unvote

Shakerag, here's how you're clearing yourself: target me with ice cream tonight. If there's a mafia kill and I lose my role, then you're town.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2016, 04:37:42 pm »

NQT: if someone was being vague enough that their claim was only about their role being reactive or proactive with no other context, I'd likely assume that their role had no bearing on the situation as it currently was and wasn't threatening regardless of what they claimed it was and whether they were telling the truth or not.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2016, 05:16:30 pm »

NQT:
PFP
Unvote

Shakerag, here's how you're clearing yourself: target me with ice cream tonight. If there's a mafia kill and I lose my role, then you're town.
I need to clear myself now?  Also this is a terrible plan.  Who's to say that whomever is king mafia will deliberately choose not to kill tonight?  Or gets roleblocked?  Or I get roleblocked/redirected/etc.?

Not to mention that you could lie about losing your role D2 and/or you have some ability that makes ‼fun‼ for those who target you.

This feels suspiciously not up to your usual caliber of play. 

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2016, 05:23:00 pm »

His role fishing isn't necessarily suspicious, I just asked him why he did it.  Am I not allowed to ask questions without finding something suspicious?
Its hard to rate tone on the internet, so I thought your question was taking an agressive tone, which I associate with being suspicious of someone. Similarly I'm reading this post as taking a defensive tone beacuse of my vote on you.

Unvote.

Persus13: Okay, first off, what's with all the "13"s?  Secondly, do you need some aloe for that burn?  Thirdly, in such an intimate game, do you really think that quickposting at night is a solid idea?
I've had this username for 4 years, and changing it now would confuse a lot of people. What burn? I was quickposting at night because I was busy today and I would prefer not to get prodded for inactivity immediately in the game.

How so?

Persus, Shakerag claims to have a goo role. Do you think goos will be popular?
Define popular. Gut reaction though? Yes.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2016, 05:26:25 pm »

His role fishing isn't necessarily suspicious, I just asked him why he did it.  Am I not allowed to ask questions without finding something suspicious?
Its hard to rate tone on the internet, so I thought your question was taking an agressive tone, which I associate with being suspicious of someone. Similarly I'm reading this post as taking a defensive tone beacuse of my vote on you.

Unvote.
Assume everything I say is said in the sassiest, most disrespectful way possible unless otherwise noted.

How so?
It's certainly odd from NQT, I've never seen him do anything like this until D2 at the earliest.  Yes, he's usually "plan guy", but his plans generally aren't so... shallow.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2016, 05:31:11 pm »

Unvote.
Assume everything I say is said in the sassiest, most disrespectful way possible unless otherwise noted.
Understood.

How so?
It's certainly odd from NQT, I've never seen him do anything like this until D2 at the earliest.  Yes, he's usually "plan guy", but his plans generally aren't so... shallow.
Well, I'm also the guy NQT decided to try to lynch day 1 without any explanation at all, so my experience with NQT's plans have been slightly colored by that.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2016, 05:33:15 pm »

Unvote.
Understood.
Okay, I was being slightly silly, but generally if something could be taken in a snarky way that's probably how I intended it.

How so?
Well, I'm also the guy NQT decided to try to lynch day 1 without any explanation at all, so my experience with NQT's plans have been slightly colored by that.
When was this?

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2016, 05:44:15 pm »

Sigtext

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2016, 05:46:25 pm »

Favorite post:
Town don't need to examine my points, I'm on their side. Persus isn't meant to address my points, he's meant to die. Keep up.
Sigtext

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2016, 05:50:02 pm »

Favorite post:
Town don't need to examine my points, I'm on their side. Persus isn't meant to address my points, he's meant to die. Keep up.
It's worth pointing out that I had a quasi-Jester type role in that game. It's not my usual mode of play.

(Full reply in a sec...)

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2016, 06:00:14 pm »

My favorite NQT sequence:
Quote from: NQT in Good/Ugly Chat
OK, I've updated my analysis (same link as before). We need to kill Wolf today (all pointers say that he can't be scum). I've just asked Persus to confirm that we'll definitely win if the last union player dies.

Quote from: NQT is Good/Ugly Chat
Wolf is scum?! That's not true! That's impossible!
My first impressions of NQT can be summed up as "you dun goofed" particularly since he gave me the information I needed to more thoroughly convince him I was town, so I don't have the same baggage you do, Persus. :P
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20