Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Rothral  (Read 5946 times)

Zorromorph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rothral
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2007, 02:53:00 pm »

Mid-Autumn, 1051

Edos handled the negotiations, since Torak was asleep and couldn’t be woken in time.  There were really two options:  he could try to trade for an iron pick, or he could get a couple barrels and four logs.  There wasn’t enough to get both.  He went with the pick, offering the whole lot of our produce in exchange.  The merchants agreed, and while the lack of timber would still be a problem, hopefully we’d find some kind of rock underneath this accursed sand to remedy that.  

Mystry had the most aptitude with the new equipment, and made history on the 16th of Sandstone, beginning the process of digging down into what lies beneath the sand.    At first, he found simply … more red sand, but eventually hit dolomite, and below that magnetite.  He may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but if there’s anything a dwarf knows, it’s rocks.  

The mood of the outpost changed almost instantly, like a finely-crafter and well-designed lever being thrown.  Everybody came(ran, tripped, stumbled) down the newly formed stairs to see for themselves – there was no need to call a meeting.  The excitement and newfound hope soon devolved into a royal shouting match.  Each dwarf had his or her own ideas about what kind of caverns to dig, what they wanted to build, and everybody of course thought their way was THE way to do it.  

Then Torak spoke up “ARE YOU ALL QUITE FINISHED!”.  As he was normally softspoken for a dwarf, everybody shut up, stunned.  “Do we all really want to give in to the nobles like that?”  It was clear nobody got his meaning, so he continued.  “They sent us here thinking we’d die, but knowing that even if we survived, we’d still be as good as dead because nobody would want to come to the middle of this Armok-forsaken desert when the rich fortresses of the Western Mountains are always looking for new recruits.  We’ve beaten the odds so far, but if we just build another one of what they already have(closer, more lucrative, and more well-known than we’ll ever be in this hell-hole), we’ll just be an footnote no matter what we might find or build here.  We’ve got to do something different – something so different and grand that it will be impossible to ignore us.”

It was a valid point, and no-one disagreed … or expressed it if they did.  Still, none of them had any real idea what they could make that would change the way the powers that be halfway across the known world saw them as merely cast-offs.  Torak and Xotes had spoken of this moment before though, knowing it might come if they survived long enough.  It was Xotes who first verbalized their idea …

“There is one way.  We build a city on the surface … a city that will be visible from miles away.”

After just standing their dumbfounded for a couple minutes, Erendor spoke up – this was just such a bat-shit crazy idea.  “Are you nuts!  Cities are for humans – what self-respecting dwarf would ever want to live in one?”

“This won’t be just any city, Erendor.”, Xotes replied.  “Let me show you what I mean.”

Borrowing Mystry’s pick, Torak carved the rudiments of the design into the dolomite cave, while Xotes explained it.  This would not be like any human city known – it would be a paradise fit for any dwarf, a unique and grand oasis that would earn the respect of not just other dwarves, but the envy of the humans and elves as well.  A great heritage for their children and grandchildren, who would have a heritage of freedom and prosperity far removed from the arrogant sermonizing so common in the Mountainhomes.  The idea grew on them, and within a few hours all had agreed to the plan.

The first step was to build to Great Plaza – a massive square that would form the very center of the city.  Mystry would continue mining dolomite as fast as possible, Xotes and Edos would make sure food supplies kept up, and when not needed for plant gathering the others would work on the long process of turning the boulders into presentable floors and walls.  Edos also set to work making barrels out of the three logs they had that would no longer be needed for workshops – five barrels is of course still woefully inadequate, but it sure beats the heck out of two.

Zorromorph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2007, 03:51:00 pm »

Late Autumn, 1051

The Plaza floors are underway, and a gratuitious screenshot of our update outpost just because.

erendor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2007, 10:13:00 pm »

A city!  Pah!  Surface cities are too vulnerable to attack, and the deeper we dig, the more precious things we'll find!

Zorromorph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2007, 11:32:00 pm »

Building a city and digging as deep as possible are not mutually exclusive goals  :).

Zorromorph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2007, 12:00:00 am »

Early Winter, 1051

More of the same -- Mystry digging, everyone else building the plaza floors or gathering more shrubs.

Sandono

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2007, 12:06:00 am »

As long as I get to kill, eat, and drink I'm fine.
t this rate, Baron Lorn is going to replace the entire population with his own children since the other dwarves either very rarely pop one out, or have no idea what that thing between their legs are used for besides going to the bathroom and making them f

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2007, 12:18:00 am »

Hmm, Nes would like to be an immigrant again. If you get a weaver or clothier, I'd like him/her. If you plan on having everyone run around naked to avoid the clothing bugs, s/he could always sit around making cloth crafts.

And if you don't care for that, well, recruit him/her into a different job  :)

000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

Zorromorph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2007, 12:21:00 am »

I'm not sure what clothing bugs you are referring to(maybe because I've never messed with it much), but it'll be relevant to this game so enlighten me so I can decide what to do about it  :).

Oh and yeah, you are added to the list.

Reign on your Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2007, 12:40:00 am »

Nobody ever takes off old clothing, they just wear it until it rots off.
ou''re just as free to state your opinion as I am free to completely disregard it.

Zorromorph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2007, 12:50:00 am »

Mid-Winter, 1051

The plaza floor is now roughly one-eighth completed, and Mystry is gradually improving -- it's more than full-time job for one dwarf just to keep up with him.

[ December 14, 2007: Message edited by: Zorromorph ]

Zorromorph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2007, 01:44:00 pm »

Late Winter, 1051

Continuing progress.  From now on each month's update will be labeled by month instead of season, which in this tropical climate has no true meaning.

Here's a look at most of what Mystry has carved out so far, leaving the magnetite in the west alone for now:

Although records are woefully incomplete, here are a few facts from the first year:

Dwarves:  7-7
Exported Wealth:  211
Created Wealth:  2,810
Net:  2,599
Animals:  2-0

Reign on your Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2007, 02:07:00 pm »

Do we starters get townhouses?
ou''re just as free to state your opinion as I am free to completely disregard it.

Zorromorph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2007, 02:14:00 pm »

Everybody does eventually, but the most important dwarves get them first(which I expect to be the starting seven of course).  However, that won't happen for a while yet.

Edit:  There will also be certain sections of the city reserved for nobles/highly important/useful dwarves, etc.  But again, that's a ways off into the future.

[ December 14, 2007: Message edited by: Zorromorph ]

Zorromorph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2007, 11:02:00 pm »

Granite, 1052

Over a quarter of the plaza floor is finished.  Only Sandono remains on plant-gathering duty, with Edos doing his cooking and brewing thing, Xotes running the farm, and everybody else working on the flooring.

Zorromorph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2007, 01:45:00 am »

Slate, 1052

More of the same, with nary a break in the monotony.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4