Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: ERRANT: Out of mission: Signups, suggestions, armory, r&d, testing and barracks.  (Read 9012 times)

TinFoilTopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What about putting numbers to everything and/or using hitpoint-damage systems?

Things I wana do:

1. Quantify how many shots happen when someone shoots semi-auto at various ranges.

2. How many shots exactly is "suppressive fire"? How well aimed are those shots?

3. If a combatant receives non-critical shots, how does that affect its effectiveness?

4. Maybe we can use Talvi's system of engaging multiple targets - roll x dice for x targets pick the lowest

5. Hitpoints!? It would only apply for non-critical hits. - If you're brain or spine is destroyed, you're dead. But military medicine would state that most people can take serious damage, even rifle-bullet damage and keep fighting. Even mortal wounds, like the destruction of the heart, can still allow someone to run on adrenaline long enough to run up to the enemy and shank him.
200 joules is the prescribed minimum energy for a bullet to destroy a critical human organ.
Lets say our 5.56 Nato is modern M855/856 with an energy of 1976 joules. How many non-crits can a man take without stopping?
Rule of thumb for energy loss is 1/2 per 300-500 meters depending on drag.

Well in theory, the only immediate problems that arise from gunfire are broken bones/tendons, fucked up organs, and slightly less immediately, blood loss. The amount of pain one can withstand is difficult to quantify, however , and likely varies from person to person. So how many non-critical shots someone can take is very much a difficult question to answer realistically.

However, for the purpose of ERRANT I guess anywhere from 3-7 depending on location

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Firing rules:
Melee: 3 shots on semi auto.
Short: 2 shots on Semi Auto
Medium and above: 1 shot on Semi-Auto

Assault rifles should have the advantage of doing the same in bursts:
Melee: 3 bursts
Short: 2 bursts
Medium+: 1 burst

No one should be using an m14 in full auto. The spread should be way to much to be practical. Maybe the m14 EBR should be counted as semi-auto, with a spray and pray mode for melee shooting.

M249 (aimed) firing:
10 round bursts.
Melee: 3
Short: 2
Medium: 1

50 round long suppressive bursts:
1/6 accuracy on short/melee?

You empty the magazine on full auto firing on a 6.

Looking at modern helmet cam footage, it does seem that machine gunners spend a lot of time shooting at nothing. Probably just for the sake of returning fire in the general direction of the enemy.

Never ever cease communication with your enemies, never ever cease interaction with them, never isolate yourself from them. Never ignore them, relish the time to deal with them, to exercise banter. The biggest mistake one can make is ignoring one's enemies. Go out of your way to pick a fight today.

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile

I like the firing rules, but how do they apply to pistols and PDW's?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 10:14:13 am by MidnightJaguar »
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Pistols and PDWs: Probably the same as semi-auto fire and burst fire.

Perhaps hip-shooting could be in long 10-15 round bursts. Or you just empty the clip.

Scopes also need a rework. Let's say they don't give a bonus but prevent negative effects from range?
Range system:
Melee: Roomfighting range, in your face range.
Short: Across a couple of rooms, bushfighting ranges of around 50m.
Medium: Ideal Assault Rifle Range with eyeballs. 100m
Long: Anything above Assault Rifle Range.
Extreme: Anything physically impossible to hit without calibrating your sights. ~500m+

Reflex/no magnification: Optimal at melee AND short range.

ACOG 1.5-3x: Optimal at medium range

By all means chuck the two together.

Sniper scopes: M14 EBR comes with 3.5-10x
It is pretty difficult to hit anything past 100m (medium range) even with a scope. Especially a moving, hiding enemy that doesn't want to be hit. But not impossible. We need to look at when the dodge roll comes into play. If everyone rolls to dodge after they are shot at, no one will hit shit.
Snipers generally have to depend on a spotter with a rangefinder to get the distance they are shooting at. Not impossible to hit something with an uncalibrated gun, but it can get outside of the scope above 500 meters or so. Maybe a sniper has to declare a range 1 turn before a long distance shot.
Never ever cease communication with your enemies, never ever cease interaction with them, never isolate yourself from them. Never ignore them, relish the time to deal with them, to exercise banter. The biggest mistake one can make is ignoring one's enemies. Go out of your way to pick a fight today.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile

Shoot a smoke into the room and then run in with a tomahawk.

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Proposal for dodging and cover rules:

Successful dodges while sprinting makes you a limited exposure target, giving shots against you a [-4] difficulty. You must be dodging before the shot. Someone with a total of +2 has a 1/6 chance of grazing you. +3 has 2/6 to hit. +4 has 3/6 to hit.

Cover:
Half Cover is simply grabbing whatever you can find. They give shots a [-2] difficulty to hit. If someone shoots through your cover, your average flowerpot or sandbag-thick obstacle has an armor of say, 2 kilojoules.

Full cover would be more solid walls or trenches. They give shots a [-4] difficulty to hit. Interior walls have an armor of 4 kilojoules.

Shooting "hull-down" from a perfect defilade (or wall) gives you a [-5] difficulty to be hit and gives your own shooting [-1].

Blindfiring keeps you in cover, but completely negates skill.

