Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: ERRANT: Out of mission: Signups, suggestions, armory, r&d, testing and barracks.  (Read 9006 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile

mimetic skin + squadsight sniper = OP
silenced m4s? we csgo now
counter ayys win

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Missed the point there, Syv.  Gear shouldn't be permanent.  That's what stats are for.

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Combat system shakedown: MidnightJaguar is volunteering as a crash dummy.

He's going up against 2 ak-47 toting terrorists.
Never ever cease communication with your enemies, never ever cease interaction with them, never isolate yourself from them. Never ignore them, relish the time to deal with them, to exercise banter. The biggest mistake one can make is ignoring one's enemies. Go out of your way to pick a fight today.

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Making Aigre hate me, twenty-four bullet points at a time:

AMMO:

1.What source did you use for the energy of the various different bullets?
2.There's three classes of AP ammunition, but it isn't specified what class 5.56, 7.62, and 12.7 AP are.  Are they tungsten-core?
3.Also, the post now says hollow-points are equal in cost to FMJ.  Do you mean AP?  There's no price provided for FMJ.
4.If I shoot someone with .44 HP, how does it react to armor?  If it's five resistance armor, that means it mitigates 5 damage, putting the bullet to 15 damage, which is then doubled due to the HP?  For 30 damage overall?
5.The armory doesn't list any shotgun slugs.  Can we buy them, and if so, at what price?  In theory, a slug should be around damage 40, non-spitzer, and be either steel-core or tungsten core--I know the former exists, but I imagine the latter does as well.
6.Relatedly, 00 Buck has nine pellets, not eight.  I suppose you might've just chosen eight because it matches the muzzle energy more closely, though.

MECHANICS:
7.How is a hit from burst fire calculated?  Is it simply a pass/fail, and if you hit, every shot in the burst hits and deal damage?
8.Is there any difference between suppressing with an SMG, an AR, or an LMG?  Is suppression easier/more effective with an LMG than an SMG?
9.Can we supress with pistols?
10.If a person is shot in the arm, dealing damage to their overall hitpoints, do they take any negative effect before critical existence failure?  Or can I still shoot a pistol with my arm despite having taken six 7.62 rounds to it already?
11.You said one-handed shooting has horrendous recoil control.  What does this mean?  Does it reduce all automatic fire to spray'n'pray?  Allow you to only make one semiauto shot per turn?
12.Are we allowed to dual-wield pistols/SMGs, gaining double the shots per turn in trade for a -1 penalty to each shot?  Statistically, this would be an improvement in most cases.
13.If I use a shield to provide a buddy with cover, does that count as mobile low cover for him, mobile full cover, or does it just grant him the shield's resistance?
14.If low cover, can I use the shield while a buddy is in low cover already to grant him full cover?
15.You mentioned we can aim at body parts without penalty in melee combat--what is the normal cost?  -1?
16.If aimed shots *do* cost only -1, can they be used to easily counter shields by aiming at the revealed arm with only a minor penalty?

STEALTH:
17.Can we please have costs and stats for an SMG?  You've mentioned they exist, but we currently don't have one in the armory.
18.Can we have *truly* suppressed weapons?  I don't mean supressors on M249s and such--that's worthless--but suppressed pistols and SMGs with actual subsonic cartridges.  I figure that if you want us to be fighting asymmetrically, stealth is a much better idea than open combat.
19.Assuming we actually can use real stealth weapons, can we get conversions for the M4s to chamber them in a caliber which is actually effective at subsonic velocities?  Subsonic velocity makes an already weak cartridge (.45, at least in this game) even weaker, so we'd probably prefer something with more oomph.  Perhaps .458 SOCOM, as that can have equivalent energy to the 5.56 but at subsonic speeds, isn't spitzer, and has tungsten core loads.
20.If we do go the stealth route, would moving quietly use dex to avoid alerting ayys?  If so, at what range would a +1 prevent being heard?  Close?  Medium?

MISCELLANY:
21.Since you're significantly altering the game rules, we can rebuild our character sheets, right?
22.When I'm building a char sheet, do pluses after the first still require increasing amounts of negative levels?  I.E, does shooting +4 require 4 negative levels, or 10?
23.As far as I can tell, "hecajoule" isn't a word.  You're probably thinking of a "hectojoule", or a hundred joules.
24.Before, when I asked about drum mags, you said they'd cost 100$ for an M4.  Is that still true?  Can we get .45 drum mags as well?

@Dev
I agree.  Body mods should give new abilities, rather than strengthen old abilities.  Preferably, they should come with partial drawbacks, as well; You can get mimetic skin, and it'll grant -3 to your enemies' attempts to shoot you... but it requires you not wear clothes if you want it to be effective.

Ammo:
1. Highest possible combat load. Wikipedia's are a bit outdated. Then rounded off to the nearest 100 joules and fudged a bit.
2. The current NATO rounds come in FMJ or steel core. Acquiring Tungsten will be in the realm of *science*.
3. Your Ball rounds are FMJ now.
4. That's correct. (20-5) * 2. Likewise a Spitzer might get (20-5)/3 = 5
5. When I can think of how slugs would enhance the game experience. Yeah. For now it's a game of use the right tools.
6. Yeah math.

