Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: secret to transform into animals questions  (Read 2032 times)

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
secret to transform into animals questions
« on: February 24, 2016, 06:51:22 am »

hello im new and i made this account only to ask this.
so, i have been working quite some time in a creature that can transform into animals using reactions and syndrome stuff about CE_BODY_TRANSFORM but im totally unexperienced in reactions, abilities, syndromes and castes and i cannot get it to work
i want that the creature transforms after a set time about 10 seconds into a bear with 80% chance and if he doesnt transform he then becomes a giant bear, both transformations about 12 hours and a cooldown of 24 hours. they can only target self and can choose from many animals at start.
the problem is that this doesnt work at all as intended and i dont know how to make this work.
also, is possible to mod secrets so they give more abilities like the example i gave before but different animals? my race is going to be related a lot with animals and have a mix of humans and elfs civ (sorry if i made grammar mistakes i dont talk english very well)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 07:31:43 am by randomgenericusername »
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

SwedishLemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: race that can transform into animals questions
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 10:04:14 pm »

Secrets can be modded to give more abilities, but they will only be pursued for the reason of 'immortality' unless they're a curse.

Anywho, nobody can help you with your creature's syndrome and interaction if you don't post it here.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 07:45:55 am »

is possible to add many similar secrets (transform wolf, transform eagle...) and add a caste of my custom race that knows all the secrets?
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.

SwedishLemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 09:28:30 am »

You can give them the interactions to do those things and make them caste-specific, but you can't 'give' any race secrets. In other words, their transformation abilities will be listed as natural abilities and thus not appear in legends mode.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 09:53:06 am »

i remember that giving a creature the SUPERNATURAL tag gives them all secrets related to its sphere, i think? im not sure because i still cant get the custom caste working form creatures
also the interactions have to be in a different raw file? there is raws for entity and creature buy cant find one for abilities like dragonfire or spit neither for syndromes
edit: it was interactions_standard
edit2: now im having problems related to the target tags i have no idea how they work, i want to make a secret that when learned gives a syndrome that gives an ability to give self a syndrome that transforms into bear for a limited amount of time

[INTERACTION:SECRET_BEAR]
   [I_SOURCE:SECRET]
      [IS_NAME:the secrets of bears]
      [IS_SPHERE:ANIMALS]
      [IS_SECRET_GOAL:IMMORTALITY]
      [IS_SECRET:SUPERNATURAL_LEARNING_POSSIBLE]
      [IS_SECRET:MUNDANE_RESEARCH_POSSIBLE]
      [IS_SECRET:MUNDANE_TEACHING_POSSIBLE]
      [IS_SECRET:MUNDANE_RECORDING_POSSIBLE:objects/text/book_instruction.txt:objects/text/secret_animal.txt]
   [I_EFFECT:ADD_SYNDROME]
      [SYNDROME]
and im stuck here
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 11:15:37 am by randomgenericusername »

soul4hdwn

• Bay Watcher
  • make due with what you have
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 07:42:06 pm »

under [syndrome] add [CE_BODY_TRANSFORMATION:START:0:END:x] where x is however long you wish it to last, will require a lot of twerking as fortress mode is different time scale.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 08:33:03 pm »

about how many time units is a day in adventure mode? also the problem i had is with the target tags since i dont understand how they work (i want the ability to only be targetable on self) i got confused in the part where the secret grants a syndrome thats gives an ability that gives another syndrome to be able to transform

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2016, 09:24:04 am »

bump
can anyone help me?  :(

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2016, 11:45:26 am »

Per http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Time, in Fortress mode there are 1200 ticks per day and in Adventure mode there are 86400 ticks per day.  In Fortress mode, 1 tick = 1.2 minutes and in Adventure mode, 1 tick = 1 second.

I'm not very familiar with interactions and I'm not seeing anything about "the secret grants a syndrome thats gives an ability that gives another syndrome to be able to transform"

will require a lot of twerking as fortress mode is different time scale.
I assume you meant tweaking, but now I can't get the image of a fortress full of twerking dwarves out of my head.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2016, 01:34:35 pm »

what i mean is that i dont want the secret transform you in a bear, i want to give the ability to transform and for that i would need an interaction and another syndrome
the secret its a syndrome
edit: this is what i have now but i still dont get how the target tokens work (what is A? how i make it to only be able to target self? is range needed?)

[IS_SECRET:MUNDANE_RECORDING_POSSIBLE:objects/text/book_instruction.txt:objects/text/secret_animal.txt]
   [I_TARGET:A:CREATURE]
      [IT_LOCATION:CONTEXT_CREATURE]
      [IE_TARGET:A]
      [IE_IMMEDIATE]
      [SYNDROME]
         [CE_CAN_DO_INTERACTION:START:0]
            [CDI:ADV_NAME:morph into a bear]
            [CDI:INTERACTION:MORPH_BEAR]
            [CDI:TARGET:A:SELF_ONLY]
            [CDI:WAIT_PERIOD:86400]

[INTERACTION:MORPH_BEAR]
      [IE_IMMEDIATE]
      [SYNDROME]
         [CE_BODY_TRANSFORMATION:START:10:END:43200]
            [CE:CREATURE:BEAR_GRIZZLY:DEFAULT]

do i have to remove [ie_immediate] if i want to make it to work after some seconds? so is not very op
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 02:02:28 pm by randomgenericusername »

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2016, 11:28:09 pm »

"A" is just a reference for an interaction's targets. You could change it if you want, so long as it remains consistent.