Hitting with a melee weapon:
melee vs melee opposed roll?
melee vs dex opposed roll?

Proposal for a damage system:

Baseline of 10 kilojoules of hitpoints at END 0. 8 and 6 at -1 and -2. +4 for every END point above 0.
Injuries and conditions are sort-of separate. Hitpoints are just how much physical trauma you can take before passing out.

Full damage for hits on the head and chest. Half damage for hits on limbs.

Critical hits, like getting an organ shot out, adds 1d10 damage each. 1 damage per turn from bleeding out. 2 damage per turn from potentially fatal wounds.

Starting Interceptor armor has front, back and side plates, with an armor value of 3 kilojoules, and an ablative rating of 10 kilojoules. A plate fails when it runs out of ablation.
((level 3 NIJ rated for 7.62 NATO is equivalent to 6mm RHA or 13mm ceramic. Level 4 rated for 30-06 Springfield which has an energy of about 4 kilojoules is about 12mm RHA, 18mm ceramic))
The soft armor reduces all hits by 0.5 kilojoules. (roughly level IIA) ((level IIIA that protects against .44 Magnum would be 1.0 kilojoules)

Modern 5.56 NATO is 2.0 Kilojoules of damage. 7.62 NATO is 3.5 Kilojoules of damage. armor piercing cores negate 2 KJ of armor. FMJs are steel tipped nowadays and have 1 KJ of AP. Hollow points double wound damage.

An unarmored target getting hit in the lungs gets 2+1d10 damage. If it survives, it takes 2 damage per turn. I suppose you can take chest cavity hits without going critical, but will still need immediate medical attention for 2 damage per turn.

Shrapnel and light bullets are dangerous not for their raw kinetic trauma causing damage, but for their ability to hit something important.

Raw blast of a hand grenade is around 1000 kilo joules. (0.18Kg x 1.33 x 4.184 x 10^6 joules) Cube root that energy for every meter away from the grenade. It's a steel sphere that produces shrapnel. Maybe 200 shrapnel cube rooted per meter away from the grenade?

Melee:
Kinetic energy of a thrusting attack is around 60 joules. An overhead swing is 120 joules or so. Maybe melee weapons could be turned into levers to factor in and multiply damage.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 02:25:56 pm by Aigre Excalibur »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile

I recommend Melee vs Melee for dodges and parries, because it makes sense and makes Dex less of an omnistat.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile

Take everything written here with a whole sack of salt.  I have put hours upon hours of thought into these suggestions, long before ERRANT existed.  I also decided long ago that they weren't practical due to being overcomplicated.  Also note that my ideas are meant to prioritize a very strange balance  between gameplay, realism, and usability.  It fails to some extent on every one, especially the last.

Also, any actual numbers given within these spoilers are not recommended--they're only meant to illustrate.  My game used dice pools for stats rather than bonuses, and everything else was percentile.  Again, overcomplicated.

Spoiler: @Hitpoints (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: @Shooting rates/recoil (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: @Aiming, cover (click to show/hide)

Still writing on the other topics, but I'm on a phone so it's slow... Also, I'm multitasking a lot ATM.  Just posting this so others can see and consider it.

I think that's every topic?  I can't think of what else to talk about.  I've almost certainly made lots of mistakes and even more ambiguities, so feel free to ask questions.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile

As for hitpoints, I thought that it was just to measure damage to parts other than major organs, and I always thought of the End stat being less of how fit your body is and more of how well your mind deals with damage to the body, so if you get shot in a non-vital spot, and you have high End, you're less likely to fall unconscious or give up.
I also like to have all stats be technically mental because it makes it easier when the Mi-Goes steal your brain and implant it in another body. <_<

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile

I also like end being purely mental, because there's research to suggest the ability to deal with pain is more physiological than psychological.  However, having end not actually wounds is a nerf, and players generally dislike playing rocket tag due to it literally killing character development.  Theoretically, the reduction in lethality by letting end reduce wounds shouldn't make the game worse, because people will have higher attachment to their chars despite having less chance of dying.

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Shoot a smoke into the room and then run in with a tomahawk.

You rush in through smoke. And do some melee v melee rolls on the healthy guy (Tango-4). [5+1] v [5]

You sink your axe into his chest.

(Tango-1) who is only shot in the leg shoots at you with a shotgun. [4] He hits you square in the chest [5]. You endurance roll for [5]

You get buckshot penetrating through the gaps in your plates. But you take it like a man.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile

"Jokes on you, I'm not even wearing armor!"

Kill his face.

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Jokes on you, I'm not even wearing armor!"

Kill his face.

You're pretty dead then, for not wearing any armor. But your endurance allows you to run up to the shooter and axe his face.

[+1] for melee skill [-1] for an aimed strike against a body part. You roll [6]. And you decapitate the shooter.

Then you register the buckshot in your body, and decide to leave it.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile

"Eh, medic'll fix it."

Keep killing!

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Eh, medic'll fix it."

Keep killing!

You endurance a roll [3]

You crawl up to one of the other wounded guys, the guy already hit in the chest, and axe him too. You roll [6] In the chest [5]. You cut him in half.

You endurance roll again [3].

Now you faint for good. Game over.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7