Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Santa's factory and his 100 dwarves  (Read 10535 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Santa's factory and his 100 dwarves
« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2007, 12:07:00 am »

By the way (for the Degrinchinator, to ease maintenance), you can make a resettable triggers-once-only device using a repeating pressure plate where you would normally have a one-time one, along with (somewhere else) a 1-7 water-sensing pressure plate in an enclosed 1-tile room, with a hatch above it, and water on top of the hatch. Hook the first pressure plate to the hatch, hook the water-sensing pressure plate to whatever you want to trigger once.

To make it resettable, add pumps and such to pull the water back out of the 1-tile room. The ideal setup is 3 stories high:

Here's a design for it, with a view from the side:
(@@ is a pump, _ is the hatch, ^ is the water-sensing pressure plate, O is a wall, * is a tile designated as a pond to get the initial water into the system, and lastly === represents a power supply and a gear to disable it, which you can link to a lever. You can add doors, walls, and stairs as you like.)

code:

===*
O @@_O       pump this way -->
O @@ O   <-- pump this way
OOOO^O

Warning: If the pumps are powered when the hatch opens, the pressure plate will never trigger because the pumps suck the water off the pressure plate's tile the instant it lands on it.

[ December 20, 2007: Message edited by: Shadowlord ]

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 20, 2007, 02:20:00 am »

Yeah, that'd work. It'd be slower, though, and speed is kinda critical.

MyBeardIsOnFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 20, 2007, 08:16:00 am »

Doesn't encasing in ice destroy the pressure plate anyway?

I never thought that aquifer could be used against attackers like this. That was so ingenious.

iantspider stands before you!
Giantspider...killed Yourlast Adventurer
Giantspider...killed Yo Momma

Stij

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 20, 2007, 12:36:00 pm »

Oh man, best trap ever. I have gotta make one of these.

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 20, 2007, 04:24:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by MyBeardIsOnFire:
<STRONG>Doesn't encasing in ice destroy the pressure plate anyway?</STRONG>

Surprisingly enough, no. I encased it in ice at least once on a test run.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #80 on: December 21, 2007, 02:06:00 am »

Hey, I'm sorry guys, but I'm just going to be holding this up. A big order came in, so I have to forfeit my turn. Good Luck!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

RustedAxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 21, 2007, 11:46:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by PTTG??:
<STRONG>Hey, I'm sorry guys, but I'm just going to be holding this up. A big order came in, so I have to forfeit my turn. Good Luck!</STRONG>

Oh, this is sudden.  I'll get on with it then.

Lazy_Perfectionist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 21, 2007, 06:16:00 pm »

Have you guys seen the Santa tileset? It should make your screenshots a bit more interesting.
 Bloat325, ADDITIONAL LIQUID TYPES, (Future): Candidates for new flowing "liquids" include sand, oil, mud, blood of various sorts, slime, farm products like grain and beer for the beer fountain. Only a limited number of materials from plant raws like beer

Arkan15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 22, 2007, 01:49:00 am »

The Degrinchinator is the greatest thing I've ever seen.
IP AND TEAR YOUR GUTS!
YOU ARE HUGE! THAT MEANS YOU HAVE HUGE GUTS!

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 22, 2007, 05:38:00 am »

Would it aso be possible to build the same assembly one level lower on the other side of the canyon, have that flood first and then use the original trap as secondary weapon for anything that wasn't inside yet during the first wave? Megabeasts right after a siege are generaly pretty hard to deal with otherwise.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

RustedAxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 22, 2007, 03:54:00 pm »

Alright, I finished up Vanigo's turn, (bit of fall and winter part).  So here's the save, and I gotta say, wow, I was amazed and I learned a lot from how you guys have managed this fort.  Thanks  :)

Dwarfie Maze

Anyways, what I did was just make a maze to show the difficulty in finding Santa's base of operations.

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 23, 2007, 11:33:00 pm »

Beard, I think you're up again.

MyBeardIsOnFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 24, 2007, 09:45:00 am »

Got it, but while I'll most likely finish it sometime today, I won't have internet access to post the summary when I do. I'll be posting it on the 25th.

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 27, 2007, 04:02:00 pm »

Beard? You still netless (which is kind of an inane question to ask, but whatever)?

MyBeardIsOnFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 27, 2007, 06:45:00 pm »

Did someone mention we're cursed? Because I'm starting to believe we are.

Somewhere by the end of my year this game froze on me. After killing it and restarting I realized I only saved once. In early spring. Yeah. Sorry that replaying took so long, but better late than never huh?

There may be some differences between the screenshots, but that's because I didn't recapture some of them during the replay. Most of the general events were the same, except for artifacts and some minor differences.

Year 1055

1st Granite - It's the start of a new year again and I was taking a look around the fortress. We have achieved much - having defeated a Titan and a siege of goblins, boasting a well-equipped military any town would be envious of and this ingenious contraption we named the Degrinchinator, which I still can't quite figure out. But where is my dream? Where are all the toys?

2nd Granite - I have checked the stockpile records. We have 3300 toys of various kind, and while it's a nice round number and everything, I'm surprised this is all we have after all this time.
The onslaughts of evil have distracted us. Nobody is working in the craft shops;

the forges are clogged making weapons of war;

part of the dwarves have been working on a weird maze outside;

while the rest are either idling around in the dining room, sparring in barracks, or taking a break. Nobody is mining for more rock or ore. I have work to do.

3rd Granite - I have restarted our workshops and taken everyone off masonry duty. Anyone work capable will now either make toys or haul them. I have also disbanded all of our military except for the most skilled few. We could really use more haulers, and having lots of soldiers is redundant when we have the Degrinchinator.

12th Granite - I ordered our pathways expanded and some new stairways dug out...

...much to the dismay of our noble citizens. Then again, when did they get their own private rooms?

13th Granite - All the designations I placed were left untouched and all our useful workers are on strike. What is it that they don't like? Are lavish meals and wine every day not enough for them? I found some spare picks laying around and I'm about to bring a few new faces into the mining profession.

15th Granite - Why? Tell me, Zuglar, why?

1st Slate - One of the miners has finally gotten some work done and I immediately expanded the forging area. We can make metal toys two times faster, now if only we had some more ore...

I have also been filling up for the lazy furnace operators and stone crafters and have been enjoying the work. They should hurry and get back to it, it's really fun!

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7