For the secret, you might want to add this under the CDI:TARGET line:

[CDI:TARGET_RANGE:A:1]
            [CDI:MAX_TARGET_NUMBER:A:1]

In the transformation interaction, you must have some time trigger set up for the interaction to work. Keep the [IE_IMMEDIATE] token. If you're not happy with how quickly the creature changes, you'll want to increase the start time within the syndrome. Furthermore, unless you modded the changes yourself, that creature would not have a DEFAULT caste, only a choice of either a MALE or FEMALE caste.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 11:29:55 pm by ShinQuickMan »

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: secret to transform into animals questions
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2016, 07:27:56 am »

thanks for the info, i was really confused and couldnt understand what was that for.
where do i add PROB chance of transformation? is before START in ce_body_transformation? sorry if i just keep spaming this with questions
edit: at the end, im just going to make the secret be used by all races and remove the custom one i made
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 07:31:16 am by randomgenericusername »

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2016, 01:27:08 pm »

Conventionally, PROB is defined before START. No idea if that's a requirement, though.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2016, 01:32:12 pm »

Okay, okay, here's what you need.

First off, you'll need the transformation interaction.
You want it to last 12 hours and have a cooldown of 24 hours.  Now, keep in mind that time works differently in adventure mode and fort mode.  600 ticks is half a day in either mode, but in adventure mode that'll last you until the next town while in fort mode it'll be over after about ten (real time) seconds... which should still be enough for one quick battle.
You can extend it by using the DWF_STRETCH tag, which will increase its duration in fort mode, but we'll work with that later.
You wanted it to start after 10 seconds, but what time scale do you actually mean?  The shortest 'syndrome timer' possible in adventure mode is 72 ticks (this will happen if you give it START:1), and in fort mode the whole transformation will only last for 10 real-time seconds, so it's hard to judge.  I left it out for now.

My advice would be to not use regular WAIT_TIME for this interaction, because cooldowns can't be adjusted between modes and long-term cooldowns can be kind of wonky and unpredictable in adventure mode (I think they might not tick down while you're in fast travel).  Instead, use a syndrome class that prevents the transformation being applied.  This can also be used to prevent other transformations if you want, so someone can have many transformations available but will still be limited to one per day.

For the probability transformation, this is also possible and has to do with the way transformations are applied.  When multiple transformations are applied to a creature, they all "take effect", but only the first one will actually be applied (since a creature can only be one creature at a time).  If the timer on the first runs out while another transformation is "active", they will transform into the second creature (not needed here, but good to know).  So, by making the giant bear transformation 20% first, then the regular transformation 100%, they will have a 20% chance of transforming into a giant bear, and if this does not happen they will become a regular bear.  (You can layer this as much as you want to make a 'random polymorph' spell.)

Also, when you use probability syndromes, make sure to separate them into different syndromes.  Otherwise problems can happen when you load a saved game (any syndrome with an active effect will apply all of its possible effects when a game is loaded, ignoring probabilities).

Code: [Select]
[INTERACTION:MORPH_BEAR]
[I_SOURCE:CREATURE_ACTION]
[IT_CANNOT_HAVE_SYNDROME_CLASS:MORPH_COOLDOWN]
[IE_IMMEDIATE]
[SYNDROME]
[CE_BODY_TRANSFORMATION:START:0:END:600:PROB:20]
[CE:CREATURE:GIANT_BEAR_GRIZZLY:MALE] <-- There must be a caste unless you make a custom, sexless creature.  You can make more probability effects to make it random whether you transform into a male or female, if you feel the need to do so.
[SYNDROME]
[SYN_CLASS:MORPH_COOLDOWN]
[CE_BODY_TRANSFORMATION:START:0:END:600:PROB:100]
[CE:CREATURE:BEAR_GRIZZLY:MALE]
[CE_SKILL_ROLL_ADJUST:PERC:100:PERC_ON:0:START:0:END:1200] <-- This does nothing, but 'holds' the syndrome until the 1200 ticks are expired, ensuring that the MORPH_COOLDOWN class is still active.
[CE_FLASH_TILE:TILE:25:5:0:1:FREQUENCY:500:60:START:600:END:1200] <-- Makes an arrow flash when the creature cannot transform.  Not necessary, but helpful for adventurers.

For the secret, use this:

[IE_IMMEDIATE]
      [SYNDROME]
         [CE_CAN_DO_INTERACTION:START:0]
            [CDI:INTERACTION:MORPH_BEAR]
            [CDI:WAIT_PERIOD:0] <-- No wait period; the SYN_CLASS will ensure that they cannot transform.

Or if you want it as a natural ability:

[CAN_DO_INTERACTION:MORPH_BEAR]
          [CDI:WAIT_PERIOD:0]

You can make as many transformations as you want this way.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2016, 01:37:09 pm »

wow! thanks a lot!  :D this will be very useful!
Pages: [1] 2