Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adventurers dream?  (Read 1351 times)

kontako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adventurers dream?
« on: February 23, 2016, 07:46:36 pm »

About 3 days ago, I experienced the strangest glitch I ever had. It took me this long to verify that I hadn't stuffed up in some way.

All was normal, I started up my game and unretired my adventurer. Instantly I knew something was wrong, for I had retired my adventurer in a human town and then unretired in a dwarven hillocks. No biggy, I thought, my adventurer probably went out for a stroll. (It couldn't have been a different save for my adventurer had the same name, armour and the adventurer's log recorded all the same locations and events) I opened the adventurer log to look at the map to find my town 'Flighturges'. I didn't recognise the map at all, I was completely disoriented. That's alright, I thought, I went to my locations tab and tried to zoom to my known locations. They didn't exist, yet they did in the adventurer log. I was baffled beyond words. In one last attempt to make sense of the situation, I opened a map I had of my world. I couldn't match the map with my location. My adventurer was in another universe.

As you can imagine, I was quite upset at the situation. I opened up the task manager and forced the game to crash. Once I restarted it all was normal, my adventurer was in the town that I had retired in, all the locations existed again and I went on as usual. It must've been a dream.

Has anyone else experienced something similar? Is it possible my adventurer had simply moved, forgotten previously known locations, drawn a new map, and that the fault was mine in being unable to match the location? So far I've been unable to recreate the bug, I've done exactly as I have before.

"Confederacy of Businesses"?! By Armok's Blood! These Communist animals are CAPITALISTS!
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"
*gobbles menacingly*

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Adventurers dream?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 07:51:21 pm »

About 3 days ago, I experienced the strangest glitch I ever had. It took me this long to verify that I hadn't stuffed up in some way.

All was normal, I started up my game and unretired my adventurer. Instantly I knew something was wrong, for I had retired my adventurer in a human town and then unretired in a dwarven hillocks. No biggy, I thought, my adventurer probably went out for a stroll. (It couldn't have been a different save for my adventurer had the same name, armour and the adventurer's log recorded all the same locations and events) I opened the adventurer log to look at the map to find my town 'Flighturges'. I didn't recognise the map at all, I was completely disoriented. That's alright, I thought, I went to my locations tab and tried to zoom to my known locations. They didn't exist, yet they did in the adventurer log. I was baffled beyond words. In one last attempt to make sense of the situation, I opened a map I had of my world. I couldn't match the map with my location. My adventurer was in another universe.

As you can imagine, I was quite upset at the situation. I opened up the task manager and forced the game to crash. Once I restarted it all was normal, my adventurer was in the town that I had retired in, all the locations existed again and I went on as usual. It must've been a dream.

Has anyone else experienced something similar? Is it possible my adventurer had simply moved, forgotten previously known locations, drawn a new map, and that the fault was mine in being unable to match the location? So far I've been unable to recreate the bug, I've done exactly as I have before.

Im sure this post is an attempt at a creepy pasta, but we have world activation now so when a person is retired they can move around on their own volition (including moving to new towns) and new towns are established destroyed and rebuilt in play, so maybe the first time you unretired the 2 week interim may have ended up different.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

kontako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 08:00:14 pm »

Im sure this post is an attempt at a creepy pasta, but we have world activation now so when a person is retired they can move around on their own volition (including moving to new towns) and new towns are established destroyed and rebuilt in play, so maybe the first time you unretired the 2 week interim may have ended up different.

It's not at all, I'm just baffled.
I thought it might've been that my adventurer had simply moved. The main reason I made the post was because none of the locations I had known existed on the map, none of the hamlets, towns, camps, tombs, etc.

On my map, I could see a series of fortresses / hillocks in the shape of a 'h' out in a large grassy plain, however on a map that I had previously exported I could not find this location.
Here is an image of the map, I've circled a potential location but as you can see it's not even close to a 'h'.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Is it possible that a civilisation had founded a series of settlements in that two week period so that my map would represent an unknown location?
"Confederacy of Businesses"?! By Armok's Blood! These Communist animals are CAPITALISTS!
*gobbles menacingly*

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 08:16:54 pm »

I assumed it was always the case when you came out of retirement, your map would only have the area known by the civ that site is a member of. And if that site is owned by a nomadic group, you lose everything but a 6-tile radius of surroundings.

If you visited any sites outside that area, those will have to be rediscovered in order to get knowledge of them back; otherwise you won't be able to tell stories of what you did there of events still on your rumors list! This has made retirement a very unattractive option to me; I won't do it unless I have no intention of unretiring the character.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 08:24:28 pm »

It's not at all, I'm just baffled.
I thought it might've been that my adventurer had simply moved. The main reason I made the post was because none of the locations I had known existed on the map, none of the hamlets, towns, camps, tombs, etc.

On my map, I could see a series of fortresses / hillocks in the shape of a 'h' out in a large grassy plain, however on a map that I had previously exported I could not find this location.
Here is an image of the map, I've circled a potential location but as you can see it's not even close to a 'h'.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Is it possible that a civilisation had founded a series of settlements in that two week period so that my map would represent an unknown location?

Yes, it is possible.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

kontako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 08:29:43 pm »

So you're telling me I've become mad and terribly confused for no reason at all... fantastic!
You can't believe my relief, I had assumed that it would have some terrible repercussions and cause all sorts of crashes and bugs to come.

Although I thought that you collect memberships with civilisations as you go on, apparently I'm members of all the towns I retired in previously. Wouldn't I maintain the membership?
Wow, this is considerably less spooky-cinematicy and more embarrassing like.

I'm going to hide in the corner while the heat from this wears off...
*gobbles menacingly*

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 08:55:26 pm »

Although I thought that you collect memberships with civilisations as you go on, apparently I'm members of all the towns I retired in previously. Wouldn't I maintain the membership?
When you join a new civ, you become a former member of your previous civ and any site groups in it. You can only collect site memberships within one civ. But you'll retain memberships in sites without a civ, both nomadic groups and groups you established yourself. The only way to give up those is to join a performance troupe, which will wipe memberships in all groups (unless that's a bug that has been since addressed.)