Mechanics:
7. A single burst is like a single semi-auto shot, either it all hits or all misses. You double burst at close range and triple burst at melee range.
8./9. I haven't fully fleshed out suppression math: but the general idea is that you take a mind roll when under fire.
10. I could do this arbitrarily, but most likely, yes a wounded arm would slap on aim penalties, and a wounded leg would slap on movement penalties.
11.  In the realm of at least (-2)
12. Fine it could be (-1) if you're strong. Get +2 strength minimum.
13. It depends on how buddy is using the shield. If he's in a good firing position it's half. If he's hugging you real tight, it's full. Shield resistance and hitpoints calculated separately.
14. I suppose.
15. normal cost with a gun is -1. In melee, you are expected to go for weakpoints in the armor more instinctively.
16. The shield would count as cover. If enemy is sticking hand way out, maybe. But who does that?

Stealth:
17. I plan on implementing an extreme lightweight smg for non-strength users and also for use with a shield. MP-7 maybe. I don't like the P90, too big.
18. On subsonic pistol loads yeah sure.
19. Maybe, let me shake down the combat system first.
20. Dex, intuition are used for sneaking and spotting. Int vs dex. Enemy is actively trying to find you.

Misc
21. yeah you can rebuild
22. ER rules for points. Don't go -277 or I will space you. Let's say -4 is the max.
23. heca is a completely respectable metrics prefix.
24. NO DRUM MAGS for little guns.
Never ever cease communication with your enemies, never ever cease interaction with them, never isolate yourself from them. Never ignore them, relish the time to deal with them, to exercise banter. The biggest mistake one can make is ignoring one's enemies. Go out of your way to pick a fight today.

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile

Spoiler: inventory (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: stats (click to show/hide)
((I think this right.))
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Enemies:

Jihadi bomberman
Str:0
Dex:2
Endurance:0
Mind:1
Fate:0
Iintuition:0

Engineering: 0
Shooting:2
Melee:0
Explosives:2
Auxiliary:0
Medical:0
Science:0

Inventory:
Ak-47: 20 damage, 30 rounds per magazine
2 fragmentation grenades

Other vital stats:
Hitpoints: 100/100

Sean Patrick 2.0's Hitpoints: 100/100.

Scenario. You were patrolling the iraqi wastelands... When a couple of jihadis walked into a clinic, and started taking hostages.

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

God Damn it, why the hell is security so bad at their jobs?

Pop smoke and get to cover. Then fire some suppressing burst fire at the closer Iraq.
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You pop smoke at your own location, get into cover and fire a burst into one of the windows where you think a shooter might be.

You successfully alerted the hostiles of your presence.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sean Patrick:

« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 01:07:17 am by Aigre Excalibur »

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wait for any retaliatory shots. Then start shooting.

((It looks like I'm pretty far away. How far away in general am I like 100 yards? 50 yards? 50 feet?))

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You are at Medium range (around 100 meters) away. It would take an entire turn's sprint to close the distance.

A terrorist takes a potshot at you with his Ak. Single-round.

(1d6=5)+(2 for skill) (-1) for range (-2) for cover (-2) for smoke.
Total (3)

The shot grazes Sean.

It his him in the chest, but is deflected by his armor.

Sean Returns fire.

1d6=5 (+2) for skill (-1) for range (-4) for cover (building) (+1) for aimed shot
Total=(3)

Sean Patrick grazes the terrorist back, hitting them in the chest.
Rolling a 3d100 for critical wounds = (11, 28, 97)
The terrorist is bleeding from a ruptured aorta, his guts are spilling on the floor, but otherwise he's fine.

Terrorist 1 health: 100 - 6 - 10 for major bleeding - 10 for guts spilling around = 74/100

Terrorist 2: Waiting for close assault, taking hostages. Doing the human shield thing.

Sean Patrick
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 01:27:19 am by Aigre Excalibur »

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Take another shot at the injured terrorist.

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Said terrorist is hiding behind a wall, trying to shove his guts back in.

He rolls for mind (1d6=3) and manages not to freak out. But barely.

Some of the civilians around him are freaking out though.

His partner takes a morale check with mind. (1d6=6) And is filled with religious fervor at the sight of his comrade's sacrifice.

He executes a random civilian who looks like they might be christian.

Sean Patrick puts another bullet through the window.

Terrorist 1: (76-10-10) = 56/100
Terrorist 2: 100/100

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Pop more smoke a bit farther up and then start laying down suppressive fire while moving up. Run to the best cover available at about half way up from my previous position.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 01:41:35 am by MidnightJaguar »

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sean pops smoke again and runs forward, hip firing at the windows. The terrorists are all taking cover.

Sean rolls (3+2) for shooting, and is being economical with his ammo, and burst fires 3 times from the hip while firing. He finds a conveniently placed car about 20m from the clinic.

Terrorist 1 rolls for charisma to convince nearby nurses to patch him up. (1d6=6) The nurses become infected with his fanaticism. Or maybe they are just going full-on stockholm syndrome.

They bandage his stomach wound as best they can and give him something to slow down the internal bleeding.

Terrorist 1: (56-5) Bandaged stomach wound, internal bleeding. Total: (51/100 HP)
Terrorist 2: (100/100)

Sean Patrick:
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 01:49:30 am by Aigre Excalibur »

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just wait for one them to try to take a shot at him and then return fire. If this doesn't happen, however, then the burst fire through the wall where Sean thinks the Tangos are.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7